The only weapon designed to kill people...A Sword??

This is a discussion on The only weapon designed to kill people...A Sword?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After hearing and reading so much BS from the media, uneducated, and the antis about how guns are specifically made to kill people, it got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The only weapon designed to kill people...A Sword??

The only weapon designed to kill people...A Sword??

After hearing and reading so much BS from the media, uneducated, and the antis about how guns are specifically made to kill people, it got me thinking.

We know it is not true. Hunting for food, and fabrication are by far the most common uses for every item used to kill people. I am not sure what the Chinese initially designed the gun for, but Humankind has always found multiple uses for a tool.

A rock, hunting for food, breaking wood/bone (after hunting), multiple other uses until it evolved into an ax.

A wooden club, basically a longer version of a rock used for hunting for food until it had a chipped rock attached to it.

An ax, chopping wood, occasionally hunting for food, but not real effective.

A spear, hunting for food.

Archery, hunting for food.

A knife, cutting food, and most everything of a softer material that the knife itself, occasionally hunting for food but again, not real effective.

Explosives, I'm pretty sure that it has been used in fabrication pound for pound than killing and destroying.

A sword....Pretty much just one use, killing people. It can be used for other activities in a pinch and extremely ineffective, but there are other better options out there.

Firearms, hunting for food, target shooting.

Am I missing something in my logic?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I agree with you completely, but they....( The Antis ) see thing the way they "want" to. To them, every one of those tools was FIRST and foremost used as a weapon to kill someone else.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Intent

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Guns are specifically made to kill people.
    It is the intent of the user that determines how something is used, not the intent of the designer or manufacturer.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Knives, swords, guns, etc...were all designed for self-defense.

The electric chair and the gas chamber were designed to kill.

Stay armed...use tools for self-defense...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Knives, swords, guns, etc...were all designed for self-defense...
    I'll wager the knife was designed to skin animals and cut food, not defense. It is used as a defensive tool, but not designed for it, let alone offensive uses.

I can think of no other practical use for a sword than killing people, offensive or defensive.

Guns, been there done that. We all know.

Maybe I should have specified them as "weapons", although I prefer to think of the items in my OP as tools.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

You say, "kill people" like that's a bad thing.

Context is everything.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'm going to guess that the original intent of firearms was for people killing, and they were later adapted for hunting and sport. I don't believe I've ever seen a report of gun hunting in the early days of European firearms.

Swords do have uses beyond people killing. They can often be employed in place of a machete. Several sports involve sword work. In my Aidido training, we practiced with swords because many of our unarmed techniques are derived from sword work. Swords are also used for religious and other ceremonies.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I'll wager the knife was designed to skin animals and cut food, not defense. It is used as a defensive tool, but not designed for it, let alone offensive uses.

I can think of no other practical use for a sword than killing people, offensive or defensive.

Guns, been there done that. We all know.

Maybe I should have specified them as "weapons", although I prefer to think of the items in my OP as tools.
    Shishkebabs?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Let's not get wishy-washy about it.

Ultimately, a weapon (which is what a gun is), has limited purposes: To kill or disable through injury. That limited range of application can be applied to all the weapons you've referenced.

That the sword has been primarily applied to use against other human beings does not make it unique. The gun has been primarily applied against other human beings. There have been two world wars and countless other smaller conflicts in which the gun has been the primary weapon employed.

I'm not disagreeing with you because I take issue with your sentiment. I understand that you are trying to point out that the gun has many other uses. The problem is that so do other weapons. A sword can be used defensively, it can double as a machete, or substitute for an axe in a pinch. It can be used to take down livestock for consumption, or protect your family from a wild animal.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

My guns are designed for killing, and that is what I use them for. They can kill paper targets, animals or people.

Our constitutional right (which has been infringed) implies that the arms we have the right to keep and bear are the same arms that we would want to keep and bear so that we could serve in a militia. A militia's purpose is killing people. We have a constitutional right to keep and bear military type arms the purpose of which is to kill people.

Only my opinion and my interpretation of course. The SCOTUS does not agree with me. California's gun laws are clearly unconstitutional based on the Heller decision - for example.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Whatever the reasons, guns were made for the intended purpose of killing to start off with in my view pure and simple of course other functions came about from them. That doesn't mean I agree with the Anti's, far from it, I stand against them all the way.

The Sword as stated of course is the only tool that serves one purpose solely and that is to kill period.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

The last few posters pretty much covered what I would have said...

Yes, they are designed for killing but as Travis ABQ said, "Context is everything." The emphasis on "self-defense" and "shooting to stop" are a result of our overly litigious society where the criminals seem to have more rights than their victims...where law-abiding citizens who win the fight against the person seeking to do them harm then have to win another fight against a system that seeks to punish them for having the audacity to survive. It sucks but that's the way it is.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    All I can say is heaven help me if any of these idiots ever saw the wall in my office - I collect edged weapons.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    In reality the first firearms were designed and built to be used in siege warfare. They were used as improved catapults to knock down walls and other fortifications. They had been in use for quite a while before they were improved to the point that they could be used to intentionally inflict injury one humans. Prior to that time any injury that was caused by a firearm was incidental. Even in the mid-nineteenth century it was more often the volume of fire that caused injuries to humans than aimed fire. It was the invention of practical repeating firearms that made aimed fire intended to injure or kill individuals a viable tactic.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Handguns were in use across Europe by the 14th century, about two centuries behind China. Other than the Chinese use of rockets (which was the original utilization of what we now know as gunpowder), I don't see how guns could be considered as originating as pieces of artillery. Certainly, that is their final evolution, and a step that would forever change warfare, but it is not their origin at all.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links