Bad Instant Background Check

This is a discussion on Bad Instant Background Check within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to pick up my DW Pointman 9 today and after a 2 hour wait I had to leave empty handed and come back tomorrow. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Instant Background Check

Distinguished Member

Bad Instant Background Check

Went to pick up my DW Pointman 9 today and after a 2 hour wait I had to leave empty handed and come back tomorrow.

This is the 6th pistol that I have bought in the past 2 years and the other 5 times I only had a 15 min. wait at the most. The guy doing the paper work said he sneezed while he was sending the information to the State Police and he spelled my name wrong.

I feel for you that have to wait days.

2. Remove Ads

Some people in Virginia go through instantly, I've always had to wait (though nobody could ever explain why). Usually it's only 15 or 20 minutes but the last time (right before Christmas) I had to wait two hours.

VIP Member
    I have a very long and unusual last name. It is a curse when no one can pronounce it, but it is a blessing when buying a gun. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I got two common names 3 days if their swamped lucky last 2 handguns out the door no problems

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    That really bites that you have to wait. Unfortunately the NICS system isn't always running in tip top condition, and given we depend on computers and other electronics to run our daily lives its no surprise there will be some set backs, and the NICS system has been flooded with background checks lately, so the people taking the calls are working harder. I personally have never had a delay when I purchased firearms from FFL dealers, but it sucks having to wait when I decide to put a gun on layaway, so in a way I know what it is like to wait.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Glad I don't have to go through the NICS check any more. Once you get your CHL in Texas, the don't do the check. Just fill out the 4473, sign it and your on your way.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    That's why I like Texas. If you have a CHL there's no background check. It sucks that you have to wait, kinda takes the fun out getting a new gun.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I've been delayed only twice in dozens and dozens of purchases (called back in 20 minutes both times). I did just today call up the NICS and request an application for a UPIN number.
    This is supposed to speed things through on the NICS check.

Never waited more than ten minutes, lucky maybe.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    That's why I like Texas. If you have a CHL there's no background check. It sucks that you have to wait, kinda takes the fun out getting a new gun.
    Kentucky passed the same law only they said you had to have a permit dated after the law was passed. ***? So I had just gotten mine renewed and now I have to wait until 2011 to get another renewal for this to kick in. Politicians.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    Kentucky passed the same law only they said you had to have a permit dated after the law was passed. ***? So I had just gotten mine renewed and now I have to wait until 2011 to get another renewal for this to kick in. Politicians.
    How much does it cost to renew? If the new system is worth more to you than the renewal cost renew now.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    don't show up on a pay day (thursday/friday). Paydays seem to take longer to get the background check and my theory is it's because there are more people picking up guns. Other days they go thru faster.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Providing your social security number may speed things up.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

An "instant" can be a long time. A couple of weeks ago in the evening, the Virginia State instant background check system was down. The phone system was unavailable and the website was also down. I need to speak with my dealer again to see when it came back online.

No system is 100 percent but it sure would be nice if people acknowledged this and had a backup protocol that meets the same objectives.

Administrator
    He sneezed at the wrong time and because of that you now have to wait?
    Sue him.
    You could probably win big money in court with a good lawyer on your side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links