A Look at Forum Members' .357 Magnums

This is a discussion on A Look at Forum Members' .357 Magnums within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The round is undeniably popular with a broad spectrum of handgun shooters and has been for many years. The .357 Magnum cartridge can be made ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Look at Forum Members' .357 Magnums

A Look at Forum Members' .357 Magnums

The round is undeniably popular with a broad spectrum of handgun shooters and has been for many years. The .357 Magnum cartridge can be made to accomplish most any task ask of a handgun.

I tend to enjoy the round in larger revolvers. In my view the 6-inch barrel is a great all around length for balance and portability. I view the .357 Magnum more as a field cartridge or else a suitable "house" gun for the home owner's defense. I like to use it in its full power configuration and through hand loading can achieve some potent results.

Many do like the smaller specialized concealed carry revolvers chambered for the .357 Magnum. The J-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers abound these days. Personally a 2 1/2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 19 is about as small as I'd be interested in owning and using. I'd love to acquire a Model 19 both in 2 1/2-inch and 4-inch variations.

The Ruger SP 101 is a viable alternative to the now discontinued K-Frame S&W Model 19. My brother-in-law has one and I do like to shoot it. I think the factory provided grips are exceptionally well designed and it soaks up heavy .357 Magnum loads rather well.

Though I'm not personally very fond of the single action revolver the .357 Magnum is chambered in some classic models. I have to admit that some of the early Ruger Blackhawks are attractive and of course there's the Colt Single Action which has been made in .357 Magnum.

I used to shoot Hunter Pistol silhouette matches and the Thompson Center Contender was a force to be reckoned with on the firing line and many (perhaps most back then) were wearing their .357 Magnum barrels.

Then there's the .357 Magnum rifles which seem like such a good idea to me.

Let's see some .357 Magnum revolvers owned by Forum members and share our views on the round.

Here's the two .357 Magnum revolvers I have, a Smith & Wesson Model 27 and a Colt Python, both with six-inch barrel.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

and in it's carry holster.

This is my wife's carry piece. A Taurus 605 She can outshoot me with it any day of the week with it too.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

B52

Here is my little beast...

My .357 toys.

1943 - 2009
    Model 27-2, made in 1975.
    Attached Images

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The Ruger SP-101 on top is my .357 BUG. The other SP-101 is the wife's primary in .38 spl. Both are DAO

The bottom gun is my Ruger Speed Six 3" .357 mag. I got it for $195 IIRC. It was from the US Postal Inspectors from when they switched to the Beretta 92. We got a significant price break on them because my co-workers and I bought seven of them out of Shotgun News. I made an assumption that because they came from the Postal Inspectors, they would have some holster wear, but good barrels and actions. I was right. We all got excellent guns. It is one of my best shooters. They came with the Hogue grips.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Here ya go, a S&W model 60 and 686.
    Attached Images

A few of my .357s...

I also like the .357 magnum and have a number of revolvers in that caliber. Mine are both short and long barrel, and I prefer the long for the range and the short for carry. The ability to practice with .38 special is one of the big advantages I see with .357 magnum. I probably shoot 6 times as many .38s as .357s in my guns.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My dad's snubbie and my 4" security sixes
    Attached Images

Lead Moderator
    I have always admired the 686 and Colt Python pistols. Heck ,really I like em all! Some great looking guns everyone has posted
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Since were talking 357 is a Colt Trooper in 95% + with box papers etc a good deal at 525.00 ???
    Thanks for any Info
    Edit: it's a 6"
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

fwm

Quite a handful when fired, but manageable, and its bite is considerably worse than its bark.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyeyes View Post
    Since were talking 357 is a Colt Trooper in 95% + with box papers etc a good deal at 525.00 ???
    Thanks for any Info
    Edit: it's a 6"

MKIII, MKIV ? Really need more info.

Sarge: i dont know I just saw it in the case and only handled it quickly and did a basic check for function, I'm going back tomorrow and look closely, I trade ther all the time and put down a small refundable deposit to hold it 24 hours
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I've been thinking about adding a revolver to my semi-auto collection. You all have just given me some good ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links