Best manufacture for AR-15's? - Page 2

Best manufacture for AR-15's?

This is a discussion on Best manufacture for AR-15's? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by matiki ...it is more likely you will have a bad experience with those brands, than with say, LMT or Colt, for example. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best manufacture for AR-15's?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    ...it is more likely you will have a bad experience with those brands, than with say, LMT or Colt, for example.

A big chunk of what you pay for is mitigating the risk that you will have a problem.
    +1 Problems are no fun.

Read this, it has all the info you need:
    So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

I would be sure to get one with an A3 upper (to mount optics, or even a carry handle if you want one), 1/7 or 1/9 twist 5.56 barrel, milspec buffer tube and firing pins (so you can use standard parts).
    I own a LMT Defender in M-4 style and I love it. You can expect to pay $1200 or so for one new.

Senior Moderator
    That doesn't mean you can't buy a Bushmaster, DPMS, even Oly-Arms gun and have a fantastic experience with it. It might be the best darned AR-15 seen since 'Nam. But it is more likely you will have a bad experience with those brands, than with say, LMT or Colt, for example.
    Yes and no.

For a long time Bushmaster was making MOST of the part for Colts. At one time there were only a handful of people making the lower recievers and then stamping the names on them.

Now you have the small shops with the CNC equipment turning out hundreds of lowers and using their own names or stamping whoever contracted them out to do it. I know of at least 2 that are doing that right now. The CNC doesnt leave much room for error and I have personally looked at several lowers of different manufactures that look as good or better than some of the well known brands.

Buy a lower parts kits from several different shop that sell them, and its very likely you'll be getting the same parts in different packages.

They are generic guns. Get a print, produce it to the tolerances on the print and one will be as good as the next. I've built several myself using blank forgings that were cheap and no one could tell the difference.The beauty of it is, they work just as well.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BAC
    You've missed matiki's point.

Like any other manufacturing industry, a relatively few number of companies actually manufacture the AR-15 parts. Nobody is denying that. The difference is in what parts the companies actually building the rifles accept, and what they reject. Bravo Company, Colt, LMT, Noveske, etc., have much higher rejection rates than Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, etc. Consequently, the rifles in the former category have a lower rate of problems than those in the latter category. As an example, many of Colt's problems are simply worn out rifles, since the US military doesn't appear to enforce any preventative maintenance schedule. RRA, on the other hand, makes different rifles for .gov customers than it does for civilian and LEO customers (very similar to the difference between an 870 Express and an 870 Police). There are a lot of variables folks don't take into account when dismissing differences between rifle brands as a matter of "different rollmarks".

-B
    atctimmy likes this.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member
    +1 on Bushmaster. Like a Ford truck (there's a can of worms). Steady and dependable but not flashy out of the box. But yeah, AR's are a commodity hodge podge of parts, suppliers and assemblers calling themselves manufacturers.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Im just waiting for Taurus to come out with one like they did the 1911. LOL!
    God & Guns!

Hell, Para Ordnance has their own.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Hell, Para Ordnance has their own.
    Are you referring to the TTR, previously the LR300?

FWIW, I have no opinion on these, I'm not trolling.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

As some of the others have pointed out, all ARs are not created equal and to believe they are is to be in denial. Regardless of where he source parts come from, the different manufacturers assemble and test their weapons differently; some lower tier manufacturers don’t bother to “test” any components at all while others can’t seem to properly stake a gas key.

The “chart” is a great tool for what it is, which is a comparison of manufactures products against a known standard, which is the TDP or Technical Data Package. The TDP is the specifications the military has developed on how their weapons will be built.

Some of the features may or may not be what you think you require or want, but at least by reviewing he chart you can make an educated decision.

The problem a lot of folks have with it is that it really shoots down the “it’s as good as” argument. You can simply look at the base prices and compare features. Funny thing though, as the price decreases so does the testing the manufacturer performs and the rifles features.

“The Chart” can be found here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...jFwPrgTA&hl=en

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Can't go wrong with any of the top players although I personally prefer RRA

I don't own an AR from one company (all built from different brand parts) but the Sabre Defense products seems really nice to me.

DPMS makes the tightest AR's Around cost a bit more but well worth it. Ive owed a bushmaster a shot a DPMS no comparison.
    A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
    George S. Patton

I've got an Armalite M15A4 and I like it. In my search, I was down to Bushmaster, DPMS and Armalite. The Armalite won because of two things: it had a better fit and finish (to my eye) and a lifetime warranty. I've put 300 rounds through it so far (100 today) without a hitch. Nobody has made bad recommendation yet though.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

BAC
    I really shouldn't, but...

Quote Originally Posted by jlwash View Post
    DPMS makes the tightest AR's Around cost a bit more but well worth it.
    Please clarify what you mean by "tightest ARs around", and why or if this is a good thing.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Wanted to add: My friend owned a Bushmaster (don't know what model) but it ate everything we gave it. Including reloads.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I like my bushmaster.I suspect most of the good manufactures are being hard pressed to keep their product on the gun shops shelves.Anything to do with
    firearms the shelves were pretty empty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links