Fussy Wife ? The search for perfect gun continues

This is a discussion on Fussy Wife ? The search for perfect gun continues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took the wifey out to the range last night to try out the new G19. Basically in a nut shell we have 4 guns and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fussy Wife ? The search for perfect gun continues

Fussy Wife ? The search for perfect gun continues

Took the wifey out to the range last night to try out the new G19. Basically in a nut shell we have 4 guns and she complains about all of them, nothing seems to suit her.

Para 1911 with Pearce Grips
    - too heavy, cant engage slide release

Glock 19 with extended slide release
    - too light, too much felt recoil

Taurus PT99 with Pachmyer Signature Grips
    - good weight, but grips to wide cant reach mag release, too loud

S&W Model 41
    - too heavy

S&W Sigma SW9VE (borrowed)
    - too light, cant release slide, cant rack slide, trigger too heavy

Personally I think she needs to man up a bit, the Glock was close except for the weight thing mabey adding some extra weight to the glock 19 somehow will make it the perfect fit for her ?

Most important features shes looking for

1) Good weight 850-950 grams unloaded
    2) Easy to reach and engage slide + mag release
    3) Easy to rack slide
    4) 6 pound trigger pull or less.

Any suggestions on what the next 9mm pistol should be ? and which one would you sell above to fund it,

and no Im not allowed to have 5 :(

** bear in mind the SW9VE was borrowed (I dont own one)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

2. Remove Ads

Are the pachmyer grips wider/fatter than the original grips that came on the PT99? If so swap back to the original grips.

If she likes everything on the G19 except for the weight or recoil, have her try out a G17 and see if it is any better for her. Yuck, I just recommended a Glock to someone, lol.

Keep trying till she finds something that she likes. If she doesn't like to shoot it, it probably will be much harder to keep her interested.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I feel your pain. My fiance' has failed to fall in love with any one gun either. They are all just 'ok'. Loves to shoot but hasn't been able to pick one that she wants for herself.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

JD
    Administrator
    I'd give the HK P30 a try, axe the Taurus.

If my wife is in any way indicative of what a woman wants in a gun then semi autos don't seem to be the route to go. She tryed several and could not find one that she was happy with. When she started looking at revolvers most of her complaints went away. She now has four revolvers (and yes she picked every one out on her own) and has pretty much settled on her Taurus 85 ultralight as her EDC that she carries IWB in a Galco at 1:00 which seems weird to me but it works for her.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

tungsten guide rod and heavy/brass grip plug for the glock

Don't be the expert. Make her the person responsible for choosing a firearm because she has to protect you. It is very empowering, and speaking as a husband, it is good to have an equal in the household concerning household defense. She now a little jealous when I head to the range (because she has some girl fluff planned with her friends). Sometimes she makes me go on Sundays because I went on a Saturday (I just like Saturdays as a shooting day).

My wife bought a P99C 9mm. I sometimes forget it is even in the house. When I talk about the number of guns I have bought from a certain shop, I never count it, and she reminds me that I also bought hers there (followed by my comment that I would never have bought that gun, it was her choice). It is her responsibility. It is her gun. Now to be honest, I wish she would purchased a Glock, but the pinky extender on a 9mm sub-compact pinched her finger, and she was done with Glocks.

Just a few days ago, she commented, it was the first time in 10 year marriage, that I took such a limited role in a decision she made. I'm no ogre, but the norm is if you ask my opinion, you will get details.

The only thing I demanded was that she purchase her own firearm for SD, as long as she could control the firearm, and I guess I did push .38 Spl or 9mm minimum.

She had partially offered to just use one of mine. We went to the range, and she complained. Then I had to do one of the top ten smartest things I've done in my marrage. I told her while I think each of us should be familiar with the firearms in the house, she should rely and maintain her own firearms, for not only her own defense, but also mine. I traveled with her to the shops, was in the back-ground when she shot, pointed out different firearms, etc. Very limited.

She went from uncertainty about the need to a CPL permit holder and range partner. Maybe she does shoot low and to the left by the end of range time, but she can get pump 10 rounds of 9mm +P+ on target very quick now. She suggested we take a vacation to a shooting class together. I don't know if you can tell, but I not as much proud of her as I am myself. I really handled it the right way (at least for us) and while we have a good marrage, I just know this strengthened it.

All I can tell you, is let her make the decision, and don't try to push minor lessons (other than safety) you have learned. For example, I knew my wife would have difficulty CC a P99C. I felt the Kahr or PPS would have been better. I let her know once, and that was it.

Now we are looking at a Ruger or Kel-Tec .380. I believe female clothing tends to be a little less CC friendly, but I think for CC, the .380s offer options (better something than nothing).

So in the end, one gun (as is so often the case) was not the solution. I feel good that my wife learned that leason on her own, and it is good that she has a 9mm +P as a home SD firearm (as I think a .380 would be lacking in that role).

Good luck.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I feel your pain brother. Fussy wife? Look.......I won't even attempt to generalize women in any way, but...........
    Personally I think she needs to man up a bit, the Glock was close except for the weight thing maybe adding some extra weight to the glock 19 somehow will make it the perfect fit for her ?
    IMO...you're headed down that path already, because..........
    That could change on a weekly basis you know.
    Sounds to me like all the pistols are yours even when you say "we have 4 guns". Maybe she would be happy with something she picks out at the gun shop? A revolver perhaps. Something she could call her own. Not something that you like and you want her to like as well.

She could carry a bunch of rubber bands in her pocket. I think that falls under a <6lb trigger pull.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Her Perfect Gun

Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post

1) Good weight 850-950 grams unloaded
    2) Easy to reach and engage slide + mag release
    3) Easy to rack slide
    4) 6 pound trigger pull or less.
    Has she considered a Glock 26? I'm not sure of the weight but it's not very heavy at all. The slide is fairly easy to reach & engage, it has a raised magazine release that easily engages and according to the owner's manual it has a 5.5 pound trigger pull.

I love my G26 so maybe she'll like it too! Just a thought.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

G26 not legal here in NZ as its sub compact. G19 about the smallest legal auto you can get.

Been to gun stores and tried

M&P9, Glock 17, Beretta 90-2 and 92, shes not a fan of revolvers.

the Pt99 even with standard grips is still too wide for her to reach mag release.

1911 single stack hasnt been tried yet.
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Defintley look into revolvers. I let my wife look at and shoot many semi autos and like yours they were all "ok". Then she saw a taurus airlite and just because it had pink grips she wanted to look at it. Well aside from thye pink grips which i didnt like but hey, it her gun right? She just loved the simplicity, size and weight of it. So now we are in the market for a snubby.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm not a fussy wife, I like guns, big ones, little ones, medium ones, but I have 2 favorties out of the 6 that we own.
    The both have wheels. Have her check out a revolver, me thinks that might just be her gun
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The micro-mits on my girlfriend couldn't grasp an autoloader so she opted for a S&W 642 and she loves it. She only shoots standard pressure rounds (WWB JHP's) and the recoil is not uncomfortable for her over the course of a range session.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heylin View Post
    shes not a fan of revolvers.
    But is she aware of 'tap, rack, bang' drills yet? Just asking.

Hard to tell from your post if she's a regular and confident shooter. For most people who are not, I usually try to recommend a revolver for a first gun because of the simplicity. If it doesn't go off, you pull the trigger again, no 'tap, rack, bang' drills while rolling in the dirt for cover.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links