Defensive Carry banner

Beginner Revolver

4K views 34 replies 29 participants last post by  mcp1810 
#1 ·
I am new to revolver shooting and am looking for a recommendation for a quality wheelgun. I would prefer for it to be about in the $500 range and would not mind buying used. I am looking for something in 357 mag. It will be used mainly for my woods/range gun.

Thanks

#4 ·
Good call

Yea...good call on a .357mag revolver...as you can shoot .38's for practice and .357 when you need the power, such as hunting.

My first two handguns were both S&W .357magnums...a new Model 19 Combat Magnum with a 6" barrel and used Model 13 with a 3" barrel. Still have both...

#7 ·
Thanks guys!

I was thinking maybe about a used colt trooper, does anyone know anything about these?

And i have been looking at the rugers, they look really nice.

#8 ·
S&W 686/586 or Ruger GP-100; I have both, and, honestly, they are both great pistols. You will not go wrong with either one.

I used to have a Taurus Tracker in .357...and, while it wasn't a bad shooter...the Ruger or Smith are much better choices.

#10 ·
you asked...

In 1953 Colt introduced two new DA revolvers, the premium Model 357 and the "Budget" Trooper.

The Model 357 was intended to be Colt's premium holster gun, and the Trooper was to be for sales to police and civilians wanting a similar but cheaper gun.

From 1953 to 1961 the Trooper and Model 357 were separate guns, different in caliber and in the firing pin system.
The Python was basically a much higher grade Model 357.

In 1961 the .38 Special Trooper with the hammer mounted firing pin was discontinued, the 357 was simply re-named as the Trooper, and it was offered in both calibers.

In 1968-69 the old style Trooper was discontinued and replaced by a totally new design; the Trooper Mark III.

In 1983 the Trooper Mark III was replaced by a slightly modified Trooper Mark V.

In 1985 the Trooper Mark V was replaced by the same design with a new barrel and made of stainless steel as the King Cobra.

Not that many .22 Troopers were produced and many shown below were produced as Officers Models. It’s my estimation that less than 3,000 were produced in the .22 caliber Trooper.

#11 ·
ruger GP100 would be a good choice - built like a tank. the SP101 is probably too small to hunt with since you said woods gun (but you could do it), but it is about the same overall size as a G19/23 with only 5 shots. Remember to shoot a cylinder full of 357's after the 38's to "clear it out". Get what feels best in your hand. I'd recommend a 6" barrel if you're not going to carry it.

#13 ·
For hunting or defense of large animals a 6" barrel is a good way to go. Also great for target shooting for a begginner, longer barrels are generally easier to shoot from the standpoint of recoil.
I own a Rufer GP100 6" stainless and love it.
I'd like to get a S&W 686 with a 3 in barrel for carry.
Both are great guns and will do what you have in mind, with the only major difference is the 686 does hold 7 rounds compared the the 6 rounds in the Ruger.

#14 ·
So i think i have decided- a 6" gp-100!

So to keep it all under 500 im gonna look for one used and then use the rest to get a holster and some ammo. Is this a good idea and what to on the price expect for a used one?

#16 ·
It depends a lot on the demand in your area. I'm just outside of Detroit nad picked up mine in late December for $400.00. It was very gently used, and well cared for, what I would call a 90+ % gun, and well worth the price.
I hope you find a "new friend" soon, they are great guns.:smile:

#15 ·
Try whatever you're considering first, before you set the first shekel on the counter.
My thumbs don't bend at the middle joint (juvenile arthritis) and are knobbed up terribly.
The Colt is more squared-off where that thumb joint contacts the back of the grip frame.
To my particular paws, firing the Colt with anything but a butter soft wad cutter was like whacking your shin bone on the coffee table after dark.
I found Ruger much more comfortable for my individual condition.
Had I normal thumb joints I would still have that Colt. Well built, tight, phenomenally accurate! -- I traded it to my best friend and ten years later he still ribbed me about getting the better of the deal!

#17 ·
I grew up with S&W Revolvers, but have become a fan of Ruger in the past three or so years.

I find the Ruger GP100 to be built "hell for stout" and one that I would expect to be the most durable of all the common brands out there. The reason that I went to Ruger was because of the "Hillary Hole" but I certainly wouldn't turn down a Used "Pre-Lock" L or N Frame either. The reason I would choose the L or N Frame over the more common K Frame is for durability reasons if you intend to do a lot of shooting with .357 Magnum loads.

Biker

#21 ·
The Ruger SP101 good revolver and Smith & Wesson Model 686 4" barrell .357 mag, model 619 and 620 are also chambered for the .357 mag. I love S&W revolvers. As a beginner you want to stay away from snubbies. The recoil on those can be uncomfortable for the beginner. I have one and it is not my favorite to shoot on a regular basis. As a pocket SD gun it is great but not as a target/home defense gun that you would want to shoot often.

#22 ·
For some, yes, for others?
I love my model 36 snubbie and can actually shot it more accuratly than my Kimber Pro Carry II .
I don't find the recoil of the snubbie or the GP100 uncomfortable at all. I have developed a bad habit with the Kimber, of anticipating recoil and pulling my shots low and right, no so with the snubbie.
I started shooting at the ripe old of 12 and my model 36 is the first revolver I ever fired, back in the days that Dad owned it.

#23 ·
My two favorite .357's are a Sp101 and a Model 66 2.5" barrel Smith and Wesson. Can't go wrong w/either one. Both could be had for under 500.

#27 ·
I'd recommend a Colt Trooper MkIII or newer or a S&W 686. Both are quality revolvers that you will not outgrow. They will always be capable of more accuracy than the operator. I used a lightly modified Trooper back in the 70's for police combat shoots and it never left me wanting more.Hard to argue with 248 to 250 out of a possible 250 score time after time.

#28 ·
I think you're going to have a hard time finding a good quality used revolver period. IF you do, I think you're going to be surprised at the price. Right now, demand for quality used guns (especially the good popular models) is at an all time high. You may find a better deal (comparatively speaking) just buying new.

I think the GP100's and S&W 686's are simply outstanding lifetime revolvers. For concealed carry (if you ever go that route) the Ruger SP101 and any of the S&W J Frames are great.

I too think the Rossi is an undervalued lower end offering that would make a fine woods/range gun.

#29 ·
I am looking for something in 357 mag. It will be used mainly for my woods/range gun.

Thanks
A single action revolver, such as the Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum, is a good choice for this application. Used models are not hard to find and are reasonably priced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.