For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable?

This is a discussion on For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The only limit on rounds in the magazine should be set by the individual shooter, not by the state/federal government. If you feel comfortable only ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable?

VIP Member
    The only limit on rounds in the magazine should be set by the individual shooter, not by the state/federal government. If you feel comfortable only carrying with 10 rounds in a magazine that is fine for you. It should have no bearing on how many rounds I carry or your neighbor might carry.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Magazine size for concealed carry becomes unreasonable when the physical dimensions prohibit it from being concealed.

This will of course vary depending on the weapon, person carrying, and method of concealment.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I see no point in limiting the amount of rounds one can have in a magazine, especially since I can carry all the spare mags I want to.
    This country needs to get rid of this entire concept of "limiting" things for LEGAL gun owners, that have nothing to do with public safety over-all.
    To those who continue to want to limit and control my guns and ammo, I say, "Bite me!"

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I think a limit of a 300 round mag is enough for my XD40SC.
    more then that is just excesive.
    I tried this once. But 300 rounds of 45 is a tad heavy. Had trouble keeping my pants up. In one embarrassing incident I was speaking to a rather fetching young lady when...

Oh never mind.

Oh, and I forgot to mention last night that I like the rest am against a magazine capacity limitation.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I tried this once. But 300 rounds of 45 is a tad heavy. Had trouble keeping my pants up. In one embarrassing incident I was speaking to a rather fetching young lady when...

Oh never mind.

I'll send you the plans for my tripod. it makes suporting the mag much easier.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    I think you should be limited to a certain number of rounds.........the amount you can conceal on your body.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

No limits....period.

Not everyone carries for protection from the boogeyman. Some of us use our cc gun as a companion in the woods/desert/insert desolate place here...to make sure we get back OK and intact.

....and for the boogeyman.

You should alway be able to have as much ammo as you want to carry.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

VIP Member
    IMO being "in the woods/desert/insert desolate place here" is different than the norm for most of us. I agree that there should be no limits, except during CC. Concealed means concealed, therefore, you should only be able to pack what you can keep concealed.

I agree that for OC it's different, also for in the woods.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If I really wanted to I could carry the 33 round magazine I have for my G19, but it would be very hard to conceal unless I was wearing it in a shoulder rig with a long loose fitting button up shirt. I'm fine with the standard 15 round magazine and two spares though.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Moderator
    Why on earth would anyone want to limit magazine capacity?

In a fight you want all you can get, not less.

Anyone that thinks otherwise has either never been in a fight or they are a fool.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    IMO being "in the woods/desert/insert desolate place here" is different than the norm for most of us. I agree that there should be no limits, except during CC. Concealed means concealed, therefore, you should only be able to pack what you can keep concealed.

I hear you and i agree.
    All my handgun equipment is concealed 99.8% of the time (somtimes open carry around the backyard/woods.) Only openly carry the long-gun if i take it for a walk.

still...why in the world would you set limits on yourself?

(lol....a backpack full of ammo would still be concealed...right?)
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I am also concealed all the time.
    If I am comfortable consealing a 300 round mag then I want the option of doing so.

I never want someone else telling me that xx amount is enough.
    that is the same as saying XD40SC is not a sutable defense weapon in there opnion, so I need to switch to a .380
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

The law (for example case law) does often search for the defination of reasonable. So the question is valid in view of possible legal consequences, regardless of the pro-gun resistance to any limitations, due to anti-gun objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Why on earth would anyone want to limit magazine capacity?...
    As for how I feel, I can't disagree with you. However, I think this feeling is realated how limitations will be unreasonable or twisted. Plus, in reality, there are undefined limitations.

I'm willing to believe (as several LEO studies have shown during the conversion from revolvers to semi-auto pistols) that the greater the number of rounds available, the more rounds will be fired (sometimes beyond what was needed).

There is something to the greater number of round available, the more that are used.

In addition, as I stated, in a questionable SD trial, say a shooting at a mall parking lot, if the shooter used a 33rd mag, I guess I would at least ask the question, why. Most people don't CC a 33rd mag for SD. It does not so much prove anything. But it does create a question.

Per a different thread, I realised I'm against serialized mags, because anti-gun types might start requiring me to register those mags. So I'm against it, just because anti-gun is for it, and might take it to the next level.

Then I realised the same goes for mag capacity. I don't so much disagree, that at some point, the number of rounds available does become questionable.

I feel strongly that number is not 10. Then again, a long 33rd mag sticking out of a mag well, I do have some bias, and I might think that person was looking for a fight.

Then I considered the 52 or rounds I carry with me from time to time in 4 mags. I hope I never get into a questionable SD situation, as it might look like I was looking for a reason. LOL, then again, maybe thats the day I'm best prepared.

So, in some ways, I'm against round limitations just because anti-gun is for it (and have played their cards with restristions like 10 rounds).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    I think there should be no magazine capacity limit. It is effectively a self-controlled thing because concealed means concealed, and how the heck do you conceal something with a 30 rnd magazine? Trench coat anyone?

That said, were I a juror I would look quite skeptically at the sanity of someone who got into an SD battle while carrying a 30 rnd magazine. Somehow, it says something to me about "reasonableness" or lack thereof.

Most SD gunfights involve 2-3 shots; 10-15 rnds and a spare mag. or a second backup weapon should suffice for just about anything short of going to war with a gang of drug cartel members. And then, chances are good you'd take one before emptying the whole thing, reloading and emptying again.

It just seems "unreasonable" to carry huge amounts of ammo, to say nothing of heavy, uncomfortable, awkward, bulky and---I've run out of adjectives.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links