Using a new virgin AR15 receiver to make a pistol.

This is a discussion on Using a new virgin AR15 receiver to make a pistol. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking this up today on several web sites and I noticed how there are many conflicting things and I would like to ...

Thread: Using a new virgin AR15 receiver to make a pistol.

Using a new virgin AR15 receiver to make a pistol.

I have been looking this up today on several web sites and I noticed how there are many conflicting things and I would like to know if it's true that the serial number of a new virgin receiver is what ATF actually does research on (if it was originally in a rifle configuration etc) rather than what the seller describes on the FFL transfer form, because it seems to me that there is much less possibility for misunderstanding.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

That receiver has to have been made as a "Pistol" from the factory for you to be able to use it as such. Or, you have to spend the money and get its registration changed from rifle to pistol or SBR.

The ATF doesn't care if it was a plain receiver or fully assembled as a weapon when you bought it. They care if the manufacturer registered it as a rifle or pistol when they made it.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    That receiver has to have been made as a "Pistol" from the factory for you to be able to use it as such. Or, you have to spend the money and get its registration changed from rifle to pistol or SBR.

The ATF doesn't care if it was a plain receiver or fully assembled as a weapon when you bought it. They care if the manufacturer registered it as a rifle or pistol when they made it.
    What registration? I don't know about your state, but there sure isn't one in mine. Pistols, even those modeled after rifles, are not controled under the NFA, and do not require registration or a tax stamp like an SBR. It's no different than buying any other type of pistol.

The reciever does not need to be designated as "Pistol" by the factory. All you need to do is ensure that it has never been previously built into a rifle (in other words, buy it new), and have your FFL transfer it to you as a "bare reciever".

If you do decide to build an AR pistol, I would be very careful about keeping spare shorty uppers or spare buttstocks for your rifles around. That could be contrued as constructive intent to assemble an SBR, even if you never do it (which is BS, but people still go to prison for it).

Other than that, you shouldn't have any hassle.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Bob's on target............fact is 4473's now have a check box to indicate if an item is a pistol, rifle or RECEIVER alone!

Links