For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable? - Page 5

For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable?

This is a discussion on For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MattLarson I seriously doubt anyone, anyplace ever survived a gunfight and said "man, I wish I'd had a smaller gun with less ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I seriously doubt anyone, anyplace ever survived a gunfight and said "man, I wish I'd had a smaller gun with less ammo."...Matt
    No, people have been placed in questionable SD situations were assumptions like capacity and caliber have been used against them. I often believe they have been treated unreasonably. If there was a law that limited capacity / caliber, then it could not be as easly questioned, if they were within the limit.

I'm not stating I think there should be limitations, I just disagree with your definitive statement. People have survived a gunfight, and these issues have worked against the survivor. It has happened, it might have been unfair, but it has happened.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    No, people have been placed in questionable SD situations were assumptions like capacity and caliber have been used against them.

I often believe they have been treated unreasonably. However your statement was definitive, as in it has never happened. It has.
    Do you have the links to this documentation?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Practical limit? Well how strong are ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    That at some point, after the fact, the round capacity of the mag, does create some assumptions about the carrier. It is ambiguous, and is hard to put a number on it.
    Ah! That's the core question you're wrestling with. Well, assumptions are assumptions. They aren't real. They're unsupportable. In fact, in a criminal defense situation, the prosecution will pull out all the stops in attempt to win its case, and there are a multitude of example cases showing dishonorable attempts to paint mere association and circumstance as proof ... or, at least as strongly suggestive of proof, in its absence.

The real question must then be: "At what point would someone be safe from unreasonable assumptions about one's underlying intent by carrying "so much" ammunition?"

Who's to say? I'm of the opinion that dishonor knows no bounds, so my suggestion would be to not carry a firearm if you want to avoid any accusation. Of course, you'll be dismembered, disabled or dead, or at the very least denied your standing as an honorable member of our "civilized" society (having become the local pariah, stigma, no-more-gun-for-you type of person), so it won't really matter.

For anyone else, for anyone daring to defy the assumptions and biases of The State, one has to be prepared for any and all irrational and unreasonable assumptions and connections to be made about one's daring to go armed. If you survive, then by definition you're the one standing, the one with the power and the proof sitting righ there in your hand ... aka, the shooter, the doer, the apparent criminal ... at least, that's the assumption until proven innocent. Since it can happen at any level of any degree of defense, firearm or not, 5rd revolver or 18rd Glock ... so be it.

Go armed. Always.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Do you have the links to this documentation?
    Not off hand, but just do a serch on this forum. From caliber choices to mag capacity, it has all lead to charges and legal problems.

Now again, don't take me wrong, I don't necessarly agree with the reasoning, but it does happen.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ..."At what point would someone be safe from unreasonable assumptions about one's underlying intent by carrying "so much" ammunition?"...for anyone daring to defy the assumptions and biases of The State...the one with the power and the proof sitting righ there in your hand ... aka, the shooter, the doer, the apparent criminal ... at least, that's the assumption until proven innocent. Since it can happen at any level of any degree of defense, firearm or not, 5rd revolver or 18rd Glock ... so be it...
    Ya. I guess you have it. What you said hit the nail on the head.

It is true that the burden is not mine to prove, as I am assumed innocent, and must be proven guilty.

I guess in a way I have a fear of being punshed for doing nothing wrong, because I realise how exposed I am, as I do not have the resources to hire the proper legal council.

Thxs ccw9mm. Something about your post did it.
    NRA Member

Muzzle loaders also reduce the number of rounds fired.

Hey, banning guns entirely would really reduce the number of rounds fired.

I would think reasonable would be defined as, 1-what the ccw holder is comfortable with.. 2- Civil/Criminal litigation, a good lawyer can defend you when you are carrying what the weapon was designed for and sold with, he would be hard put to keep you out of jail, or losing all your possesions should you defend yourself with your glock and a 33 round magazine. Read some of ayoob's articles.. basically dont give them a reason to string ya up.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I don't have one but a new XDm 9 has a 19 + 1. Carry 2 xtra mags that's 38 more for a total of 58 rounds. I personally don't know if I can be confortable with all that weight.

'For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable?'

YES!!!
    To those who answered 'no', what if there was a limitation only allowing you to have one round mags? According to your negative response, you would find that reasonable.(?)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links