Looking for an inexpensive .40

This is a discussion on Looking for an inexpensive .40 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A buddy of mine is looking to get a cheap .40S&W handgun. He is a hunter, primarily, and is not going to be CCing this ...

Thread: Looking for an inexpensive .40

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

A buddy of mine is looking to get a cheap .40S&W handgun. He is a hunter, primarily, and is not going to be CCing this gun. He will maybe take it plinking a few times a year and mostly have it as a sidearm when he goes hunting in and around southern PA.

Anyway, he is just going to head down to Bass Pro and pick something up. He started telling me that there was a S&W he was looking at. Of course, I assumed M&P, but we met up for lunch today and I actually saw what his price range was and what he was looking at.

So, what they have on the shelf at this Bass Pro is a .40 S&W Sigma, and in the same price range they have a Taurus PT-140 and a Stoeger Cougar in .40.

I steered him towards the Cougar if he likes the feel of it (he'll go back in a couple days to pick one out and do the paperwork), and he also liked the manual safety as a feature on the Stoeger, too.

Keep in mind he is not going to go combing around for a lot of different guns to try and, for his usage parameters, he is not interested in spending more money that this (so the NIB P229 right about the Stoeger is not, alas, in the running ), so this is pretty much the list of choices.

What do you think?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

In PA if I remember correctly or it changed-you can't have a semi-automatic on you while hunting, to include spotting. Like you said it's really up to him liking something but I would check the legality of a semi while hunting.
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

Yes defintley check your states laws on this. Many states do not allow carrying a semi-auto on you while hunting.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Heard a lot of good things about the Sigma. Good weapon for the money, a few guys at the range shoot them with no problems.
    No handguns while deer hunting in mass.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

You want cheap, but why a .40?
    Just curious...

I would suggest a used S&W snubbie (in .38)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not being a hunter, it never occurred to me to worry about what you can use to protect yourself against a stray bear while hunting. Weird. Okay, I will remind him to look into those laws.

Out of curiosity, does the prohibition on semis still apply if you have a carry permit and the weapon is concealed?

As for the choice of caliber, he has a relative who's LEO, gets his issue boxes of .40S&W every year and basically never shoots more than what is required at qualification. So he has a cheap supply of .40S&W for the amount he intends to shoot it.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Try CDNN for a Steyr M40A1 NIB 349.00, Steyr makes a good quality gun.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

kpw
    With an LTCF in Pa., you can carry a semi-auto pistol but you cannot use it to take or put down game. That doesn't mean all DGCOs know that but a lot of them don't read the regs book year after year.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    +1! Carried this for two years. Worked great, no ftf's, dead on accurate, fits my hand like a glove.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    With an LTCF in Pa., you can carry a semi-auto pistol but you cannot use it to take or put down game.
    Okay, that sounds reasonable. We are definitely not talking about a pistol for hunting here. Thanks!

the sigma is a good deal if you can get use to the trigger.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    +1. they also have a EAA EZ 40 or 9mm for $329. It is a copy of a sig p226. EAA makes very good stuff for the money!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Out of curiosity, does the prohibition on semis still apply if you have a carry permit and the weapon is concealed?
    During Hunting Season Yes-You cannot carry a semi auto at all-must be a revolver. Most hunters have a sportsman permit which is legal during hunting season, a concealed permit is also legal but it must be a revolver. IMO I would keep a copy of the laws they give you when you get your license and have it in my backpack while hunting just in case. Also IMO if you're planning on bears and the like-put down bears and the like I would go with a magnum caliber. Good luck
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

Links