First handgun

This is a discussion on First handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to purchase my first handgun, and ideally I want one that will be good to take to the range. I know a ...

Thread: First handgun

First handgun

I am looking to purchase my first handgun, and ideally I want one that will be good to take to the range. I know a 9mm would be a little cheaper to shoot, but I want a 40. I shot a HK about 10 years ago and really loved it, but they are a bit pricey. I was considering a XDM or P229, but I am open to suggestions. I am not a huge fan of the glock, but I only have experience with the baby glock. I kind of prefer additional grip/thumb safety. One problem is that I have a small wife and she sometimes has a hard time pulling back the slide on a semi auto( also less recoil= better for her). My hope would be that she learns, but I am considering a j-frame S&W357. Any opinions would help. thanks

2. Remove Ads

If you have concerns about what would fit your wife's hand, I would take her to a gun shop with you and let her be part of the decision...share the choice and you'll both be happier with the final decision...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to DC drjk, sounds like you are a little confused. I guess that's why you're posting a question. At least you know you want a range weapon, that's a start. I would look for a range that has different pistols to rent, then go shoot with the wife. Narrow the choices down the best you can then post for opinions. In my experience it's best to let your wife pick her own weapon, deciding on only one pistol for the both of you is a lot harder than cal.,price, auto vs. revolver etc.
    Good luck!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    I agree with JAT40, get each of you a gun, the same one probably isn't right for both of you. I'd get the best quality gun you can, with reliability, fit and such as other guidelines. The Sig P229 is a really nice gun, very good quality, very reliable, if it feels good to you, you really can't do better. JMO but, noone has proved me wrong yet.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

First time lady shooter? I would recomend a revolver of some sort. Much less likely to have an AD.

I, too, always recommend a revolver for first time shooters. While the autos have the "coolness factor" it comes at a price - a more complicated manual-of-arms. This leads to less time learning the weapon and poor gun-handling skills (as well as safety issues - just watch some of the idiots on YouTube sometime). Having a gun you can't shoot is a waste of your money and time. I suggest getting an older K-frame in 38/357 (J frames, while smaller, are a little harder to shoot well due to thier compact size and shorter sight radius)and shooting that until you feel you're ready to move up. The grips can be changed readilly to accomidate your wife's hands and loaded with sensible ammunition (a good starter round is the 125 JHP in 38 Special) it should do all that you need it to.

Also, stay away from the "Gun Store Commandos" that try to steer you into what they think is the "best". Find a gun that fits you, that you're comfortable with and can afford, and PRACTICE! Good luck
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

I carry a GLOCK 22, it holds 15+1. It's chunky in my hands, but I like it.

I recently handled a XDm 40 and it fits real good in my hands. May be my next EDC.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    What will the primary purpose of the pistol be? This question needs to be answered for us to steer you in the right direction. Your choices in your post are very much an apples and oranges comparison. I love my J frames but they would be my last choice as a range or house gun. They are, however, ideal for CC. A K or even better an L frame would be a better choice for that. One more round and extra weight to absorb recoil. I'm a big wheelgun fan (my EDC is an SP101) and am never shy about recommending them. In semi's, the field is wide open. The choices you have listed and the recommendations you have received are all sound. Do also consider Glocks and get out and handle and shoot as many different makes and models as you can before laying out your hard earned $.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

My gf has a kel tec p32 that was recently purchase and has almost no recoil using 71gr magtechs fmjs. She has small children fingers and could not rack/grip my keltec pf9. She is able to shoot comfortably, shoot accurately, hide it quite successfully on her tiny frame. She's 4'11" and less than 100lbs. It disappears on her and it is light enough for her to carry it frequently instead of leaving it at home. Shot 100 rds flawlessly.

this gun would serve as my house/range gun. Ideally it will be one that my wife has no problem shooting. She was great with the S&W38, but it was her first time shooting and she was having a hard time with the slide on the G27. ( I think she could do it with practice)

Links