For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable?

This is a discussion on For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable? I could have put this in another forum, but I'm focused on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: For CC, is there some type of mag capacity limitation that is unreasonable?

I could have put this in another forum, but I'm focused on the legal rights aspect than the tactical value.

I understand tactical value does play a part in what firearm should be considered a reasonable weapon to carry. I don't want to live in a world with legal mounted machine guns on the back of SUVs and wondering if the guy next to me is packing a hand gernade.

Do you think there sould be a reasonable limit to the # of rounds a CPL / CCW / CC permit holder can have in a mag?

For example a Glock G17 9mm can hold 17 + 1 rounds. Now in CA, that would be illegal, the mags are limited to 10. I find that unreasonable. In fact, given the round limitation, I think if I lived somewhere that had a round limitation, you might as well carry a sub-compact .45 ACP or a 1911 (if you are lucky enough to get a CC permit). Part of the argument for the 9mm is capacity, once you limit capacity, I think the 9mm begins to loose value.

So now you move up to a G17 with a +2 extender (19 + 1). I know some 9mm have even greater capacity standard, but I'm talking about adding an extender to get a few more rounds. I have no problem with this. I figure the CC permit holder is starting to get a bit paranoid about capacity, but it sounds reasonable to me. In addition, I'm not sure, but I think the firearm would still be a legal CC in MI. It might not be, because maybe the mag can't legally extend beyond the mag well (then again, my G33 has a +1 pink extender, and I have never considered that as illegal).

Now lets move on to the G17 owner who wants to CC with a 33rd mag. I'm not sure if that is legal in MI (anyone know?). However my question to the masses would it be unreasonable to restrict the 33rd mag for CC. What is the magic number? Is there one.

I guess if someone was in a questionable SD gunfight, and you told me they had a 33rd mag, it would raise my eyebrows a little. Then again, from time to time, you could catch me with 52 rounds on me (3 15rd mags + 1 10rd mag + 2 in the barrel). Boy, the press would have a field day with that. I do this when I'm traveling (overnight stay destinations) or headed to the range.

I guess it has less to do with a round limitation, and more about reasonably CC of a firearm.

IDK, just looking for thoughts.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I agree 100%.

Currently I'm in MA where they too have the 10 rd. mag limit per adopting the AWB rules into it's state laws.

I run a 1911. Why? Because I love 1911s...And I've yet to find any good reason to go to a wide body harder to conceal comfortably due to slide and frame thickness 'modern' autoloader that is hamstrung to just ten rounds.

If there were no mag capacity limit I would have bought a S&W M&P40 two years ago with sets of standard capacity and overly wide/blocky 15 rd. magazines.
    Alas to this day I continue to run 1911s in both .45 ACP and 9MM and they are fed 8 (45) and 9 (9MM) round magazines as primary while with the .45s I carry 10 rd. magazines on my offi side as spares.
    I can walk around all day long wearing double sticks of 10 round 1911 mags with ease while double sticks of even 10 rd. .45 mags for a polymer gun would be a pain to conceal again thanks to their inherent width.

For the trouble and effort in an AWB state I too do not see the benefit of running with anything but a .45 and a 1911. Assuming of course one can handle and shoot either reliably and with consistent accuracy.
    I plan to soon convert my 9x19mm to 9x21mm...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I think a limit of a 300 round mag is enough for my XD40SC.
    more then that is just excesive.

NO MORE BS LAWS LIMITING RIGHTS.
    2a does not say "up to xx rounds."
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Do you think there sould be a reasonable limit to the # of rounds a CPL / CCW / CC permit holder can have in a mag?
    No.

What would even be the point of such a limitation?

Nope.

For example a Glock G17 9mm can hold 17 + 1 rounds. Now in CA, that would be illegal, the mags are limited to 10.
    Preban mags are legal.

In addition, I'm not sure, but I think the firearm would still be a legal CC in MI.
    Yes it's legal.

It might not be, because maybe the mag can't legally extend beyond the mag well.
    Where on Earth did you get this idea from?

Now lets move on to the G17 owner who wants to CC with a 33rd mag. I'm not sure if that is legal in MI (anyone know?).
    100% legal in Michigan.

However my question to the masses would it be unreasonable to restrict the 33rd mag for CC. What is the magic number? Is there one.
    I think it's best left up to the gun owner to decide what is right for their situation.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

For the time being I carry the stock 10 round magazines in my G26. I have bought 3 15 round magazines for use in the larger Glocks. I'm waiting on the sleeves I ordered for them if the need for the larger capacity magazines should arise.

Going to the larger capacity magazines (33 round) seems a bit excessive. Plus, this defeats the purpose of calling your CC weapon "concealed" anymore with that magazine inserted. More often than not I carry my 10 round magazines when I carry concealed.

Not to mention that carrying a large capacity is illegal in some states. It's not the amount of rounds in the magazine, but the amount of magazines you have available.
    Last edited by Pikachu711; March 26th, 2009 at 06:16 AM. Reason: phasing
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

If we concede a single point, that a 33 rd mag is silly to contest in legislatures, or that we are willing to "accept" a limit of say 10 rounds per magazine, we will be fighting a losing battle within DAYS to prevent capacity limits of 5 rounds, or even TWO rounds.

We train, and we practice, and we pore over statistics, and anecdotes, and we learn that "most" gunfights require no more than three shots fired, if any at all.

Big deal.

When anybody needs to draw and fire in self defense, it will be anything but, "normal", or "average".

I have in fact survived an attack of about 12 "urban yutes".

A capacity limit is not intended to have any effect on crime.

It is a landmark in the ongoing battle against those who would rather have people like us killed on the street rather than acting like free men and women.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Any limititation is unreasonable.
    We are law adibing people, criminals are not.
    If we limit anything, we are only limiting ourselves.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Never heard of any mag capacity restrictions in MI..nor anything about extended mags being off-limits. My XD9SC, in fact, came with an "extended mag" increasing capacity from 10+1 to 16+1. I traded it for another 10 rounder, though. That's all I carry.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

BAC
    There is no valid legal or moral argument for magazine capacity limitations. Gun-fights are not limited to one, or even two, aggressors.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I'm sure that whatever magazine limitations are imposed by states or the Federal Government will be followed to the exact letter of the law by every criminal in the US. After all they register their firearms, only purchase from legitimate sources and never use fully automatic weapons because they are illegal. Give me a break.

Yes. IMO, all types of capacity limitations are unreasonable, since it cannot be known how much will be required in a given defensive situation. ANY limitation is going to cut into somebody's ability to withstand attack. And in reality, the only thing that's going to cut into criminals' continued attempts to attack is being stopped. Inhibiting the ability to stop isn't going to help that goal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I could have put this in another forum, but I'm focused on the legal rights aspect than the tactical value.
    Legal rights in terms of laws passed: I don't think any mag capacity limitation is reasonable. Passing laws about that type stuff is ridiculous and serves no purpose. The 10 round limit that, I hear, still exists in California did nothing but drive up the price of standard capacity magazines. Well, maybe that was the purpose.

Legal rights in terms of on trial: IANAL and I have never been on trial for anything so I don't really know, but, like most here, I have an opinion. If I was on the jury and some guy had a 30+ round magazine that more of the magazine was stuck out the mag well then fit in, there would be a hit to his credibility. Especially if he showed up in "tactical" pants and worked at the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Any limititation is unreasonable.
    We are law adibing people, criminals are not.
    If we limit anything, we are only limiting ourselves.
    +1...I'm with her!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

No limit.

The only "Arms" law we need is the Second Amendment - Period. Deep six any other "Arms" laws.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links