Checking guns at the airport...

This is a discussion on Checking guns at the airport... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I always put a heavy plastic cable tie through the barrel and let the slide close with it sticking out the ejection port. TSA can ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Checking guns at the airport...

I always put a heavy plastic cable tie through the barrel and let the slide close with it sticking out the ejection port. TSA can see it's not loaded without racking the slide. Always, always, always check the baggage tag the ticket agent puts on your gun case (or the bag it's inside) to be sure it's the right one. One of those "nervous" agents sent my best shotgun and Glock to Canada, I went to Baltimore. Had H*** getting them back. Still believe the mixup was intentional.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    there's a chance I may be diverted to New York due to weather.
    No need to fear New Your City area airports, which includes Newark.

One of the items I carry with me to visit the ticket agent.

Letter - US Attorney General to Congressman Don Young regarding traveling through New York airports - http://www.nysrpa.org/FOPA-DOJltrTSA.pdf
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86thecat View Post
    I always put a heavy plastic cable tie through the barrel and let the slide close with it sticking out the ejection port. TSA can see it's not loaded without racking the slide.
    Just a matter of preference, but I prefer these and have one for each of my guns, even my LCP. Visualock 9mm
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Print out their company's policy off of their website and bring it with you in case they give you trouble.

I work for a certain largest airline in the world not gonna be named, lol. As long as you follow the rules as per the airline and tsa, should be no worries. Might be cheaper to buy ammo where your going then to get hit with fee from airline though. Assuming you can still find it...

Quote Originally Posted by Delcorbett View Post
    I work for a certain largest airline in the world not gonna be named, lol. As long as you follow the rules as per the airline and tsa, should be no worries. Might be cheaper to buy ammo where your going then to get hit with fee from airline though. Assuming you can still find it...
    Real problem is ticket agents, and TSA do not know their own rules. I always print off the rules for the air line I'm flying with webpage, and TSA. Still have had problems.

go back and read my earlier post.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

What this thread shows is there is no firm policy. It's best to print the airline policy and have it with you. The bottom line is you have NO recourse at the time. TSA may and often do, make up what they believe to be policy. You want to fly? Comply.

Senior Moderator
    I work for a certain largest airline in the world not gonna be named, lol. As long as you follow the rules as per the airline and tsa, should be no worries. Might be cheaper to buy ammo where your going then to get hit with fee from airline though
    Are you saying that your airline charges extra for having a gun or ammo?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Flying in and out of Florida or Michigan via Delta...never a problem.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why would you not bring your pistol if you might be in a place where they are "banned?"

What about the commerce clause? It puts a crazy burden on you if you are traveling if you have to avoid cities.

I am attending Brownies class here in florida. I locked up unloaded Glock 26 with the 2 factory 10 shot mags. I ran the lock thru the mag well and out the ejector port. Placed everything in my COM and ran the COm cable thru the metal bags that hold the handle of my suitcase. I got to Jet Blue @ JFK with AG lettter in pocket. Told the baggage agent that I had an unloaded Firearm that I need to be checked. He gave me a 2 small tags that I filled out. flight number.bag claim #. and I signed them . Place one on the COM cable inside the bag. He called for PA police and TSA. With in 10-15 minutes a young PA officer showed up asked to see my ID and Permit. I showed DL and Nassau County Permit. Copied the info into small pocket memo book. Real nice guy!! Gave me back my stuff walked over to the bag slide the COM out enough to see it and opened it for a peek. He saw the cable lock and told me to close it up. We waited another 20 minutes for TSA agent to walk over and walk me to baggage drop and off I went. I was alny scaried when they place the second tag on the outside of the suitcase until it reaches TSA screeners and they removed the outside tag. My bag looked no diffrent than all the others. Easy Breezy Lemon Squeesy.

Senior Moderator
    He called for PA police and TSA
    Did he not think that he could check it himself or is that standard policy in NY?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsor
    I'm heading out tomorrow for the central Fla class HITCH KING is attending myself with two glocks.

They are cable locked through the ejection port down through the grip, the hard case is locked with two tsa approved brinks locks and that case is placed inside a suitcase with other goodies that will be checked tomorrow morning at Phoenix.

See you on Sat morning HITCH KING. The weather is supposed to 80's and perfect for the weekend.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Then there's poor old me, I followed the letter of the law regarding transport of firearms by air.

My firearm was stolen from my luggage and my police force blame me for negligence and as a result here I am 9 months later with no firearm, no license, and prohibited from owning another..

thank you delta Airline's.....
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

JRI
    My understanding is that the firearm should be in a locked case that only you can open. This case is then placed inside your checked luggage.

Are you required to have TSA locks (the ones they can open w/a pass key) on the checked luggage or should that also be locked and only opened by you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links