Judge

This is a discussion on Judge within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody got one of these and How do u like it, I am considering one for my bedroom gun....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge

Judge

Anybody got one of these and How do u like it, I am considering one for my bedroom gun.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    If you are considering it because it has the option of shooting .410, I suggest you check this out:

Taurus Judge vs. Box O Truth

While not scientific by any means, it does give you some insight in regards to how the pistol will perform.

But, I do have to admit, they do have a cool factor with them and if I had the spare money and a shorter list of firearms that I want, I would probably be getting one myself.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Got 2 (though that's a different story). I bought mine because I spend time down east in the swamps (I see you're an NC boy). Rattle snakes and wild pigs and the occassional trespassing redneck (no offense) w/pitbulls hunting my pigs. ah me. Anyway, it's a perfect gun for that as well as a bedroom gun. The Judge does nothing really really well, but it does many things pretty good. I never shoot 410 slugs from mine, it does shoot 45 afterall. They tend to like #6 best as far as pattern goes and buckshot feeds well. Warm weather I load 2-3 #6 shot and balance the wheel with 45. Cold weather 2 buckshot and then 45. I view my Judge more as a tool than all my other side arms. I climb and setup tree stands and don't even worry about the finish on the gun....it's a tool. As a result, I haven't put a scratch on either of mine.

Word of caution, unless you get one of the new models, the Judge will only accept 2 1/2" 410. Too many folks jam 3" in the cylinder (and it will accept that). Be thoughtful. And the new, longer Judge IMHO isn't worth it. You can't find a holster to fit it, the old model was about too big anyway, blah blah blah.

I can bore you for a while on these things but obviously I bought my second one. And you can bust clays with them.....but you gotta be quick.

Let me know if I can help.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

If 2 .410 loads don't persuade him, 3 .45lc will ruin his day... or at least give you time to get to your 12 gauge...

a decent "bed gun" IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I bought one and got 5 rounds thru it before I discovered there was a problem with the trigger mechanism and cylinder lockup jamming. Dealer sent it back and I waited over a month without a peep from Taurus. My dealer tried calling and left voice messages while I was standing there. I got tired of waiting for it to be repaired and my dealer traded me for a Ruger Blackhawk instead. Now he's waiting for it to come back while I'm off shooting my Ruger.

I hear that people who have them really like them. I didn't get to shoot mine enough to have an opinion. I know all manufacturers have a bad one slip thru quality control here and there but I wasn't happy about the black hole they call the warranty department. The dealer did a great job of taking care of me.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I've 'eyed' them at the gun shop...not something that seems practical for carry, or HD...perhaps just for snake country.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    IMO it's a gimmick.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Dismal penetration with all .410 loads. The .45 is OK, but why not just buy a quality .44 or .45 if that's what you want.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

hmmmm I had hoped for better reviews. Guess the judge will be bumped down, if not off of my list.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    hmmmm I had hoped for better reviews. Guess the judge will be bumped down, if not off of my list.
    Doesn't look to me like you have too many true 'reviews' from people who have owned one. Just a lot of opinions from people who know of them. You may want to keep looking for people who have owned one and also consider why you were interested in it. Just because it isn't for some people, doesn't mean it isn't for you.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

As a bedroom gun I would expect that you're interested in fire power and coverage. With buck shot in the Judge, you will have that. Lack of penetration with 410 #6 shot is....to be expected. I wouldn't go after a BG w/that combo unless that's all I had. Buckshot mixed w/45's will stop a threat in it's tracks and then get more definitive. This is not a 25 yard range plinker though you can get reasonable results for the minimal rifling in the barrel. But, as Tinkerin says, it may be for you it may not. I've put Hogue's on both of mine. The Hogue grips that fit the Taurus Tracker are the match for the Judge.
    Savage Heartland

thanks for the opinions, I really just wanted one because it looks fun, I have plenty other options for SD and HD. As for the lack of penetration on the birdshot, I can assure you that u dont want to get shot with it at the Magic "21 foot" distance that everybody seems to be so crazy about.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Final note on the Judge.....you're right. It is fun. Busting clays, etc. I was down in Bertie Cty some months back and spotted something hanging out of a wood duck box we have on a post in camp. The bluebirds like it. On second look I realized it's a black snake. And I like my bluebirds. #6 in the backside and out he came. Over 6' of snake. The Judge was fun that day for sure.
    Savage Heartland

That Bucket of BS... whatever video... 'Guy is shootin' at 40'. That's not self defense range. The pistol was made for close-in... 12-6'... which is where you're gonna do it mostly. All this 'penetration' stuff is crap. The wound channel of a 9mm 'drill' compared to a .45 hammer and 3 x 35 cal balls disking in several directions... with the attendant hydraulic shock of ruptured organs and the shrapnel effect of bone splinters is gonna ruin somethin's day.

'Did my own test with a borrowed gun: Cow skull onna post @ 8', .45 LC: Holed the skull 'n blew out bone bits... knocked the skull off the post.
    .410 000 Buck (3 x 35 cal balls) same range. Blew the skull apart.

This will prob'ly be my next pistol. I see no advantage with a slug... as the .45LC is a better choice for that. The buckshot however, within' the effective range makes a mess. With either round... there is no over-penetration. The Judge is a point-defense weapon and snake killer. Hardly a gimmick.
    "Never pick a fight with an old man... he'll prob'ly just kill you!"

Sonora, thanks for the back up. Not a gimmick gun but if you don't think it fits your world then....don't get it right? I'm cross draw with a Blackhawk Serpa. Very nice setup and doesn't bang up a long arm slung on right shoulder. I did see somewhere recently that you can buy speed strips for the 45/410. And you're right, slugs make no sense. But to your point, 45's do. BTW, I've got a SS and a Lightweight. Like 'em both but the Lightweight will talk to you after a couple wheels.
    Savage Heartland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links