Woman purchasing a gun..... bothered me....

This is a discussion on Woman purchasing a gun..... bothered me.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at a decent gun show today. A guy , obviously not the woman's husband... and it was obvious that she brought him along ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was at a decent gun show today. A guy , obviously not the woman's husband... and it was obvious that she brought him along for his knowledge in guns (or supposed knowledge) ... are at the same table as I am.

He is telling her "you need to buy this gun"..... and begins showing it to her. She's obviously confused. So, he then begins very very quickly showing her how the gun works (a semi-auto). This is this... this is this... and you pull the slide like this..... and you are ready to fire.

She wants to look at the gun herself. He won't let her, he just flatly tells her ... this is the gun you need to buy. Period. The woman is obviously unfamiliar with guns.

My opinion , this was DUMB on several levels. I wanted to jump in .. but stayed out of it. Her comments and actions quickly told me, that she didn't know if she could operate the gun, knew nothing about the gun, didn't know the functions of the gun.... and was relying on his expertise. It was obvious from her comments, she had not been shooting any guns at all.

Now, that kind of scared me. She buys a gun she knows nothing about, whether she will like it .... let along be able to shoot it ... and nothing about the gun's operation or safe handling of it (obvious the way she tried to handle the gun that she had not had any guns in her hands before).

It made me wonder what the hell would happen if she had this thing at home.... loaded...

My point is... if someone asks for help on a gun...
    1. get them in some training and shooting them first.... .
    2. Let them get familiar with gun types and safe operation of them. Trying different types of guns, calibers, etc.
    3. Then , let them decide what the right gun is for them ... after # 1 and # 2.

And if I had been the dealer, I would have refused to sell the gun to her.

Thank God I don't work in a gunshop anymore.

Some of the things I've seen are just down right scary. Now bear in mind, the shop was right next door to a strip joint. Boy, did we get some interesting characters in there.

And if I had been the dealer, I would have refused to sell the gun to her.
    I don't know if I would've gone that far, but I may have tried to "coach" her as to what I felt was appropriate based on what she told me her needs were.

The dealers got to eat, and if he doesn't sell it to her, someone else will. If she's willing to listen and learn, then maybe holding off on a sale, and advising her would be the way to go. If she's going to trust the Rambo she brought in, and nobody else, I'd sell it, a box of ammo, a holster and say thanks you for shopping.

After all, it is her responsibility to be safe with the product she bought.

Biker

Couldn't agree more about training. All new shooters should have some gun handling and shooting training BEFORE they make their first gun purchase. I also recommend a professional (such as a CCW instructor) help the novice choose a first handgun.

I hate to see a woman shooter pressured into buying a caliber or size of handgun she doesn't like just because she's a woman. Too many husbands and boyfriends have turned women off from shooting by getting them a .38 snubbie or compact semi-auto without taking into account the shooting needs of their wife or girlfriend.
    Christian. Father. Marine.

I think a main problem is that there is not alot of adequate training for women. Lots of self defense classes (which I think there should be more off, but we will take what we can get for now).

I really wish there would be more of seminar type of setting for women to just talk about why they would want a firearm, what the motives are, do they have a safe locked storage area to keep it, if they have kids---they should have an idea in mind of how they would like to carry.

I say learn the basics first, before running off picking up a piece. First time around, do what women like doing best...TALK. Let them get their fears, stereotypes and whatever else is on there mind out in the open, then go into round 2 of deciding what may work for them, explore different options and scenarios(maybe incorporating some self defense moves)..and finally after there understand steps 1 and 2, take them to a range, get some "hands on" experience of what a firearm in the hand feels like.

And lastly, after all of this, then once her confidence is built, knowledge is bestowed on her, then she should go out with a cool head and clear mind and start looking for what suits her needs.

But to be rushed into something that maybe more traditionally a mans area, can be overwhelming and rushed.
    www.licensed2carry.com Tactical and Undercover Solutions for Men AND Women!

VIP Member
    Sounds like a straw purchase to me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sounds like a boyfriend that wants to use the gun himself, he obviously wasn't concerned about her. At any rate these are the type of people you read about somewhere down the line that did something stupid and gave us all a black eye.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sounds like the typical moron who thinks the wife/gf/mom/whatever is unable to make a decision for themselves or that their capabilties are inferior.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Well

Unfortunately, this happens every day in the gunshop. If and when the boyfriend, husband, dad, etc, shows up to "teach her how to shoot it" it only makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by CCW Jackets View Post
    I say learn the basics first, before running off picking up a piece.
    Yup. IMO, it's far better to take a class or two (with rental guns), head to the rental range for practice with various ones, perhaps even offering to help clean a few of them. After that, a person will have a measure of knowledge and comfort level to appreciate what might work as a personal gun. But blindly taking advice of someone else doesn't cut it, at least for me. That person cannot possibly know the mix of pros/cons that will most appeal to me and my situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1 on the straw purchase idea.

Sounds like the typical moron who thinks the wife/gf/mom/whatever is unable to make a decision for themselves or that their capabilties are inferior.
    These are the best two answers so far.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Yup, that's what I was thinking too.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Unfortunately, this happens every day in the gunshop. If and when the boyfriend, husband, dad, etc, shows up to "teach her how to shoot it" it only makes it worse.
    Correct!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

stupid

I have a ruger mk 2 and a smith and wesson revolver both in 22 that Have been used for more range time with beginers than anything else i have in my collection. I always like to start out low recoil to work on the basics then move up. The situation described was unfortunate but happens way to much in the real world. A couple places around me offer free range time to women on specific nights and one also has 1/2 off rental guns as well on those nights.(IIRC)

I HAVE stepped into those kinds of conversations at gun show tables. Sometimes the people are receptive to hear what another woman has to say about it, sometimes they look at me like I should mind my own business - so when that happens, I do.

What gets me is when I overhear a woman looking at a gun and she says to her husband (or boyfriend) something like, "Isn't this the kind I have at home?" and she obviously doesn't know anything about a gun she already owns!! ... big sigh...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links