Beginner Revolver - Page 2

Beginner Revolver

This is a discussion on Beginner Revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Laxer So i think i have decided- a 6" gp-100! So to keep it all under 500 im gonna look for one ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Revolver

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    So i think i have decided- a 6" gp-100!

So to keep it all under 500 im gonna look for one used and then use the rest to get a holster and some ammo. Is this a good idea and what to on the price expect for a used one?
    It depends a lot on the demand in your area. I'm just outside of Detroit nad picked up mine in late December for $400.00. It was very gently used, and well cared for, what I would call a 90+ % gun, and well worth the price.
    I hope you find a "new friend" soon, they are great guns.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I am new to revolver shooting and am looking for a recommendation for a quality wheelgun. I would prefer for it to be about in the $500 range and would not mind buying used. I am looking for something in 357 mag. It will be used mainly for my woods/range gun.

Thanks

I grew up with S&W Revolvers, but have become a fan of Ruger in the past three or so years.

I find the Ruger GP100 to be built "hell for stout" and one that I would expect to be the most durable of all the common brands out there. The reason that I went to Ruger was because of the "Hillary Hole" but I certainly wouldn't turn down a Used "Pre-Lock" L or N Frame either. The reason I would choose the L or N Frame over the more common K Frame is for durability reasons if you intend to do a lot of shooting with .357 Magnum loads.

Biker

Taurus model 85 UL works for me.

I too would recommend a Ruger also, the SP101 for carry or the GP100 for general use.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    s&w model 65 mine is a 65-2 with a 4" barrel!! picked it up in great condition for $350!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

The Ruger SP101 good revolver and Smith & Wesson Model 686 4" barrell .357 mag, model 619 and 620 are also chambered for the .357 mag. I love S&W revolvers. As a beginner you want to stay away from snubbies. The recoil on those can be uncomfortable for the beginner. I have one and it is not my favorite to shoot on a regular basis. As a pocket SD gun it is great but not as a target/home defense gun that you would want to shoot often.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    The Ruger SP101 good revolver and Smith & Wesson Model 686 4" barrell .357 mag, model 619 and 620 are also chambered for the .357 mag. I love S&W revolvers. As a beginner you want to stay away from snubbies. The recoil on those can be uncomfortable for the beginner. I have one and it is not my favorite to shoot on a regular basis. As a pocket SD gun it is great but not as a target/home defense gun that you would want to shoot often.
    For some, yes, for others?
    I love my model 36 snubbie and can actually shot it more accuratly than my Kimber Pro Carry II .
    I don't find the recoil of the snubbie or the GP100 uncomfortable at all. I have developed a bad habit with the Kimber, of anticipating recoil and pulling my shots low and right, no so with the snubbie.
    I started shooting at the ripe old of 12 and my model 36 is the first revolver I ever fired, back in the days that Dad owned it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My two favorite .357's are a Sp101 and a Model 66 2.5" barrel Smith and Wesson. Can't go wrong w/either one. Both could be had for under 500.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Smith and Wesson 686!!
    That would be my first choice, Ruger GP-100 a very close second.
    Each one of these will serve you well for a lifetime.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Get yourself a nice 4" barrel model 19, or pre lock model 66. It doesn't get any better than those in a revolver, IMHO of course. Regards 18DAI.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Smith and Wesson 686!!

Agreed, was my first revo. Solid gun, quite accurate.

I'd recommend a Colt Trooper MkIII or newer or a S&W 686. Both are quality revolvers that you will not outgrow. They will always be capable of more accuracy than the operator. I used a lightly modified Trooper back in the 70's for police combat shoots and it never left me wanting more.Hard to argue with 248 to 250 out of a possible 250 score time after time.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I think you're going to have a hard time finding a good quality used revolver period. IF you do, I think you're going to be surprised at the price. Right now, demand for quality used guns (especially the good popular models) is at an all time high. You may find a better deal (comparatively speaking) just buying new.

I think the GP100's and S&W 686's are simply outstanding lifetime revolvers. For concealed carry (if you ever go that route) the Ruger SP101 and any of the S&W J Frames are great.

I too think the Rossi is an undervalued lower end offering that would make a fine woods/range gun.

1943 - 2009
    I am looking for something in 357 mag. It will be used mainly for my woods/range gun.

Thanks
    A single action revolver, such as the Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum, is a good choice for this application. Used models are not hard to find and are reasonably priced.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

i would look for a smith and wesson first. then ruger, then charter arms, then so on.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links