Need some rifle info: Mauser and SKS

This is a discussion on Need some rifle info: Mauser and SKS within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I saw a for sale sign at my gun club, so I am going to go look at a couple of rifles that ...

Thread: Need some rifle info: Mauser and SKS

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Hi all,

I saw a for sale sign at my gun club, so I am going to go look at a couple of rifles that somebody is looking to sell. There's a Turkish Mauser from 1943 (asking $150) and a Yugo SKS (asking $250).

How do these prices sound? What should I look for when I exmaine them?

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Dont know anything about the mauser but i bought an sks recently and really like it for the price. Very accurate and little recoil. Also tapco makes some cool parts for it. well you can see mine in my avatar actually. There are some features i dont like about the gun but for the price its better then buying a more expensive rifle.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

VIP Member
    The Mauser seems a little high, but the SKS should be OK.

I bought a Turkish Mauser years ago. If it was built in 1943 you should be Okay, but if it is older, you want to be sure it is chambered for the modern 8mm. Check the barrel for rust and pits. I searched through 4 or 5 before I found one with a good barrel. Feel the action cycle. Some grit might be sand in the action, but it's hard to tell without breaking it down.

SKS should be fine. Again, check the barrel for rust and pits. The old Chinese ammo had corrosive primers that is bad for them. Otherwise they are pretty much indestructible.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Buy the SKS. I would. The prices arent gonna get better any time soon.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Its a good price. I think mine was marked at 250$ when it was stock. With the parts on it and ammo i was out 450$
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

VIP Member
    Avoid the turkish mauser and go for the SKS.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I don't know about the price for the SKS but the mauser price seems to be in line with what they're asking for them these days.

I'd check both very carefully. Depending on what your shooting needs are, the SKS is probably the better buy if you want a military rifle with a higher ammo capacity.

The Turk mausers are fine weapons. Be aware that the rifle is most likey a "large ring" receiver which is machined for "small ring" barrel threading. This makes it hard to rebarrel with a "take off" barrel if it needs one down the road.

Left alone both the Turk and the SKS will continue to appreciate in value. I have a Turk on consignment at a shop for sale at the moment (at a give away price compared to most asking prices) but it is not a prime specimen so I can't ask top $ for it. (and no, this IS NOT a stealth "for sale" ad.)

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Thank you, gentlemen. Good info. I am also assuredly going to get the SKS for myself if it is in decent shape, and the present owner was more than willing to let me shoot it before deciding.

As for the Mauser (from the same guy), I am thinking about it as a birthday gift for my brother. I know he would appreciate it as a historical specimen, and I doubt it would ever be shot much, but of course it will be shot at least some. So, again, it sounds like if it is shootable shape and the pics I saw were accurate representations, I will probably end up getting both.

One of these days I will know enough about longarms, but right now I am more or less exclusively a pistol guy. Good thing I have a place like this to fill in the gaps!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd buy them both.You're missing a couple that still can be purchased cheap
    Russian Mosin-Nagant and British 303. I've seen Mosin go for as cheap as $65
    and they are going for bit over a 100 bucks right now.The best mosins are the Finnish variant.

Buy both! You won't be sorry.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links