Paying Attention

This is a discussion on Paying Attention within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone else been 'visited'? Re: this section of the article - seven rows up from the bottom: "One northern Warren County resident found out recently ...

Thread: Paying Attention

Paying Attention

Anyone else been 'visited'?

Re: this section of the article - seven rows up from the bottom:

"One northern Warren County resident found out recently the government is paying attention to such ammunition sales.

West said a customer of his recently stocked up on .223-caliber rounds, a caliber often used in assault-style weapons. The customer bought 1,000 rounds a few months ago through a mail order company.

Shortly after the purchase, he received a visit from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, whose interest was apparently piqued by a large-scale purchase of that caliber."

---------------------------------

Gun sales going ballistic
    Fears of regulation, crime spur sales of firearms and ammo
    By Don Lehman
    dlehman@poststar.com
    Updated: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:32 AM EDT

Gunmakers can thank a former New York senator and presidential candidate for an ongoing boom in gun sales, if you ask one local firearms vendor.

George Nemec, owner of Nemec's Sport Shop & Farm & Garden Center in Warrensburg, said gun sales at his business began to increase about two years ago, after Sen. Hillary Clinton announced her intent to run for president. People were concerned about the possible impact of a Democratic president on the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

"Handguns, shotguns, rifles -- it's every type," Nemec said. "People are worried the government is going to take their guns away, or they're going to tax them (guns and ammunition) to death."

With a Democratic president in office and economic troubles fueling fears of rising crime, guns -- and the rounds they fire -- are a hot commodity these days.

Across the country, gun dealers are reporting a big uptick in sales of both firearms and ammunition. Requests for federal background checks for prospective gun buyers have surged since last fall, with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms reporting a nearly 50 percent increase after the election of President Barack Obama.

Tom King, president of the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, said gun and ammunition sales around the country have risen in recent months.

He said many are concerned a Democratic president and Democratic-controlled Congress will change gun laws and could potentially ban certain types of firearms, like those commonly referred to as assault rifles. Democratic lawmakers are generally viewed as less friendly to gun owners than their Republican counterparts.

"We're hearing it around the country. People are concerned about losing their guns," King said. "If they buy them now, they'll be grandfathered if the laws are changed."

Locally, gun dealers are seeing a number of trends when it comes to sales and purchases of firearms and ammunition.

Most said gun sales are up, while others said they are steady. Ammunition sales have risen dramatically, they agreed.

"We're selling a lot of guns. It's been that way since November," said Kevin Zacharewicz, owner of Zack's Sport's in Round Lake. "Handgun sales are up; self-defense shotguns are up. People are worried about what's going on financially."

Zacharewicz said state government trends are also motivating sales in New York. The state Senate is now controlled by Democrats, which has many gun owners in the Empire State concerned about what gun-control laws might be pursued.

"There's a lot of concern about the government and what they're going to do," said John West, whose family runs The Crossroads Country Store & Sport Shop.

At MacGregor's Gun Shop in Queensbury, owner Scott MacGregor said he's seen a "sudden influx" of customers wanting to buy "home defense-type weapons," like shotguns.

Everyone interviewed by The Post-Star for this story agreed ammunition of all calibers has gotten tougher to find, as gun owners stock up. Prices skyrocketed in recent years as metal prices went up, which caused many gun owners to stock up in anticipation of rising ammunition prices.

There are also concerns that some larger calibers, or those used by military-type weapons, could be banned, restricted or taxed more heavily.

One northern Warren County resident found out recently the government is paying attention to such ammunition sales.

West said a customer of his recently stocked up on .223-caliber rounds, a caliber often used in assault-style weapons. The customer bought 1,000 rounds a few months ago through a mail order company.

Shortly after the purchase, he received a visit from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, whose interest was apparently piqued by a large-scale purchase of that caliber.

"His wife was home. He was at church," West said.

"People are buying a lot of ammunition in bulk these days," said Kathie Ferullo, owner of Discoveries USA, an outdoors outfitter in Warrensburg that sells guns and ammo. "For some types, we have to wait on a waiting list."

The down economy is also causing people to liquidate some of their valuable assets, including guns.

West said his business hasn't seen a big rise in gun sales, but it has seen a rise in people wishing to sell guns to his store for economic reasons. He said one man recently brought in an 80-year-old antique rifle to sell because he needed money.

"We've had guys come in with three or four guns to sell," he said.

2. Remove Ads

A 1000 rounds isn't exactly what I call a large purchase. That's a fun weekend at the gravel pit.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

that's interesting....that doesn't seem like that much to me either. I am surprised they haven't knocked on my door.

If 1K rounds attracts some attention, they'll have black helo's around my house very soon...

Stay armed...buy more ammo...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm surprised they haven't moved in with me yet
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't moved in with me yet
    You mean to tell me that you didn't see those people moving in two houses down across the street?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    1,000 is not a large purchase. When I bought my .40, I bought 1,000 rounds. I used 500 for the "break-in period" and 500 to keep on hand. That pistol and the remaining 500 rounds are long gone now. Many pistol makers recommend a 500-round break-in session. If DHS thinks that's a large purchase, God help us all. They've just put the "goober" back in gooberment.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I always buy in quantities of 1000 rounds. So far, no visits that I know of... well, none if you don't count those black helicopters!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    Well think about it.

The average government nitwit might shoot 100 rounds a year...if that much.
    To them 1000 rounds does seem like a big buy.

Not that its any of their business or anything.

Most of them would have a stroke if they knew how much that average southerner had.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The store where I buy my guns and ammo sells .223 in boxs of 2000. Or they did before everyone bought all of them. That is strange they would worry about 1000.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Y'all confirmed what I was thinking. Didn't seem like a real big purchase to me either.

What I've been wondering is who sent up the red flag? His credit card company? The mail order company?

The article doesn't say, but either way it just continues to get more sad every day.

The only reason to buy 1000 rounds of .223, 7.62x39, or .308 is because that's all they have in stock.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Me thinks there were other issues that raised some red flags with the gubmint.
    Confuse a liberal, use logic and facts.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    You mean to tell me that you didn't see those people moving in two houses down across the street?

LOL, actually a new family did just move in last week, across the street, one house down.
    Those motorcycles and "colors" could be a good disguise
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links