Revolver for my mother

Revolver for my mother

This is a discussion on Revolver for my mother within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a few weeks I intend to go visit my mother. She's 73 and has been living alone in rural Southeast Texas near one of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Revolver for my mother

In a few weeks I intend to go visit my mother. She's 73 and has been living alone in rural Southeast Texas near one of the major lakes since my father died over three years ago. There are a number of vacant weekend and vacation homes where she lives and they've had some trouble with break-ins. In fact, my parent's house was burglarized the week they were moving in.

She has a home alarm system, but the nearest neighbors are at least a 1/2 mile away and she feels vulnerable. I took her shooting for the first time about 10 months ago and discovered she is a very good shot. She was pleased with her own performance and started talking to me about buying a gun for protection. I've talked to her at length about needing to be able to pull the trigger if she ever has to draw the weapon and I think she would be more likely to do if she needed to than I expected. :)

I've said all that to ask this:

Can someone recommend a few good models of revolvers that might be good for an older woman? She is very much a beginner and I don't think a semi-auto is the way to go for her. She needs something with a serious round, but that is managable in terms of weight and kick. I wanted her to enjoy shooting it so she will be motivated to practice between my visits.

38 spl +P in a 4" K frame might be a good choice for her. You should be able to find a good used one at a reasonable price.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If she's a good shot I'd suggest a .37Spl J-frame. Smaller and lighter and easy to conceal if she decides now or later that she would like that option as well.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    With the info given, and not knowing anything about your mothers build, hand strenght, ect. I'd suggest a Ruger 3" SP-101 in .357 mag. Granted the .357 may be overkill for her and not needed, but she can always shoot .38 special through it. But if she can handle the added power of a .357 she has it available to her. Judging from their website price should be the same.

Another option would be the same gun in .327 mag. Also capable of shooting .32 H&R Mag and .32 S&W long through it. The drawback is going to be ammo cost and availability for it. Price point looks to be the same for either model.

VIP Member
    I'd suggest a little larger gun, to reduce the felt recoil. A Ruger 6" GP100 in .357Mag, she'd beable to shoot .38 special, or the .357Mag rounds, and as I said before, the larger gun will help reduce recoil.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'd start with a 4" Model 10.

The Rugers are another good option. First things first though I'd have her read, "In The Gravest Extreme", by Massad Ayoob. Then have her take a Handgun Safety Course and a Concealed Weapons Class.

It's not so important to know how to shoot, but when to shoot.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; March 11th, 2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Here's another vote for the Ruger SP101 (3") or a S&W M-10 (4"). No S&W j-frames. IMHO, they require much more trigger-time to shoot well than most folks believe.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The biggest Rottweiler or Burmese Mountain Dog on the planet. After that, there are plenty small sized revos in .38 special ... Taurus, Rossi, S&W ...

It sounds to me like you are going to load it for her, hand it to her, and that's the last that it will be loaded or unloaded. It will stay in that condition until she can't take care of herself and such items are reclaimed. If she never has to load/unload/clean then maybe a semi-auto won't be as bad as you expect ... just make sure there are no external safeties. There are some 'full size' .380's that will do. Not much kick and quicker followup shots.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    The biggest Rottweiler or Burmese Mountain Dog on the planet. After that, there are plenty small sized revos in .38 special ... Taurus, Rossi, S&W ...

It sounds to me like you are going to load it for her, hand it to her, and that's the last that it will be loaded or unloaded. It will stay in that condition until she can't take care of herself and such items are reclaimed. If she never has to load/unload/clean then maybe a semi-auto won't be as bad as you expect ... just make sure there are no external safeties. There are some 'full size' .380's that will do. Not much kick and quicker followup shots.
    Any dog but better a large breed and a SP101 will take care of business.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Tuarus M-65 or 66

Any S&W K frame in .357 witha 3 to 4 inch barrel

Ruger GP-100 or old Security 6

Load any of the above with .38's
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    With the info given, and not knowing anything about your mothers build, hand strenght, ect.
    Thin build, about 5'08". She's in good shape for her age and moderate hand strength.

Certainly she's going to have to try out a few models to see what fits her hand and what works well on the range.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    First things first though I'd have her read, "In The Gravest Extreme", by Massad Ayoob.
    I already have the Ayoob book for her.

Then have her take a Handgun Safety Course and a Concealed Weapons Class.
    She wants to take the classes, so it's just a matter of finding one near her home.

Thanks!

I had to

Perhaps ask this lady for advice:

YouTube - machine gun grandma

Seriously, any quality revolver should work. I'd avoid the lightweights and airweights and such. Be ready to pay up for a trigger job to make it smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    It sounds to me like you are going to load it for her, hand it to her, and that's the last that it will be loaded or unloaded. It will stay in that condition until she can't take care of herself and such items are reclaimed.
    No, no, no, she's probably going to go shooting at least once a month. The reason I want her to get a revolver is that she's not that good about putting things together once she gets them apart. I'm afraid the first time she cleans the semi-auto she won't be able to get it back together again, and I live more than 250 miles away.

Academy Sports has this Rossi 38+p rated revolver
    for $259

ROSSI R35102 .38 SPECIAL + P REVOLVER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links