Kimber Custom Shop - at home?

This is a discussion on Kimber Custom Shop - at home? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I need some new grip screws as the ones I have are rounded out from more than one replacement. I was putting my Crimson ...

Thread: Kimber Custom Shop - at home?

So I need some new grip screws as the ones I have are rounded out from more than one replacement. I was putting my Crimson Trace grips back on my Stainless Ultra Carry II and I couldn't get two of the screws out becuase they are stripped. I called a few shops today looking for replacements in retail stock because I am going to destroy the screws taking them out. No one has them.

I was referred to Kimber's web site by everyone, so I went there. The first a-ha moment was when I decided to go from silver to black screws to better match the grip color. Then I started looking at other parts and I had the second a-ha moment. "What if I were to order the thumb safety, grip safety, slide lock and trigger in black?" This would give me a nice custom two tone black and stainless Kimber. Custom shop at home.

I'm not a gunsmith, so can you guys/gals tell me if I can change these parts out without comprimising the integrity of the weapon, at home? Do I need a gunsmith, how much should I expect to pay for that work?

Has anyone else done something like this?

I am afraid if you are stripping out grip screws then this other work may be beyond your mechanical ability. I don't mean that to be cruel but just based on reality.
    A good gunsmith can do the job you want very quickly and easily and your gun will function correctly and safely.
    I had a gunsmith replace a trigger snd smooth everything up for $60 but prices vary between gunsmiths. Call around to different gunsmiths and they can give you a good idea of the costs.

Good luck with your project.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatPuppet View Post
    So I need some new grip screws as the ones I have are rounded out from more than one replacement. I was putting my Crimson Trace grips back on my Stainless Ultra Carry II and I couldn't get two of the screws out becuase they are stripped. I called a few shops today looking for replacements in retail stock because I am going to destroy the screws taking them out. No one has them.

I was referred to Kimber's web site by everyone, so I went there. The first a-ha moment was when I decided to go from silver to black screws to better match the grip color. Then I started looking at other parts and I had the second a-ha moment. "What if I were to order the thumb safety, grip safety, slide lock and trigger in black?" This would give me a nice custom two tone black and stainless Kimber. Custom shop at home.

I'm not a gunsmith, so can you guys/gals tell me if I can change these parts out without comprimising the integrity of the weapon, at home? Do I need a gunsmith, how much should I expect to pay for that work?

Has anyone else done something like this?
    Kimber is a very finely machined pistol. I would only attempt basic take-down and cleaning described in the manual that comes with the pistol. Anything more can void the warranty.

A terrific gunsmith I use is Earl's Repair Service, Inc.

He works mainly on Walther and Sig's but worth giving him a call. He is one of the best.

978-851-2656
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Frank, thanks for being frank. I figured out what the deal was, the allen wrench I was using wasn't quality and it wasn't completely seating into the screw head. I obtained a better wrench and the screws came out with no trouble. Only the very tops are rounded on two of the four screws.

So now my crimson trace grips are back on and I'm ready to customize my Kimber.

So, I will not be attempting to customize my gun myself. I'd like to deal with a local gunsmith. anyone know of a good one in the Virginia Beach, Norfolk or Richmond area?

Has anyone seen a two tone Kimber or other 1911 that I can use for a reference?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links