Carrying in Church debate.... funny, but very true.....

This is a discussion on Carrying in Church debate.... funny, but very true..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know what got this going... but I walked up to a group that often eat together outside at work. They were discussing "carrying" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I don't know what got this going... but I walked up to a group that often eat together outside at work. They were discussing "carrying" at Church. Some were very adamant... "why would you feel a need to carry a GUN at church". Blah , blah, blah. I stayed out of the debate. The ratio was about 80% against, 20% for.

While they are debating, I get a call that the shotgun I ordered has arrived, so I tell them I'll come by after work to get it.

So, I'm in the gun shop.... and next to me there is this man buying a .357 S&W revolver, and they are looking at ammo. He makes the comment... "oh, I want hollow point".... I hope to never have to shoot this gun, but if I do I "pray the Lord will make me a good shot and I will stop them on the first one".

I asked him what he did for a living. He was a pastor of a church and told me that he had his conceal carry license.

Me: Do you plan to be carrying during services ?
    Him : "why of course... you never know when there will be a need to protect ourselves".
    Me : Do you know any other pastor, ministers, etc that carry ?
    Him : ALL OF THEM do that I know, and I know quite a few..(laughing)

I thought that was the height of being ironic.... the sheep in the pews don't know their pastor is a sheep dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

So, I'm in the gun shop.... and next to me there is this man buying a .357 S&W revolver, and they are looking at ammo. He makes the comment... "oh, I want hollow point".... I hope to never have to shoot this gun, but if I do I "pray the Lord will make me a good shot and I will stop them on the first one".

I asked him what he did for a living. He was a pastor of a church and told me that he had his conceal carry license.

Him : "why of course... you never know when there will be a need to protect ourselves".

I thought that was the height of being ironic.... the sheep in the pews don't know their pastor is a sheep dog.
    If you ever find out the name of his church let me know, ...because that will be the one I will attend services from now on.
    God bless our troops!

I don't know what got this going... but I walked up to a group that often eat together outside at work. They were discussing "carrying" at Church. Some were very adamant... "why would you feel a need to carry a GUN at church". Blah , blah, blah. I stayed out of the debate. The ratio was about 80% against, 20% for.

While they are debating, I get a call that the shotgun I ordered has arrived, so I tell them I'll come by after work to get it.

After all of the church shootings in the last few years--and especially the awful incident in Missouri this last week--you would think the sheeple would have pulled their collective head out their collective azz on this one...

I don't blame the guy, though I sure hope he spends the time to get proficient in using it. I started carrying in Church though I did feel a little weird about it at first.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Protecting the congergation is one of the main reasons I carry everytime I am at church, Sundays, Funerals, and weddings.

I pray I will never draw my weapon, I train often from 7 yards to 25 which is about the max I believe I would ever have to shoot in the cchurch.

Sinners

When I was a teeager and starting the shooting sports I talked to my grizzled old Pastor about guns.

"Son," he said "you've never been to my church. I keep an old six shooter in the pulpit all the time. Whenever a sinner gets saved, knowing that his old sin nature is still in him, I just pull the six shooter out and shoot him on the spot."

"Yes sir that's the ticket. Send 'em right to heaven spotless and unblemished".

I started going to a different church just in case...

...Skye...

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    That is great that he wants to carry but I sure hope he gets some training and LEARNS how to shoot his new gun. Otherwise he is a potential danger to the people he wants to protect. I think there are a lot of people with permits who don't realize the responsibility they are taking on when they decide to carry.

I started carrying in Church though I did feel a little weird about it at first.
    In the end, a church is simply a building with a couple of doors and a hundred unsuspecting people inside. Viewed from a violent criminal's perspective, the relevant indicators are that (a) there are plenty of people and (b) folks are more unsuspecting than most, many of whom are hampered by the hope that the spirit of the place will bar the doors against a willing criminal. Ain't gonna happen, so long as such places open their arms to anyone. Caution IS due. If recent history of church slayings is any indication, caution is due.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A church is just another place that BG's can figure on finding unarmed victims and money, and lately there seems to be a rash of 'crazies' who just want to shoot someone.

Either way, FL allows individuals the option to be armed without asking anyone's permission.

I know that when my wife and I are in church...our seating area is covered.

Stay armed...Mr. Kimber goes to church, too...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 21st, 2009 at 06:26 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    I don't blame the guy, though I sure hope he spends the time to get proficient in using it. I started carrying in Church though I did feel a little weird about it at first.
    Welcome to the carry club.

I carry everywhere I can. It now only feels weird when I have to enter someplace where I can't carry and I have to deal with disarming. Not only does it feel weird, it makes me unhappy.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I just recently sold a 357 Magnum revolver to a priest who has had several breakins at his rectory. He is also signing up for a concealed carry course. I don't see a problem with anyone wanting to protect themselves.

I think of Pastors more as Shepherds.......and the shepherd is to be feared by the wolves as much or MORE than his sheep dogs.

Bravo Zulu!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I've posted this before; "Peter was packin." When the solders came for Jesus - Peter pulled out his carry weapon of the day - short sword. Today it's more commonly a concealed carry handgun. Ever try to CC a short sword?
    For God, Family and Country!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Ever try to CC a short sword?
    It was called "cloak and dagger" for a reason. There was far more room for the Jockey shorts in a toga or cloak of the day than a pair of modern Docker's, I'd bet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I think of Pastors more as Shepherds.......and the shepherd is to be feared by the wolves as much or MORE than his sheep dogs.

Bravo Zulu!
    Yep, here's what shepherds do:

1 Samuel 17
    34 But David said to Saul, "Your servant was tending his father's sheep. When a lion or a bear came and took a lamb from the flock,
    35 I went out after him and attacked him, and rescued it from his mouth; and when he rose up against me, I seized him by his beard and struck him and killed him.
    36 "Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, since he has taunted the armies of the living God."
    This shepherd became King of Israel, but at the time he was talking he was probably about 14 years of age. A few minutes later he pulled out his EDC weapon ( a sling and stone - about .380 caliber ) and killed a well-armed and armored man by hitting him in the forehead with the stone. Thereby proving once and for all that it is placement not caliber that matters the most. Seriously, shepherds protect the flock regardless who, how many, or how big the attacker are.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links