Problem Glock, slide open w/rounds in mag

This is a discussion on Problem Glock, slide open w/rounds in mag within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Purchased a G33 on 3/10. After 200 rounds, I have a problem I can't diagnose. 3/14/09: 50 rounds of .357 Sig 125 GR. TMJ CF ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Problem Glock, slide open w/rounds in mag

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,352

    Problem Glock, slide open w/rounds in mag

    Purchased a G33 on 3/10. After 200 rounds, I have a problem I can't diagnose.

    3/14/09: 50 rounds of .357 Sig 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman.

    * 1st mag (10 rounds). Mag came with the sub-compact Glock. Pierce +1 pinky extender. The slide stayed open before the mag was empty (about 1/2 way through).

    * 2nd mag (15 rounds). Mag from my standard (full-size) G31. Slide stayed open several times (when the mag was not empty).

    * 3rd mag (15 rounds). Mag from my standard (full-size) G31 (not the same mag as the 2nd mag). Slide stayed open several times (when the mag was not empty).

    * Then the 1st mag again (10 rounds). No problems.

    3/15/09: 75 rounds of .357 Sig 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman. 25 Rounds .357 Sig 125 GR. FMJ Winchester.

    * 1st mag (10 rounds / Winchester). Mag came with the sub-compact Glock. Pierce +1 pinky extender. No problems.

    * 2nd mag (15 rounds / Winchester). Mag from my standard (full-size) G31. Slide stayed open several times (when the mag was not empty).

    * Went back to 1st mag (10 rounds / Speer). No problems.

    * At this point I loaded the G31 mag with 5 rounds at a time. Slide stayed open almost every time (when the mag was not empty).

    I tested putting pressure on the mag. My thumb did not hit the slide release while firing. There does not appear to be a problem with the slide release lever spring.

    Any thoughts?


    I'm headed back to the range / shop tomorrow. They are going to fire the weapon a few times to see what is going on.

    Anyone ever have this problem?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array lance22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,031
    Try it with new mags, genuine mags only.

  4. #3
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Did you purchase your G33 new or used? Right off the bat and by your description of the problem....sounds like some sort of issue with the magazine release itself, or the mag release spring. Mags may not be seating fully, and/or coming loose under recoil. There is also a possibility that you are not using the current production magazine followers and.....the slide release can look like everything is okay when it isn't. Just so long as the wire is under the frame cross pin. If you can't see both legs of the spring while looking at the top of the frame from the rear, the slide lock spring is not installed correctly.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,352
    All genuine mags. The G31 mags work flawlessly on my G31. The G31 mags are less than 8 months old. Less than 350 rounds through each mag.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Did you purchase your G33 new or used?...
    The Glock G33 was new (never owned by another). However, it was the last one they had, and was in the counter (so it had been touched by others).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...Right off the bat and by your description of the problem....sounds like some sort of issue with the magazine release itself, or the mag release spring. Mags may not be seating fully, and/or coming loose under recoil. There is also a possibility that you are not using the current production magazine followers and.....the slide release can look like everything is okay when it isn't. Just so long as the wire is under the frame cross pin. If you can't see both legs of the spring while looking at the top of the frame from the rear, the slide lock spring is not installed correctly.
    Same guess I came up with. Everything you mention looks right, however my experience / skill level is limited.

    The only thing that feels differently between my 31 and 33, is on the G33 the slide release moves back and forth (not just up and down) more than the G31. The back and forth is enough that it sort of makes a clicking noise when I move it back and forth.

    I have a feeling my baby Glock is going on a trip for a while.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    The only thing that feels differently between my 31 and 33, is on the G33 the slide release moves back and forth (not just up and down) more than the G31. The back and forth is enough that it sort of makes a clicking noise when I move it back and forth.

    I have a feeling my baby Glock is going on a trip for a while.
    I'd suggest removing the slidestop, and re-installing. Sounds very much like the spring is seated behind the locking block and not below, where it is supposed to be.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    896
    sounds like a bad mag

  8. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,711
    I can see how a mag could be a problem if the slide did not lock open on the last round, but I don't see how a mag could cause a slide lock before the mag was empty.

    I only know of two things that has caused this problem, one, something - thumb, etc., puts upward pressure on the slide lock lever and two, the slide lock spring is not under the upper pin in the frame.

    I had this very thing happen on one of my Glocks. When I checked, it looked like everything was working properly, but the spring force on the slide lock lever was very weak. Further investigation revealed that I had installed the slide lever before the upper frame pin was in place and when I installed the pin, the slide lock lever spring wound up on top of the pin.

