Pistol shooting

This is a discussion on Pistol shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I reload and shoot a lot, but mostly rifles. I've always had a few pistols around but never really got into shooting them much until ...

Thread: Pistol shooting

Pistol shooting

I reload and shoot a lot, but mostly rifles. I've always had a few pistols around but never really got into shooting them much until lately. I recently bought a CZ 85B pistol and set out to learn it well. I've put about 500 rounds through it in the past couple of weeks and today went out with it again. Shooting from a rest or off hand I'm hitting about 6 inches to the left and about the same low at 20 yards ( center of the group). Shot decent groups, for me with a pistol. A 16 round clip of shooting would have all in a 6 inch group, off the rest and about a 8 to 10 inch group off hand, but low and to the left. I did this with about 3 clips and then tried off hand with my left hand ( I'm right handed). Off hand I shot just as good a group, but 6 inches to the right and a little high. 3 clips in a row and the same thing, right handed I'm pulling to the left and low, left handed I'm pulling to the right and just a little high. So, pistol guys, what am I doing to cause this?
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like trigger control problem. Try some dry fire practice. Also it is a magazine not a clip.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

That's kind of what I was thinking, thanks. Caught me be'n lazy, magazine takes a lot longer to type than clip.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

VIP Member
    Sounds like too little finger on the trigger as well. Usually, grouping to the left for right handers is too little trigger finger/pressure. Grouping to the right for lefties is too little trigger finger/pressure. HI/LO is sight alignment and shot/recoil anticipation. It is all about the trigger control.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would also suggest testing for eye dominance...considering what you said about both right and left hand shooting.

Lead Moderator
    Usually low and left for a right hander is a trigger "jerk". Try some dry fire, and carefully watch you sight alignment for small changes while you dry fire.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have a deja-vu about this thread....seen it somewhere else in another forum maybe? My reply is the same here if that's any help.

Links