Worst recoil you have experienced?

This is a discussion on Worst recoil you have experienced? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rifle: 300 Weatherby mag. "Pistol": T/C chambered in 45-70. (Only once) It actually drew blood on my hand. I think there was a small gap ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst recoil you have experienced?

VIP Member
    Rifle: 300 Weatherby mag.

"Pistol": T/C chambered in 45-70. (Only once) It actually drew blood on my hand. I think there was a small gap between the grip and the frame which pinched a chuck of flesh off.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

2. Remove Ads

My buddy's Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

That or a 10ga side-by-side coach gun pulling both triggers in quick unison trying to impress some lady folk. I ended up on my butt and the pretty ladies laughed. I recall something about women liking a guy who can make them laugh, right?

stevens single barrel 16 gauge shotgun. when i was a teen. none of my buddies ever shot it more than once. guess i dont understand me. i have fired all of the "normal" hunting rounds in this area and the only one i was intimidated by was the 50 bfg. after one shot i decided there is too much hype about that round. i have never been reluctant to fire any weapon. just never had a problem with recoil.

Browning A Bolt - caliber 338 Winchester Magnum - no recoil pad and wearing only a light jacket.

Worst recoil? A double-bbl 10ga shotgun when I was 10yrs old. The cousins thought it would be a fine way to introduce me to guns. I ended up thinking it was merely an effective way to show me how high my shoes could be launched above my head, as I got knocked arse over tip, backwards. In the end, it worked out. I'm still shooting, after all these years. Thanx, cuz.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

.458 winchester with a 400gr solid, out of a marlin lever gun with no recoil pad; i can still feel it today!

BTW, they guy that owned the gun called it his "macho man" load.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    .375 H& H magnum, the 3rd shot made my nose bleed
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Searcy .600 Nitro Express boxlock double.

Next in line, 45 120 500 Sharps w/ steel butt plate.

Next in line a double 10 ga.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Shooting an irate steer with a broken leg while straddling a six foot fence using a single shot 12 gauge with 3 inch slugs.

On a bet, pulled both triggers on a side by side 12ga that was loaded with 3" 1oz slugs. I'll never do that again.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

An old 16 gauge Ithaca Featherweight double barrel. It was the model with two triggers. When I was much younger and dumber, I decided to see what it would do if I pulled both triggers simultaneously. It didn't quite put me on the ground, but my shoulder still hurt the next day. Both shells were high brass loads.

As a kid I went from a 410 to an old single barrel and rather light 16 gauge and I don't remember the make. We used to take turns shooting pigeons on a farm with it. Sort of a "I can take more than you" thing.

I learned to love a 7mm Rem Magnum my friend had. He couldn't hit with it because of recoil anticipation. I was doing 400 yard prone shots with it and that was one accurate rifle! I liked the way it shot and never minded the big push.

I guess the biggest caliber handgun has been a 44. mag. The recoil never bothered me, you just let her roll!

These days with the onset of arthritis I keep things a bit tamer.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    10 ga when both barrels went at the same time.
    DITTO!!! Neighbor had an old 10 ga side-by-side. He knew it had a bad habit of double-busting when you pulled the front trigger because of the recoil, but didn't warn me. I was 16. It laid me flat out on my back in the middle of an old gravel road, and I frankly did not feel like getting back up for a while...

fwm
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I found most polymer framed revolvers, namely the
    S&W Air light .38 to have quite a kick to them. For this reason and only this reason, for now I only shoot well balanced well made semi-automatic pistols.
    S&W doesn't make polymer framed air weight revolvers. Only Scandium(Alloyed with aluminum), Titanium, Aluminum, and various types of Steel(stainless and not stainless).

The only modern polymer framed revolver is made by Ruger, and I don't think they have actually hit the market yet.

I shot a Fox 10 ga. goose gun when I was seven. It knocked me plumb up under a 1965 Ford p/up.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links