XDm 40 jamming

This is a discussion on XDm 40 jamming within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello i got my ga. concealed carry permit, and was looking at an xd 40 sub compact. As they were on back order i ended ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XDm 40 jamming

Question XDm 40 jamming

Hello i got my ga. concealed carry permit, and was looking at an xd 40 sub compact. As they were on back order i ended up with an XDm 40 and love it. the problem im having is during the first 200 rnds it jammed twice (pictures to follow) I cleaned the gun good and oiled it up well today at the range i shot about 200 more rnds. No problems at first but then it started jamming again.. the more i shot the worse it got. It happened about 15 times and twice it wouldnt eject the spent rnd and chamber a new rnd.. i was shooting magtech 180 gr. fmc according to the box....

for my carry ammo i was using federal hi-shok, but bought a box of the new winchester pdx1 165 gr hollow points... thanks for in help in advance

2. Remove Ads

Disassemble and clean, then lube your gun per the manual. Make certain your magazine follower moves freely. Buy a different brand of ammunition and try it after clean and lube of the gun. report back.

ill try.. it sucks because i bought a 1000 rnds and id like to use it all, but dont wanna ruin my gun if the ammo is bad
    XDm .40

BAC
    A few questions:

Is that spent brass shown in the picture?

Does this happen at the end of a magazine (after the last round is fired)?

Does this happen with different magazines?

Does this happen with different ammo?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

welcome

welcome from s.e. michigan and congrads on your permit i was also thinking about your mag, first
    or last rd. diffrent mags??? diffirent brands of ammo???
    i know for a fact,you'll get some good answers here though.
    good luck and again,welcome to D.C.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    A few questions:

Is that spent brass shown in the picture?

Does this happen at the end of a magazine (after the last round is fired)?

Does this happen with different magazines?

Does this happen with different ammo?

-B
    In the pictures above its a new rnd. also it happens on the first rnd in the mag. It happens with both mags that came with the kit. When i thumb the slide lock down to lock the slide forward this is what started to happen... the not ejecting the spent rnd and jamming the next rnd.. (not sure what thats called.. is that the "stovepipe" i hear of) happens in the middle or so of the mag... and it never happened with the white box winchester my brother gave me... but at that time it didnt happen with the magtech.... It started about 150 or so rnds into my session

VIP Member
    Follow the suggestions of the others here. It isn't uncommon for guns to have problems during their break in, the amount of problems will vary with different makes and models. From your pictures it appears what you have is a FTF (fails to feed). Check the feed ramp and make sure it is smooth and no burrs/blemishes on it.

As far as the 1000 rounds of ammo, send it to me, I'll shoot it up for you! Just kidding. Even if it doesn't operate flawlessly in your gun, it isn't going to hurt it.

Well, 1st your not supposed to use the slide lock to send the slide forward to load the weapon. you "rack" the slide to load the weapon properly. that may be the problem with the first round. If you ar ehaving problems with follow on shots I would take a close look at how you are gripping the gun, it sounds like limp wristing to me. this can happen fairly easily if you have large hands that wrap to far around the grips.

My XDm has gobbled up every kind of ammo that i have fed it, including factory reloads and cheap blazer stuff. going on 3,000 rounds and only one real jam ( I limp wristed it)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    My suggestions:

1. Rack the slide rather than use the slide release. This could be a breaking in issue on the feed ramp and that little bit of extra oomph could stop the jamming on the first round. After a while, it might smooth out enough that it you can go back to using the slide release.

2. When someone mentions stove piping on the spent round, it usually means that the user is limp wristing. No fault of the weapon, it is a user error. In your case, this could be part of the issue.

3. The ammo. I don't recall magtech as neccessarily being premium ammo. Its possible that it is loaded at a lower pressures/velocities and so doesn't quite produce the pressures needed to cycle your weapon reliably. If you couple that with a slight limp wristing on your part, then you are going to experience FTE's or stovepipes regularly. The WWB, while being a plinking ammo, I have found to actually be one of the better quality plinking ammos out there.

What does this all mean? Clean and oil your weapon as per the owner's manual. Don't get any crazier with that oil then you need to. Poly guns in general like to run drier.

Next, run a couple hundred rounds of ammo that you know worked reliably in the weapon. This will help it to break in some more and it will probably stop being picky about what you feed it. Then go back to plinking with the magtech and see if you have problems. If you do have a few malfunctions, no worries, use the opertunities to get better with your malfunction drills.

