Abbreviation Thread

This is a discussion on Abbreviation Thread within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some one let me know if we already have one of these. Just wanted to compile all of the crazy abbreviations we use that junior ...

Thread: Abbreviation Thread

Abbreviation Thread

Some one let me know if we already have one of these.

Just wanted to compile all of the crazy abbreviations we use that junior members (like myself) might not know.

I will start.

FMJ = Full metal Jacket - a projectile that is completely covered in a copper "jacket" when seated in the cartridge.

TMJ = Total Metal Jacket - a projectile that is completely covered in a copper jacket, including the rear end that is not covered in FMJ rounds

JHP = Jacketed Hollow Point - A projectile with a hollow point designed to expand inside a target creating more soft tissue damage and less chance of over penetration. Housed in a metalic jacket similar to a FMJ.

GDHP = Gold Dot Hollow Point - a specially designed JHP made my Speer ammunition company.

DAO = Double Action Only - Any gun in which the motion of the trigger moving to the rear both cocks and releases the firing mechanism.

SAO = Single Action Only - Any gun in which the firing mechanism must fe manually cocked by the operator.

DA/SA = Double Action/Single Action - Any gun in which the first pull of the trigger is a double action shot and follow on shots are single action. Can also be manually cocked.

DAK = Double Action Kellerman - SIG Sauer's new DAO pistol, named after the designer.

ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol - designation for certain rounds, usually the .45 ACP made famous by the Colt Model 1911.

GAP = Glock Automatic Pistol - designation for the .45 caliber round designed by Glock for their .45 caliber pistols.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

2. Remove Ads

Added:
    2-A or 2A = Second Amendment - A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer - Any peace officer like police, sheriff, etc.

What the guy below me says.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

1943 - 2009
    From "Forum Help & Extras" in the blue navigation bar at the top of the main page:

Defensive Carry - Acronyms

Ammunition - Acronyms and Features

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Cool!, Thanks.

Links