    This is a subtle condition to see if you're not looking for it, and it will cause the problem you indicate.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I'd suggest removing the slidestop, and re-installing. Sounds very much like the spring is seated behind the locking block and not below, where it is supposed to be.
    I believe that Rob 72 is correct. Just repaired one with the same issue last night.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,352
    Can't be the mags. I've tried the mags in several Glocks, no problems at all. I've shot a different G33 before (using my G31 mags). Never had a problem. Now with my G33, on 3/14 and 3/15, problems.

    Update:

    3/16/09: 50 rounds of .357 Sig 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman. Not one problem. I don't know if is due to the 2nd cleaning, just breaking in, or maybe it was me.

    Sure enough, I get in front of shop / range manager today (3/16), and not one problem. I tested a few times with full mag and also several times just putting 5 rounds in. Not one problem.

    Thanks for the feedback.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Can't be the mags. I've tried the mags in several Glocks, no problems at all. I've shot a different G33 before (using my G31 mags). Never had a problem. Now with my G33, on 3/14 and 3/15, problems.

    Update:

    3/16/09: 50 rounds of .357 Sig 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman. Not one problem. I don't know if is due to the 2nd cleaning, just breaking in, or maybe it was me.

    Sure enough, I get in front of shop / range manager today (3/16), and not one problem. I tested a few times with full mag and also several times just putting 5 rounds in. Not one problem.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Now dog gonnit, I was just about to make some snide comment about how the great Glocks even can have some problems, and you go and get it worked out without having to send it back or get so frustrated that you vow never to buy another one. You sure know how to mess up a guys afternoon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Now dog gonnit, I was just about to make some snide comment about how the great Glocks even can have some problems, and you go and get it worked out without having to send it back or get so frustrated that you vow never to buy another one. You sure know how to mess up a guys afternoon...
    Ya, I'm a little embarrassed to be honest. At first I was willing to believe it was my thumb. Now I have to admit I might be flinching. I'm use to my G31 standard (full) size frame. The sub-compact G33 does have more kick. So maybe something like limp wristing.

    Took me a long time to buy the G33. Rented the range's a few times, etc. Never had any problems. I made statements like it did not feel it kicked as much as my G31.

    Well, I must have been a little more pumped, because now, having shot 200 rounds out of one it in three days, I can't state it as pleasant to shoot as my G31.

    I really can shoot my G31 all day. But after about 50 out of the G33, it gets a little tough. Same feeling I get when I shoot to much buck shot or I am targeting in a few to many 30.06 rounds. Not as bad, but after today's 50 rounds, as far as the G33 is concerned, I'm willing to believe it needed a little break in, and to a greater degree, so did I.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,352
    3/22/09: 50 rounds of .357 Sig 125 GR. TMJ CF Speer Lawman. Not one problem.

    225 more rounds of target, then 50 or so SD rounds, and I'll trust it for CC.

    Not sure what was going wrong the first few times I fired.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array frankmako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    3,819
    does not sound like a mag problem. it is a slide stop problem. check the slide stop spring. either it is broken and/or it is not seat in the correct place. take it out and reseat the spring.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

    Red State State of Mind

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array GreyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    central florida
    Posts
    918
    Thanis, my best guess is limp wristing or you didn't have a firm enough grip. The sub compacts are great but do require a firm hold.

    Glad to see you've worked it out.

    Glock, the only self repairing firearm!

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,271
    I occasionally had the exact same problem with my G30. I tightened up my grip and the problem went away. I like to think I'm a manly man and I'd rather admit to an ND than limp-wristing... but I can't argue with results.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. m&p 40c slide problem ?
    By etniexd in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 31st, 2010, 11:23 AM
  2. Kahr CW40 slide problem
    By Jaynes601 in forum Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 31st, 2010, 12:02 AM
  3. Glock 27 slide sticking open...
    By skenzer in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: November 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
  4. My HK slide problem or scar??
    By rangerman2003 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 12th, 2007, 06:31 PM
  5. Problem with slide on S&W 6906
    By rangerman2003 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Search tags for this page

glock 33 problems

,
glock slide lock malfunction
,
glock slide locked open
,
glock slide locking open
,
glock slide locks back
,

glock slide locks open

,
glock slide problem
,
glock slide problems
,
glock slide staying open
,

glock slide stays open

,
glock slide stop problem
,
slide stays open
Click on a term to search for related topics.