Is there information around here on sizes?

This is a discussion on Is there information around here on sizes? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Full size 1911 (5" barrel) with thin grips, flat main spring housing, and short trigger. Sounds like this should fit you like a glove. They ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there information around here on sizes?

Full size 1911 (5" barrel) with thin grips, flat main spring housing, and short trigger. Sounds like this should fit you like a glove. They are avaliable in .45 ACP, .40S&W, and in 9mm
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturallia View Post
    I have very small hands. I held revolvers at the store and none of them felt right in my hands, so I think I want a semi-automatic. My husband has a .380 Bersa and a 9mm ? (I forget) and the .380 is huge in my hand yet the 9mm, which is longer and bigger, I'm able to get a better grip on it, but my finger cannot reach the trigger guard and my fingernail rests at the trigger itself.

At the gun store, the gun that felt the most comfortable in my hands was a 1911, I think that's the name? The salesman told me that the stock/grips can come even smaller on 1911s.

Should I go ahead and look into buying myself a 1911?

Or are there other gun models I may want to try to hold first to see if i can get an easier grip on them than the 1911.

I don't mind if the barrel is long and big, it's just the stock/grip that I need to be able to wrap my hands around. It's also a bonus if the slide's easy to do. I couldn't get the .380 slide to budge and I can get my husband's 9mm slide to open using both hands by pushing on the bottom while pulling on the top. The 1911 at the store, i was able to easily slide it.

I do have weak hands from carpal tunnel syndrome so i'm unable to squeeze things with a lot of strength, but I have enough strength to hold onto things. Everyone says i should just get a .22 but that defies the point, which is to stop the other person so i can protect my children and myself.

Thanks for any feedback you may have. There are a lot of gun stores around here, so I'm sure that whatever gun you suggest I go try holding in my hand, that i will be able to find one around here to handle.
    Which revolvers did you try?
    Have you looked at a Smith & Wesson J-frame, like the Ladysmith?
    I too, am a woman with small, but strong hands and my S&W model 36(basically and older version of the Ladysmith) actually feels "small" in my hands, somewhat smaller than my Kimber(a 1911 series) and considerably smaller than my GP100.
    There are many aftermarket companies that make grips or stock, that can be tailored to fit your hands.
    If you have a gunshop/range nearby that rents guns, you may want to compare a few and see what feels right in your hand and what you feel comfortable shooting.
    Captain Crunch hit the nail on the head, about approaching other people. If you lived in the Detroit area, I'd be more than glad to let you try mine, I'm always glad to see other ladies at the range and interested in being able to protect themselves.
    Keep us posted on what you find that you like best, and Welcome
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I would find a range where you can rent different handguns and try as many as I could before I committed on any single platform to buy.

I'd try revolvers as well. Ruger makes a very nice small revolver (SP101) in .357 magnum. They also make them in .38 special as well as other calibers. I would recommend the .357 as you can shoot either .357 or .38 special through it and the caliber is fine for self defense.

S&W revolvers are wonderful as well. Pricey, but wonderful. My only concern about a S&W revolver would be if I had to use it I'd lose it while it was in the impound. And when I got it back it could be corroded beyond recovery. With the Ruger I wouldn't be as concerned about that and I'd just replace it.

My wife has Carpal as well as Cubital tunnel in both arms. She has long slim hands and prefers her S&W 3913LS. Lately she's been eyeing my 6906 and making comments about how she'd like to have more magazine capacity. (Note to wifey: AIN'T gonna happen - you have yours, this one is mine.)

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of women tend to like slim at first but as things progress they start to prefer a fatter grip. I think this is because a lot of women believe that the slimmer grip gives them the extra grip to hang on to the firearm. A lot of women seem to be afraid that they are going to let go during recoil. Not true, but the belief is there and it appears to manifest in a desire for small.

What that means is that you don't have to go for a lightweight mousegun just because you're female. Don't overcompensate the other way either. 3-4 inch long barrels are fine for most self defense work. I also absolutely recommend that you stay AWAY from the scandium lightweight revolvers.

The biggest thing to look for is when you find the one that points for you like a laser, shoot it until you know that you like it then buy it. Then take it out and run it until you KNOW what it will do for you.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    So it's not bad etiquette to ask random people at the range "Hey, can I try your gun?" I always thought that was as bad as asking some other man if I could try his cane or his pipe.
    Nah. Not at my range at least. We do it all the time. I love to fire new guns (as most people do) and try to be accommodating with what I own as well.

I do however, keep a hawk eye on you to make sure you are following good safety rules while handling my firearm (liability issues)

I handled a few guns at a gun shop in Osage Beach and the man was very nice. He did ask me why I want a gun and if I just wanted one for fun to get a .22 and when I explained I have a man who's been following me and broke in my house and he laughed at me when I maced him. He then handed me a LadySmith. Eh, it felt awkward in my hands. So he handed me a Smith and Wesson MP and it felt right in my hands, but a little short and he said there are the same guns with a longer barrel. I'm looking around for somebody who may have a SW MP for me to try shooting sometime. The other gun that I liked in my hands was a Sig P6? I liked the feel of it in my hand, but again, I would have to fire it before deciding. I'm also asking around about that one.

I'm not too impressed with the gun stores around here, they treat me like some idiot or something. Sure, I'm a newbie, but I learn fast.

I handled a few guns at a gun shop in Osage Beach and the man was very nice. He did ask me why I want a gun and if I just wanted one for fun to get a .22 and when I explained I have a man who's been following me and broke in my house and he laughed at me when I maced him. He then handed me a LadySmith. Eh, it felt awkward in my hands. So he handed me a Smith and Wesson MP and it felt right in my hands, but a little short and he said there are the same guns with a longer barrel. I'm looking around for somebody who may have a SW MP for me to try shooting sometime. The other gun that I liked in my hands was a Sig P6? I liked the feel of it in my hand, but again, I would have to fire it before deciding. I'm also asking around about that one.

I'm not too impressed with the gun stores around here, they treat me like some idiot or something. Sure, I'm a newbie, but I learn fast.
    Naturallia,

My daughter, who is fairly small just got her birthday present yesterday--a Smith & Wesson M&P compact in 9mm. It has interchangeable backstraps, of which the small fits her hands best.
    Hers is the compact, so both the grip and barrel are somewhat shorter than the full-size M&P. But, it is also much easier for her to conceal.

Try one out. Also some other good suggestions already given.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links