Sunday I pick up my new family member

This is a discussion on Sunday I pick up my new family member within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sunday I am meeting a friend of mine at one of his friend's places to go shooting. Part of this trip is me testing out ...

Thread: Sunday I pick up my new family member

Sunday I pick up my new family member

Sunday I am meeting a friend of mine at one of his friend's places to go shooting. Part of this trip is me testing out his AK-47 (Yugo) before I buy it.

I can't wait, I am also taking my 12 yo to shoot some too.

A couple of questions for those who already own an AK:

1. What do I need to look for, other than the obvious of how it is cared for and the action.
    2. What should my first mods be? (I think I need to get a bayonet kit first)

I will post pics and a video as soon as I have it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Make sure that the mags have a good fit, not too much wobble. I'd also make sure that the furniture is in usable shape and still firmly attached. Look out for canted front sight and gas block (when either the front sight assembly or the gas bock is off center on the barrel) and make sure that the barrel is in-line with the receiver. I would also look to see that the rear sight base is on straight as well. That being said, all of these things can be off a bit and you'll be alright, it is an AK after all, you just have to make sure that it is not enough to affect the weapon's performance/safety adversely or that you can't stand to look at it. Additionally, a lot of these problems can be fixed by yourself or a competent gunsmith. My Bulgy has a slightly canted front sight, just enough that I can see it, it shoots fine though I 'll probably end up fixing it when I stop being lazy because even though others don't notice it unless I point it out, it bothers me because a little bit.

Edit - Forgot to put first mod suggestions, it depends on what you are looking to spend and what exactly you want to do to it. If the trigger on it sucks that would be a good first one, the Tapco G2 FCGs will eliminate trigger slap if that is a problem, I have Power Custom adjustable trigger in mine which is a bit more expensive but worth it for me. While you're installing that new trigger it would be a good time to replace the shepherd's crook holding the FCG group pins in place with a metal plate made for the purpose. You don't have to worry about who you buy it from because it is a very simple piece and not under a lot of stress. A windage adjustable rear sight is also a nice upgrade, I have a Mojo microclick peep sight on mine. Additionally, if you want to shoot at anything 100yds plus I have problems seeing my target very well with the stock front sight post (too fat) so you could either throw a red dot or scope on the thing or get one of the thinner front sight posts or a crosshair style front sight. If you put a red dot or the like with no magnification on it, I'd recommend the Ultimake gas tube replacement with integrated rail. It won't lose it's zero once attached, you can co-witness your iron sights with most tubular red-dots using this rail and you don't have to remove it to clean your internals. Some people, me included, don't really like the small grip and short stock, great for those wearing a ton of cold weather gear but if you're not planning excursions to the arctic and you find these parts to be uncomfortable they are easily replaced. None of these upgrades are neccessary but a lot of them are nice to have, but there is one add-on that I recommend over all others, lots and lots of magazines. Stay away from the pro mags, surplus steel ones are the best for me, especially those 20rd Hungarian tanker mags, they make it a lot easier to shoot prone or from a bench. Enjoy your new AK!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    AK-47 type rifles are very forgiving with lack of lubrication and proper care. I usually just spray down the internals of my Romanian AK with Breakfree CLP, let it sit there for ten minutes, and go back in with cotton patches. I get out what I can, and it usually takes about 20 or 30 patches for me to get the entire gun relatively clean. I shoot the cheap dirty steel cased ammo almost exclusively.

Bayonets are cool to have, but I don't think they serve any practical purpose unless you plan on going to war and charging the enemy. I suggest ammo and magazines, because a gun is nothing more than a paperweight without those two things. I can tell you that AK-47 rifles are a blast to shoot, and caring for them is stupidly simple.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I enjoyed shooting alot of AK's overseas.... I am a bit jealous that you own one!!!!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm sold on getting a folding stock, if it does not have one already... a proper folder makes it very easy to manage in tight conditions, and mine is rock solid when extended... 50 bucks well spent...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Thanks for the tips and info. The bayonet kit will serve no purpose but eye candy, and they are like $25 at CTD. This one will come with 3 or 4 mags and some ammo, if we don't shoot it all up. I am looking at getting 1k rounds for it as soon as I can, any suggegistions on ammo brands.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My AK rifle has just recently started to experience FTFs on Wolf, but it has never jammed on any ammo I put through it. I have good luck with Golden Tiger, but that's the only other ammo brand I tried. I did pick up a few boxes of Golden Bear which is brass plated steel cased ammo, but haven't had the chance to test it out yet.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I shoot the cheapest safe ammo that I can get my hands on, though there is not too much of that floating around these days. Wolf mostly. +1 on ease of maintenance, you don't have to baby an AK, if I recall correctly the mujahadeen back in the 80s would usually just knot up some cord, dip it in motor oil or whatever they could get, then run it through the barrel. That being said, take good care of your firearm and it will serve you well for decades to come.

Links