Storing firearms

Storing firearms

This is a discussion on Storing firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have several guns that have been handed down to me from my great-grandfather. All of them function flawlessly and I've used them for both ...

Thread: Storing firearms

Storing firearms

I have several guns that have been handed down to me from my great-grandfather. All of them function flawlessly and I've used them for both hunting and target. However, as I am learning more about guns I am beginning to understand their value and want to protect them properly (and not use them as much). I am in the process of saving for a good safe but I'm wondering what other steps I can take to protect them from moisture and keep them in their current condition. Is there a good type of oil or grease that will protect them during storage and be relatively easy to remove if need be? Any tips would be great. Thanks

Shooter's Choice 'Rust Prevent' can be applied for short or long term storage, and in my opinion, the product is what it claims to be and does an excellent job for long term. Most of my storage is short term, and I'm liking the Gunzilla for that. Shooter's Choice 'Rust Prevent' actually leaves a film in varying thickness according to application. You'll get a lot of replies I'm sure....you'll just have to trust me, or go with your instincts. I've been doing this stuff for a long time.....maybe even before some of the forum members here were even born.

Administrator

Thumbs up These Work. Nothing Better.

My personal favorite. I clean all of my dirty guns at one time because my Wife is super sensitive to all cleaning materials and solvents.

Also, if I'm shooting one week and I know that I'll be shooting the very same firearms a few weeks later - I store them dirty with a few vapor tabs.

I have never had a gun show even a minute speck of rust or corrosion.

Available From Brownell's.
    Even if you cannot clean a dirty gun right away.
    Place it in a Zip-Loc Bag with a couple of Vapor tabs and it cannot rust or corrode.

Put them in a Zip Loc Bag - pop in a couple of Rust Blox Tabs - You're Done for one year. One year later...pop in a couple more.

RUST-BLOX VAPOR TABS

Mfr: BROWNELLS

Stop Rust Before It Starts

Each “Blox” protects up to 300 cubic inches of air-tight space with time-released, corrosion-inhibiting vapors for at least one year. Spread several through tool chest, tackle box, gun cabinet.

SPECS: ¾" (19.0mm) squares. Packed in 12, 50 or 100.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My personal favorite. I clean all of my dirty guns at one time because my Wife is super sensitive to all cleaning materials and solvents.

Also, if I'm shooting one week and I know that I'll be shooting the very same firearms a few weeks later - I store them dirty with a few vapor tabs.

I have never had a gun show even a minute speck of rust or corrosion.

Available From Brownell's.
    Even if you cannot clean a dirty gun right away.
    Place it in a Zip-Loc Bag with a couple of Vapor tabs and it cannot rust or corrode.

Put them in a Zip Loc Bag - pop in a couple of Rust Blox Tabs - You're Done for one year. One year later...pop in a couple more.

RUST-BLOX VAPOR TABS

Mfr: BROWNELLS

Stop Rust Before It Starts

Each “Blox” protects up to 300 cubic inches of air-tight space with time-released, corrosion-inhibiting vapors for at least one year. Spread several through tool chest, tackle box, gun cabinet.

SPECS: ¾" (19.0mm) squares. Packed in 12, 50 or 100.
    okshooter, my wife is very sensitive also, what kind of solvents and gun oil do you use to clean your weapons?
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Sponsored Links