What am I doing?

What am I doing?

This is a discussion on What am I doing? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the range yesterday, and I am getting some shots sneeking out left and low left. What is causing this, and how can ...

VIP Member

Question What am I doing?

I went to the range yesterday, and I am getting some shots sneeking out left and low left. What is causing this, and how can I fix it? Here is my target, I'm accurate with my .45, but I didn't get as good of groups with the .40s I shot. I realize I haven't shot those particular guns before, but I usually am more accurate even with "new" guns. Please help!

It wouldn't let me add the pic because it is already on another thread, so here is a link to it.

DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

The top left dot was using a rental FN .40, I don't remember the specific model, ( I didn't like the FN), the center was shot with my Sig Mosquito .22, my Sig P220 .45, and a rental Sig P229 .40 which I loved, but got those hangars out left and low left.

qks add pic
    Last edited by sigmanluke; March 13th, 2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Wouldn't let me add the pic
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Your pictures aren't showing up, but this is what I use to diagnose any shooting issues I'm having.
    Rifle & Pistol Targets
    Scroll a little more than halfway down the page and look for the targets marked TargetLeftHanded and TargetRightHanded.
    Print out the one you need and shoot a few at the range, to give you an idea of what needs corrected.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Moderator
    It could be that you are tighten your hand more with the .40's because the recoil has more snap than the .45
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If you are a right hand shooter then you might be gripping the gun to hard with your right hand. The grip is in the left hand.

When I start doing the same thing it is almost always because I have started putting too much finger on the trigger. I conciously get back to using just the pad of the finger and they move back up. Dry firing some more will usually bring back the muscle memory for me.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It looks to me like you are occasionally "pushing." Like Sigpack said, think about just using the pad of the index finger and pulling straight back smoothly.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Use this target it the aboved linked site......

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

VIP Member
    Thanks, for the advice, and I already printed the target, hopefully I can get back to the range this weekend and work on it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I would suspect that on those shots you were not focusing enough on the front sight.

Austin

Usually low and left is .... your grip, and you are jerking the trigger.

Links