Skeet and Trap

Skeet and Trap

This is a discussion on Skeet and Trap within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone got some recomendations for a O/U skeet and trap gun. The most I want to spend is $1500. Any help would be great thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeet and Trap

Skeet and Trap

Anyone got some recomendations for a O/U skeet and trap gun. The most I want to spend is $1500. Any help would be great thanks.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    A buddy just bought a Browning Citori and wow what a fine gun. They make a number of variations in the model. He bought into a new one but last years model. Beautiful checkering and quality wood, pretty spiffy gold plated chokes, hard case, etc for.....$1400 I'm pretty sure.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    There are several offerings in that price range. I highly recommend you borrow or try and rent a couple before you buy. Not all O/U feel the same, and not all work for everyone. It is a very personal thing. My experience has been that anyone can easily get to 45/50 or 48/50 with just about any O/U. But to get those other 2 birds requires a perfect fit.

Browning makes outstanding guns, as do Beretta. There are also other good Italian makers out there. My preference is for Browning as that is what fits me best.

Also, Trap and Skeet are different games. What works best for one does not work so well for the other. I like shorter barrels myself, having both 26" and 24" barrels on my O/U. Other folks like longer barrels.

I prefer trap, from what I've read I understand a 30 inch barrel and 12 guage are both standard. Is this correct?
    NRA Member

You are on the lower end of anything quality with your price cap for an O/U dedicated for clay target games. I would also suggest looking at a good quality used gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt jas View Post
    You are on the lower end of anything quality with your price cap for an O/U dedicated for clay target games. I would also suggest looking at a good quality used gun.
    Always a good idea. People don't abuse 5 to 10 thousand dollar guns so used ones look like new.

I work the trap range at my local club and I see all kinds of very expensive shotguns ( some as high as 60K+). One thing I've noticed is that the price of the gun doesn't reflect shooter ability. One of our best shooters shoots a Remington 870 (highly modified). I suggest hanging out at the trap range and talking to the other shooters. Try to fondle some guns to find what you like best.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by capt jas View Post
    I agree.

I've known plenty of wealthy businessmen who went once or twice to shoot trap, skeet or sporting clays and then went out and spent $2500+ on shotguns. They then use the gun a couple more times and then moved on to another hobby. After a year or so they are more than willing to sell the gun at a significant loss.

It should also be noted that a great deal of the pricing for Brownings, Berettas and other high end guns is cosmetic. The price will go up thousands based on the quality of the wood and scrolling on the metal. This has NOTHING to do with how the gun will shoot.

VIP Member
    Never got into shooting skeet and trap, but then I never found a good recipe on how to cook them either!

cap jaz has good advice: look around for a good used gun. Because of these troubling economic times, even I am amazed at what's showing up at the pawn and gun shops. Remember, also, that ofttimes, a gun fancier dies and his survivors are left with a collection of firearms on their hands, and they turn to the local pawn shop to get rid of them. While this practice may be ill-advised in getting what the gun is really worth, none the less, such is reality, and there's no reason we shooters shouldn't profit from it.

I guess Gunbroker is the best place to look for used shotguns?
    NRA Member

My dad has a Beretta 686 I think he paid about $1500 for it slightly used. Nice gun! Be sure it fits you right before you buy it.

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkstafoo1 View Post
    I guess Gunbroker is the best place to look for used shotguns?
    No. The best place to look for a used trap gun is at your local range. Ask around. Someone there has two or three at home that they bought when the were just getting started. Going the gun broker route will cost lots more.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

When I worked for Cessna, they had a skeet range a mile north of my house. I think you can shoot a decent round of skeet with any good hunting gun. Trap is a different beast. With a $1500 budget, I might look for a nice Remington 1100, a second trap barrel, and a shot shell reloader.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

May I ask, is there a reason that you're insisting on an O/U?

How much do you intend to shoot?

My perspective is as a former competitive skeet shooter. I've put a lot of rounds down range....... Unless your motivation is to shoot all guages out of the same platform by adding tubes, I'd highly recommend that you consider something like a Rem 1100. Even if you're only semi-serious, it's easy to shoot many hundreds of rounds in a week......often over the course of a weekend. You'll be glad for the reduced recoil and with different barrels available, it's a heck of a lot more versatile too.

Just my .02 worth.

BTW.....if you're absolutely stuck on the O/U, I don't think that the Beretta's can be beat for the $'s.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    May I ask, is there a reason that you're insisting on an O/U?

How much do you intend to shoot?

My perspective is as a former competitive skeet shooter. I've put a lot of rounds down range....... Unless your motivation is to shoot all guages out of the same platform by adding tubes, I'd highly recommend that you consider something like a Rem 1100. Even if you're only semi-serious, it's easy to shoot many hundreds of rounds in a week......often over the course of a weekend. You'll be glad for the reduced recoil and with different barrels available, it's a heck of a lot more versatile too.

Just my .02 worth.

BTW.....if you're absolutely stuck on the O/U, I don't think that the Beretta's can be beat for the $'s.
    I couldn't agree more, I had a Ruger Red Label at one time.
    Never did it out shoot my 1100.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links