Beginner Revolver

This is a discussion on Beginner Revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am new to revolver shooting and am looking for a recommendation for a quality wheelgun. I would prefer for it to be about in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Revolver

Beginner Revolver

I am new to revolver shooting and am looking for a recommendation for a quality wheelgun. I would prefer for it to be about in the $500 range and would not mind buying used. I am looking for something in 357 mag. It will be used mainly for my woods/range gun.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Academy Sports here in Texas was running SS Rossi .357 for $299 recently. I hear Rossi's are under rated and are at par with Taurus.

Smith and Wesson...snubbie of some type in .38!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thumbs up Good call

Yea...good call on a .357mag revolver...as you can shoot .38's for practice and .357 when you need the power, such as hunting.

My first two handguns were both S&W .357magnums...a new Model 19 Combat Magnum with a 6" barrel and used Model 13 with a 3" barrel. Still have both...
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

VIP Member
    Smith and Wesson 686!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Ruger SP101 or GP100, Strong, high quality firearm. Hard to beat a Ruger.

Thanks guys!

I was thinking maybe about a used colt trooper, does anyone know anything about these?

And i have been looking at the rugers, they look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    I am new to revolver shooting and am looking for a recommendation for a quality wheelgun. I would prefer for it to be about in the $500 range and would not mind buying used. I am looking for something in 357 mag. It will be used mainly for my woods/range gun.

Thanks
    S&W 686/586 or Ruger GP-100; I have both, and, honestly, they are both great pistols. You will not go wrong with either one.

I used to have a Taurus Tracker in .357...and, while it wasn't a bad shooter...the Ruger or Smith are much better choices.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Ruger Speed or Security Six
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Exclamation you asked...

In 1953 Colt introduced two new DA revolvers, the premium Model 357 and the "Budget" Trooper.

The Model 357 was intended to be Colt's premium holster gun, and the Trooper was to be for sales to police and civilians wanting a similar but cheaper gun.

From 1953 to 1961 the Trooper and Model 357 were separate guns, different in caliber and in the firing pin system.
    The Python was basically a much higher grade Model 357.

In 1961 the .38 Special Trooper with the hammer mounted firing pin was discontinued, the 357 was simply re-named as the Trooper, and it was offered in both calibers.

In 1968-69 the old style Trooper was discontinued and replaced by a totally new design; the Trooper Mark III.

In 1983 the Trooper Mark III was replaced by a slightly modified Trooper Mark V.

In 1985 the Trooper Mark V was replaced by the same design with a new barrel and made of stainless steel as the King Cobra.

Not that many .22 Troopers were produced and many shown below were produced as Officers Models. Itís my estimation that less than 3,000 were produced in the .22 caliber Trooper.
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

ruger GP100 would be a good choice - built like a tank. the SP101 is probably too small to hunt with since you said woods gun (but you could do it), but it is about the same overall size as a G19/23 with only 5 shots. Remember to shoot a cylinder full of 357's after the 38's to "clear it out". Get what feels best in your hand. I'd recommend a 6" barrel if you're not going to carry it.

+1for the SP101 great gun

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    For hunting or defense of large animals a 6" barrel is a good way to go. Also great for target shooting for a begginner, longer barrels are generally easier to shoot from the standpoint of recoil.
    I own a Rufer GP100 6" stainless and love it.
    I'd like to get a S&W 686 with a 3 in barrel for carry.
    Both are great guns and will do what you have in mind, with the only major difference is the 686 does hold 7 rounds compared the the 6 rounds in the Ruger.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

So i think i have decided- a 6" gp-100!

So to keep it all under 500 im gonna look for one used and then use the rest to get a holster and some ammo. Is this a good idea and what to on the price expect for a used one?

Try whatever you're considering first, before you set the first shekel on the counter.
    My thumbs don't bend at the middle joint (juvenile arthritis) and are knobbed up terribly.
    The Colt is more squared-off where that thumb joint contacts the back of the grip frame.
    To my particular paws, firing the Colt with anything but a butter soft wad cutter was like whacking your shin bone on the coffee table after dark.
    I found Ruger much more comfortable for my individual condition.
    Had I normal thumb joints I would still have that Colt. Well built, tight, phenomenally accurate! -- I traded it to my best friend and ten years later he still ribbed me about getting the better of the deal!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links