Out of curiosity, did everything you described before take place in one range session? How many rounds total did you fire that day? Were you shooting other weapons before hand?
    The reason I ask, is I wonder if some of the issues were caused because you were getting fatigued. That would explain the limp wristing if that is something you don't normally do.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Well, 1st your not supposed to use the slide lock to send the slide forward to load the weapon. you "rack" the slide to load the weapon properly. that may be the problem with the first round.
    I have to disagree with you here. Either method is acceptable, and will work well with a properly functioning XD. The slide release method instantly releases sprung tension, making it far more reliable and in the case of some shooters with poor technique, more powerful. Kahr arms, for example, has such tight springs that most shooters, including those with excellent technique, must use the slide release, not the sling-shot or other slide racking techniques.

If you are having problems with follow on shots I would take a close look at how you are gripping the gun, it sounds like limp wristing to me. this can happen fairly easily if you have large hands that wrap to far around the grips.
    Here we are in agreement. Mid-magazine, get's worse as you shoot (fatigue)... more likely the shooter than the weapon.

My XDm has gobbled up every kind of ammo that i have fed it, including factory reloads and cheap blazer stuff. going on 3,000 rounds and only one real jam ( I limp wristed it)
    If I were a betting man, I would bet that another brand of ammunition would be more forgiving and continued practice will make up for the rest.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Springfield recommends using the slide stop release for loading, not the slingshot technique.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/download...FETYMANUAL.pdf

1. Place the EMPTY magazine in the magazine well,
    located in bottom of firearm grip. Push firmly enough
    on bottom of magazine to make sure it is properly
    seated. A distinctive “click” will confirm the magazine
    has been properly inserted. Pull the slide completely
    to the rear until it locks back.

2. Depress magazine release and remove magazine.
    3. Ensure that you are using the proper caliber
    ammunition for your firearm. Place rim of first
    cartridge on front of follower (See Figure 16) then
    push the cartridge down on the follower and slide the
    cartridge under the lips of the magazine completely
    to the rear. Load successive rounds by pushing
    cartridge down on previously loaded cartridge Use
    only clean, dry, original, high-quality, commercially
    manufactured ammunition. Using reloaded
    ammunition may void warranty.
    4. Point firearm in a safe direction and kep
    fin ger off tri gger . Re-insert magazine into
    magazine well, located in bottom of firearm grip. Push
    firmly enough on bottom of magazine to make sure it
    is properly seated.
    LOADING/PREPARING TO FIRE
    Never touch the trigger when
    WARNING loading or unloading the firearm.
    Caution: Do not slam or forcefully jam magazine
    into magazine well.
    5. Depress the slide stop lever to allow slide to move
    forward and load a shell from the magazine into the
    chamber.

6. The loaded chamber indicator will be in the up
    position (See Figure 12-2.)
    7. The striker status indicator will be protruding out
    of the rear of the slide (See Page 13) in the “cocked”
    position.
    Caution: The firearm is now ready to fire.

Im not sure what limp wristing is, but it sounds like im not holding my hands right??????? also i have very small hands, and as far as the oil, maybe i oiled to much because i soaked it...well not oil i used smith and wesson foam cleaner lubrucant and protectant, from what i read i dont need to put anything else on after i wipe it down do i...

also this is about 200 rnds in one session, and 12 rnds of 44 mag from my friends new revolver he got

Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    Im not sure what limp wristing is, but it sounds like im not holding my hands right??????? also i have very small hands, and as far as the oil, maybe i oiled to much because i soaked it...well not oil i used smith and wesson foam cleaner lubrucant and protectant, from what i read i dont need to put anything else on after i wipe it down do i...

also this is about 200 rnds in one session, and 12 rnds of 44 mag from my friends new revolver he got
    As far as the proper lubrication goes, that is likely a side-issue that you can address later.

In regards to limp-wristing, it just means you are not resisting the recoil of the firearm enough. When this happens, the slides inertia is too weak to properly compress the recoil spring, and when the slide resumes forward travel it does not have the spring tension necessary to feed and close on the round.

In short, you're getting tired as you shoot and it's showing. Practice will help, so will hand grip exercises and being aware of the issue. A lot of new shooters run into this issue.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Matiki, I failed to clarify. Properly done, "racking" the slide will provide more energy to chamber the rounds and will reduce wear on the slide lock. in my experience in the proffesional shooting world it is discouraged to use the slide lock as a tool to chamber a round. It is also a fine motor skill that may or may not leave you in the high adreneline activity of a gun fight. Does using the slide lock work well most of the time at the range? yes. Are there better ways? yes.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

So your saying when the slide is locked back and i insert a mag that i shouldnt thumb the slide forward and should pull back releasing the lock and slide it forward??????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links