Kitsap County, WA: Gun range in trouble

This is a discussion on Kitsap County, WA: Gun range in trouble within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club is a gun range located near Silverdale, Washington and is among the larger, better run gun ranges in the ...

Thread: Kitsap County, WA: Gun range in trouble

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar

Kitsap County, WA: Gun range in trouble

The Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club is a gun range located near Silverdale, Washington and is among the larger, better run gun ranges in the county. The property it sits on is currently leased from the Washington Dept of Natural Resources (DNR). The DNR is looking to hand this property over to Kitsap County Parks as part of a land trade agreement. Kitsap County is giving little more than a verbal "nod" to honoring the range's current lease agreement and KRRC is trying to get it in writing. This is wise considering the government's track record of "honoring" its word.

Other recreational groups are already attempting to squeeze out the range and commandeer the property (about 72 acres) for their own hobbies. If you live in the area and/or use the range as a visitor or member, please show up to the public hearing on this.

Here is a pdf copy of the notice and map of transfer lands.

Dear Members and Supporters of KRRC,
    We just recently received news that a proposed transfer of ownership of the land our ranges sit on from the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to the Kitsap County Parks and Recreation is moving VERY fast!

Club representatives met recently with KC Parks Director Chip Faver, who would become our new landlord, and members of DNR to get informed on the process. There are many practical reasons for the land transfer, however, your Executive Committee has some very serious concerns based on a lot of information we have received, including having folks very much apart of the Parks planning process telling others that the range is being shut down!!!

We have proposed to purchase the land we set on, once County becomes the landowner, or at a minimum, provide use with a 15 year lease contract so that we can apply for the next grant cycle to drill a well, put in septic and a first class restrooms. We were told that a contract was not possible until after the transfer was complete. We were told that Parks will honor the current lease, which has approximately 9 years left on it. It seems that perhaps a letter of intent is the best we can hope for (which has 0.0 legal standing).

Due to being left out of the discussions, we have been behind the curve on this. Several Club members have been working tirelessly to get us up to speed. We are hoping to make a formal proposal, generally in the form presented below, to Commissioner Brown prior to the Wednesday hearing.

We want a contract! Words don't cut it. We have recently been told about a specific case where KC Parks took over other property and promised to honor the terms of a lease, and yet cancelled the lease with 5.5 years left on it.

Call EVERYONE you know, co-workers, family members, friends and etc. We need everyone we can get to show up in support of the KRRC ranges. The media will be there. One mountain bike group that wants our property, will be there in force. WE NEED 1000+ people showing up! Let's show up with enough numbers that they must get a larger venue to finish the meeting!

Next Wednesday, March 18th starting at 6pm. (be early if possible!)
    Board of County Commissioners Chambers
    County Administration Building
    614 Division Street
    Port Orchard, WA 98366

You can go to the KRRC home page and open a copy of the notice with a map of the land exchange area. We are on "S-2"

Be there! Bring your friends! Dress and act as the classy individuals you all are! Be polite!
    Please take the time to shoot back an email with the number of folks that you believe you can muster to the hearing. We are printing up signs in support of succuring our ranges.
    WE NEED YOU NOW!!!
    --
    Marcus Carter - Executive Officer
    Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've shot at matches at this range and it's a nice club. This is where the Glock Sport Shooting Federation holds their Washington matches. It would be a real shame to lose this facility.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Contact any friends you might have in the area, even if you aren't able to attend.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    I unfortunately know no one in that area, but I have forwarded this thread to the GSSF Match Coordinator.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would also be concerned with all these government entities, and "other organizations" scrambling for the land, that the range club might be sued for a major environmental clean-up. What little I know about Washington State leads me to believe that the "green movement" carries a lot of weight there.

Good luck keeping the range intact. I'm sure the club management has sought good professional legal council.

surv

Links