'Assault rifle' is a misused term -- LTE

This is a discussion on 'Assault rifle' is a misused term -- LTE within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good LTE in Roanoke Times. Horse patrol duties are mainly for show, not public safety - Roanoke.com [at bottom] 'Assault rifle' is a misused term ...

VIP Member

Good LTE in Roanoke Times.

Horse patrol duties are mainly for show, not public safety - Roanoke.com
    [at bottom]

'Assault rifle' is a misused term

Re: "There's no 'sport' in military weaponry," (March 12 letter):

The term "assault rifle" is once again demonized by someone who is anti-gun and knows very little about firearms.

What is a true assault rifle? The Germans developed the first true assault rifle during World War II, followed by the Russians with their infamous AK-47. Unlike submachine guns that fire pistol ammunition and are capable of both full and semiautomatic fire, a true assault rifle fires an intermediate cartridge somewhere between a full-scale rifle round and a pistol round and is, of course, capable of full and semiautomatic fire. These weapons cannot be purchased at gun shows or sporting goods stores.

Now, for political purposes, an assault rifle is any firearm that Congress or anti-gun folks look at and then state "that is an assault rifle." This controversy will never end. Thank God and our Founding Fathers for the Second Amendment and the NRA.

JERRY RICE
    FORMER MARINE

ROANOKE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I have an assault rifle.
    It was considered so deadly by our nation's enemies that anyone with such a deadly device was to be executed on the spot.
    This implement of death and destruction can drop an enemy officer at distance with impressive precision and accuracy.
    It fires with a flint scraping down a vertical piece of steel, raking sparks into a small puddle of black powder.
    My flint rifle was state of the art during the American Revolution.
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.
    I could add about the assault weapons I saw used frequently, back when I wore a badge: such things as fists, feet, cars (used as weapons of intentional murder), beer bottles and ball bats ... but that would be hijacking the thread ...
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    I have an assault rifle.
    It was considered so deadly by our nation's enemies that anyone with such a deadly device was to be executed on the spot.
    This implement of death and destruction can drop an enemy officer at distance with impressive precision and accuracy.
    It fires with a flint scraping down a vertical piece of steel, raking sparks into a small puddle of black powder.
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.
    I could add about the assault weapons I saw used frequently, back when I wore a badge: such things as fists, feet, cars (used as weapons of intentional murder), beer bottles and ball bats ... but that would be hijacking the thread ...
    +1
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

VIP Member
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

I've got a couple of them too.

assault weapons I saw used frequently, back when I wore a badge: such things as fists, feet, cars (used as weapons of intentional murder), beer bottles and ball bats.
    Sounds like you might have patrolled some of the areas that, back in my youth before I got my head on straight, I just might have....

OTOH never encountered a car used as weapon of intentional murder, but the rest sound rather familiar and I have some scars to prove it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    It is not unusual for any lawyer,judge,politician,Congress, or even the President of the United States to attempt to change the meaning of a word to suit their purposes and "assault" is but one of many.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

As a person who is familiar with both of these opinions, founding member of the Roanoke City Mounted Patrol, and Knowing Jerry Rice. These brought back memories. Jerry was the firearms instructor for the Roanoke City Police Dept for years. He is also mentioned in the second Death from Afar book. These books are about Snipers. I left the Department 10 yrs ago.

Links