Rant - DEA agents can not ID a common weapon. - Page 2

Rant - DEA agents can not ID a common weapon.

This is a discussion on Rant - DEA agents can not ID a common weapon. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; YouTube - DEA Agent Shoots Himself Austin...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant - DEA agents can not ID a common weapon.

I know that I've never made a mistake.

I am willing, however, to give these guys some slack...yeah, they have some things to learn...they will.

I'm happy that another drug dealer is off the streets.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I saw the same show,and I'm sorry but when guys with Federal Badges spout off about something they don't know **** about and claim it to be something it isn't,Non Gun people believe that what they are saying is true.There was no ? like is that a mac 10,gee I'm not sure,they said It is a mac 10 and machinegun.So now everytime the public sees something evil looking it has to be a machinegun.These guys are from JERSEY so I expect no less,the only thing they couls Identify is a real Philly cheesesteak sammich
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    1. That's entertainment.

2. The DEA are not law enforcement officers, they're "federal agents".

3. There's no particular reason they need to be able to identify every firearm ever made.

4. Why do you watch that crap?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Remember they are DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency). I wonder if they have ever sampled the product?
    I think that is Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I think that is Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
    OOPs beat me to it!

Kind of like Mac-10 or Kel Tec. (Ok, that I couldn't resist!) Sorry, my bad.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats the media's fault and the sappy public who eat these garabge shows up.

I agree with this. I do not believe the media have any place with the law enforcement and military as to being "part of the action" or "embedded" in any way.

I hate these "as it happens" shows. Reality TV sux too.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    DEA are law enforcement officers. In the federal system there are two types of officers. Criminal Investigators are law enforcement officers. Your normal uniform street patrol cop is what is referred to as a protective services officer. In order to be considered law enforcement you must have a certain amount of your job being investigations, making arrests, and/or serving court processes. If the majority of your work is crime prevention, patrol, aprehension and administrative then you are considered protective services. There are some exceptions but they are approved by OPM and Congress for the most part. U.S. Marshals are law enforcement, Border Patrol is law enforcement, but the last time I checked (years ago) Customs Enforcement were protective services (may have changed by now). As a Dept. of the Army Police Officer I am not considered a law enforcement officer, we are considered protective services.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I agree with this. I do not believe the media have any place with the law enforcement and military as to being "part of the action" or "embedded" in any way.

I hate these "as it happens" shows. Reality TV sux too.
    As a former Law Enforcement trainer, I can say that one show I saw... "Worlds Scariest Police Shootouts" provided a legitimate teaching moment to an extent.

While the broadcast TV showing of these shooting incidents caught on patrol car dash mounted camera's was geared towards the entertainment value and shown in a sensationalistic light... Anytime you can watch actual gunfights in real time as they play out at the side of the road can provide a learning opportunity.

Over half the shootouts I saw in that TV show were the exact same videos I viewed when I was getting my certification as a LEO trainer or saw in my Calibre Press "Street Survival" seminar for LEO's.

The only difference was, in my training class, the instructors who were certifying us as defense trainers was able to start and stop the video's at will to interject lessons learned and mistakes made and how to do things differently. What we also saw, which they didn't have on TV was several LEO's getting killed and laying there dying. We also had video of the officers involved in the shootings explaining what happened and what they were thinking during their encounter.

So, I would say, anytime a civilian CCW holder has an opportunity to see actual gunfight footage, there could be a life saving teaching moment there.

But SIXTO is generally correct in that I feel a lot of that "Reality TV" is just sensationalistic crap put on for entertainment purposes and the "wow" factor.

JMHO. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've always found that the best thing to do if you don't know what the heck you are talking about, shut your mouth. Just how I try to handle things though...
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have met LEO's here that can't even tell me the name of the gun they are carrying!!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I've always found that the best thing to do if you don't know what the heck you are talking about, shut your mouth. Just how I try to handle things though...
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Just for the record, DEA Agents are Law Enforcement Officers. They aren't police or deputy sheriffs, but they are sworn officers who have powers of arrest, serving search and arrest warrants, carry guns on and off duty and getting shot at and shot. They can retire after twenty years service and being age 50 or older.

As for identifying guns, that is another kettle of fish.

I've been a federal LEO for just over twenty-seven years now. I've worked for three different agencies. I know lots more local cops and deputies and other federal types, even some Highway Patrol types and in my mis-spent youth knew some Mexican cops and Federales.

To my absolute knowledge, no agency has a serious, dedicated, comprehensive program to teach their officers about any guns other than the ones they carry. The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center at Brunswick, Georgia USED to have a one or two hour class on various weapons. I don't know if that is still extant.

Most lawmen (generic term) are not firearms enthusiasts. Many have no personally owned weapons. (More prevalent in older troops, but by no means universal even there.) If they are 'city kids', they've never been hunting. (I imagine a person from rural Alabama, Texas or Nebraska probably has.) They are trained only in whatever they are issued. Period.

If that sounds sad to anyone else... me too.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Most federal agents are not gun guys. And mis-ID of a firearm during an arrest or search is no big deal. You can only imagine how much multi-tasking is going on.

YOU know the difference between a MAC and a Kel Tec. Good for you! They don't have to know that to do their job.

I think it's a very stupid show and I spent 28 years as a DEA Agent.

I'm not a gun guy either. I can't positively identify every make of handgun or rifle out there. I can name the variant well enough, and if I don't know, it is either a pistol, revolver or rifle (not sure when it becomes a carbine).

I didn't take any special classes on weapon ID. Hunters safety course 25 years ago, and the same news, TV and movies everyone else has been subjected to.

I can accept that your average street officer can not ID a weapon, but those LEOs that have more exposure to weapons (DEA, SWAT, etc...), I would expect to be a little more knowledgeable. The Mac 10 has been around for what, 15-20 years? Kel Tec Sub 2k only a few.

I'd have accepted them calling it an assault rifle.

As for why I was watching that show, the wife had the remote. All she watches are cop shows (48 hours, Unsolved mysteries, Cold Case Files, Law & Order, CSI, Court TV, etc...). If she has a clandestine plan to bump me off for insurance money, I would hope she has watched enough to get the job done and leave no evidence or trail back to her.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links