Aimpoint delimma...

This is a discussion on Aimpoint delimma... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at an Aimpoint Comp ML3 red dot for my Sig556, but I've never used one of those gunsights. How well would it perform ...

Thread: Aimpoint delimma...

Question Aimpoint delimma...

I'm looking at an Aimpoint Comp ML3 red dot for my Sig556, but I've never used one of those gunsights. How well would it perform in a scenario with limited light, or if I'm using an attached tactical light?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    The red dot optic typically works well enough in low light or with a light. I have not used the M3 version, however. You may need to dial the dot brighter for use with a light.
    If in doubt of the use of a red dot in general, why not buy a $10-30 version first and try it? Ultimately , you will need to decide what works well for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSig View Post
    I'm looking at an Aimpoint Comp ML3 red dot for my Sig556, but I've never used one of those gunsights. How well would it perform in a scenario with limited light, or if I'm using an attached tactical light?
    Red dot sights perform great in limited light. A far better solution for a rifle than night sights. I've got an Aimpoint Micro and a flashlight on my rifle and they work fine together. Just make sure you find a setting for the dot that's bright enough to be seen against a target illuminated by the light and you're good.

Thanks a lot for the input. I went ahead and ordered the Aimpoint and I only ended up paying $360!

Thanks again BotachTactical.Com!!!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Lead Moderator
    If you can see the target the red dot will work. Most folks use red dots by looking "past" them, aiming with both eyes open and the dot superimposed on the target.

The benefit of the red dot is there are no "sights" to "line up", the bullet goes where the red dot is....... Even if it isn't in the "center" of your optic.

BTW: I'm using an Aimpoint M4s on a SIG 556.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've hunted everything from rabbits to geese to deer with the Propoint. I still own two Propoints and a Bushnell holographic sight. I've used them on shotguns (shot and slug), rifles and pistols. The red dot sight is designed to be shot with both eyes open. Your dominant eye sees through the aperture and your non-dominant eye sees everything peripherally. Your brain superimposes the two and you see the red dot projected onto the target. Most red dot sights are parallax ground so that wherever you see the dot in the optic (top/bottom/right or left) the point of impact does not change. This makes them super for quick aquisition and shot placement. Having said that let me say this. The 30mm optics I've used have five minute of angle dots. My holographic sight has a one minute of angle dot. The five inch dot at 100 yards is great for deer with a slug and geese or rabbits with shot. Remember to sight in your shotshells the same way that you would a cartridge. Using shot on squirrels with a Propoint is sinful. Just get the dot anywhere in the immediate vicinity of the squirell and pull the trigger. As with any optic there are some drawbacks. If the intensity is too high it tends to overcome the target and if it's too low is hard to find. This means keeping the intensity adjusted when the ambient light is changing at dusk or dawn. You must also be religious about turning them off when through with them. They are useless if the battery is dead when you turn them on. Some have an auto off feature but I don't like the idea. Carry a replacement battery or two if needed. I believe if you play with the sight you bought you'll have the most fun you've ever had with your pants on and a gun in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    You must also be religious about turning them off when through with them. They are useless if the battery is dead when you turn them on.
    This may be true of some optics, but no Aimpoints. They will run for years on a single battery. Set them to one of the medium settings, leave them on, and replace the batteries once a year. That way the dot will always be there when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSig View Post
    Thanks again BotachTactical.Com!!!

Hope you get it from them! Botac is the last place that will ever get another penny from me!!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Thanks Blackeagle! I are gonna start researching Aimpoint semi immediately. One of the things that has kept me from using a red dot optic for home defense is the battery life.

Thanks Blackeagle! I are gonna start researching Aimpoint semi immediately. One of the things that has kept me from using a red dot optic for home defense is the battery life.
    Yep. Battery life is why I switched from an EOTech to an Aimpoint for my rifle. If I need it I don't want to be messing around with turning it on.

Lead Moderator
    Check out the Aimpoint M4, it uses AA batteries, and the battery life is measured in years..... That's one of the reasons I went with that model.
    Rick

OK I wrote those model numbers down. Now for the 64k question. Where's the best place to git one?

I ordered my ML3 through Larue Tactical, since I was also planning on using one of their mounts. LaRue Tactical
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I ordered my ML3 through Larue Tactical, since I was also planning on using one of their mounts. LaRue Tactical
    I got my M4 through LaRue also and both the M4 and 3X mounts are solid, however......... The catch on the LaRue mount for the M4 series Aimpoint is on the right side. I had to go to the Griffin charging handle since the stock SIG charging handle interfered. LaRue has some interesting stuff, and your order usually has a surprise in the box.
    Rick

Administrator

Try Optics Planet - See how their prices compare. Scroll down to the very bottom of any DefensiveCarry forum page. Click the link.
    I have purchased from them before they were a forum sponsor. So I'm not tooting their horn just because they are a sponsor.

The transaction went smooth, safe, easy, and my items were new and perfect.

OK I wrote those model numbers down. Now for the 64k question. Where's the best place to git one?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links