Where do you draw the line on recoil? Or do you? - Page 2

Where do you draw the line on recoil? Or do you?

This is a discussion on Where do you draw the line on recoil? Or do you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; all my pistols are 9mm. I like the quick and easy follow up shots i can get out of it. I have one M4gery that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    all my pistols are 9mm. I like the quick and easy follow up shots i can get out of it. I have one M4gery that is great to shoot. i also have a Benelli M4 which has low recoil shells loaded in it. it is my house gun and I figure that at the ranges that I have in the house, those low recoil shells will do just fine.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

I too am a big guy, 6'3'' and 300#. That said I used to love shooting the ''kick like a mule guns''. But having lived longer than I expected and not taken care of my body the way I should have... lets just say enough was enough.
    For handgun .41mag is the biggest I own and want to shoot more than a few shots out of any more. I will say though I have a Grendell .380 that I hate to fire anymore, it kicks terrible. For riffle my 30.06 is the limit for me or at least my tender shoulders. And as sgtD said if a 12ga 3'' 1oz slug out of my shottie won't kill it, it don't need killin.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I too am a big guy, 6'3'' and 300#. That said I used to love shooting the ''kick like a mule guns''. But having lived longer than I expected and not taken care of my body the way I should have... lets just say enough was enough.
    For handgun .41mag is the biggest I own and want to shoot more than a few shots out of any more. I will say though I have a Grendell .380 that I hate to fire anymore, it kicks terrible. For riffle my 30.06 is the limit for me or at least my tender shoulders. And as sgtD said if a 12ga 3'' 1oz slug out of my shottie won't kill it, it don't need killin.
    I've got a mossberg 500 12ga, with a rifled slug barrel. Last year before deer season came, I decided to check if it was sighted in.

I took a box of 5 of those Winchester 3" sabot slugs to the range. Shot 2 at 50yds, two at 100yds. Hit close to the bull and decided I didn't need to fire the last round unless a deer was in front of the sights.

The fourth shot felt like my shoulder was being broken. My shoulder was bruised and sore for days. I swear it kicks worse than any gun I own. Way worse than an ought-six. In fact, I think it kicks worse than an ought-six even with 2 3/4" sabot slugs.

When I check the sights this year, I plan on making it a two shot check, cause it just aint no fun to punish yourself.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I can't really draw a line for any specific caliber.

I am currently 6'3" and a pretty solid 250#. 31 years old, but have put my share of injuries on my body.

This is what I can tell you for what I have learned about recoil during my life so far.

When I was young, nothing had too much recoil in my book.

When I became a young man, I drew a line somewhere in the sand.

When I started to realize that pain was no longer fun, my line got a little closer and a little broader.

These days, while no caliber out there truly intimadates me yet, I am happy to let the younger pups cross my line for me, and then I will decide whether or not I want to try it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Somewhere between a .30-30 and a mild .308 is about my limit; .243 perhaps. With the right stock and balance, a well-made .243 with a mid-length, medium-to-heavy hunting contour barrel feels just fine.

My M48 Mauser is a bit firm, but it's more like how a .45ACP differs from a 9mm. IMO, the 8mm Mauser simply doesn't have that sharp snap that many of the hunting calibers have. It feels like a heavy .243 "push/thud" to me, instead of a sharper "snap/crack" of a .30-06 or .270. Give me "thud" every time, even in pistols.

Interestingly, a solid 12ga shotgun doesn't much bother me, nor does my Ithaca SKB 100 SxS 20ga, though due to the light weight and balance the Ithaca has a sharper impact than every other firearm I own, particularly with a hot load.

For a half-day of unlimited rounds of plinking, I love the .44mag lever-action. For all day, the .357mag lever. There simply isn't enough ammo in the house to support a days-long .357 lever habit ... and that's the sad, sorry truth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

sgtD I have a Moss 500 too, before season now I fire 5 slugs just for a check. I've been shooting it for so long I am pretty much only just checking the functioning of the gun. Only to be young and invincible again.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links