Subcompact Guide Rods

Subcompact Guide Rods

This is a discussion on Subcompact Guide Rods within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am some what concerned about the guide rods used in the subcompacts like my G30. The back flange that rests on the barrel is ...

Subcompact Guide Rods

I am some what concerned about the guide rods used in the subcompacts like my G30. The back flange that rests on the barrel is very thin. Much thiner than the flange on say my G21. I have heard of the rods chipping, and every thing still works fine. But to my knowledge it was on standards or compact models.

I have done some searching, and the only two metal replacement I have found are from Glockmeister (stainless), and Wolf Spring (steel with a protective coating.)

Any thoughts or experience with this?
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Wouldn't worry about it till it breaks i haven't had any problems with any of mine but a spare stock glock recoil setup and keep it on hand

Ive seen them crack on the fullsize but never the Compacts or Subcompact's

I've used Haart's, and was pleased. Nothing from Wolff could be bad, they'll make it right if you get a fluke.

The rod on my Glock 29 10mm broke real quick.......after about 200 rnds...........i sent it back to Glock and they replaced it..........flimsy peice of plastic...and I was NOT impressed with the part, but it's a Glock, and they shoot well...I'll go to Tungsten soon
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Moderator
    It is interesting that Glocks are touted as one of the most reliable guns out there; that includes the plastic parts. They work; few fail.

It concerns me also that the guide rods are plastic and some seem quite thin. But again, they work! While the plastic guides share the Glock Perfection persona, it would seem a metal guide rod would almost be an improvement.

Some get a tungsen GR to get a double whammy for their trouble and expense - a stronger part and more muzzle weight to reduce recoil a bit. Dave Sevigny uses a tungsten GR in his competition G-35.

Administrator

Additional Info

Forget ANYTHING Haarts...They are totally out of business.
    Don't bother to call the phone number published on the web for Harrts...some poor lady has that same number now & she gets a lot of phone calls from people wanting Haarts Recoil Reducers.

Haarts is completely kaputt AKA Finished & Gone For Good.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Can you even get a tungsen GR for the Subcompacts last i knew you couldn't And that wasn't to long ago i was long to see

Bud

Stainless, and coated steel are the only ones I have found.

The muzzle rise on my G30 is less or about the same as my G21, with a tungsten, for what it is worth.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    I switched to a S.S. guide rod on my Glock23 Just thought it might be a good idea.

Over the years I have seen the plastic rods on the first generation and some second generation Glock 17 and 19 break. The old recoil assemblies are a two-piece set/item (spring and plastic rod). The springs came off the rod and the whole assemblies were hard to put back in place. This was the reason they broke. Most individuals did not get the rods fully in place on the barrel end and they would break with use. Now they come with a captive guide rod system. Much better than the old system. EFK Fire Dragon makes a Frame-Saver Dual Action Recoil Springs for Glocks. I have one in a Glock 19 and 23. They are very good. Muzzle rise is less over the factory spring. The only reason I am using them is that EFK gave me a great deal on a barrel/spring combo. In my Glock 30 I am using the factory two-spring recoil assembly system and have shot well over 5K rounds with no problems. In my Glock 22 I am using the factory captive guide rod system with no problems with over 8K rounds down range. But I did put a small metal rod inside the plastic rod. Got this small metal rod at a gun show for $5.00. Don’t remember the name of the company, but the card that the metal rod was on was a green in color. This small metal rod stops the flex of the plastic rod when the gun is fired. The factory two-spring recoil assembly systems on the sub-compact models (G30/36/26/27/33/29) are good. You do not have to change them they keep on working and why would you throw the money away for an after market spring set when the factory two spring system works just as good or better.

Links