Bedside Pistol

Bedside Pistol

This is a discussion on Bedside Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What To Do With Your Gun At The End Of The Day Dear TNS, We left off your last report with a discussion of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedside Pistol

Bedside Pistol

What To Do With Your Gun At The End Of The Day

Dear TNS,

We left off your last report with a discussion of the various methods of carrying a concealed weapon.

What about all the guns you have that you are not carrying?

I recommend that you have a gun safe to place your guns in. I do know people who have guns stashed all over the house in desk drawers, closets, under the bed, between the mattress and boxspring, in the garage, up in the attic, down in the basement, in the medicine cabinet, etc. Although this provides you with easy access to a gun anywhere in the house, THIS IS CRAZY. You are just asking to lose your guns to a home burglary or have a tragic accident if the neighbor’s kid finds a gun in your house when you are not there.

In your house you can carry a gun! You don’t need to stash them. So have a gun safe or multiple gun safes for all your guns and carry a handgun in your house and on your property. If you cannot obtain a concealed weapon permit, then have a lock box or safe that you place your carry gun in when you exit your house. When you return home, grab your gun out of your lock box and carry it with you while home and on your property.

So what should you do with your gun when you remove your gun to take a shower, use the toilet, or go to bed?

This is a serious topic that when discussed among experts who have been carrying guns for years reveals some shocking and tragic stories that I want you to avoid.

Let’s be clear that your gun is safe and no danger to anyone who does not need to be shot when the gun is on your person in your holster. THAT is where your gun should be except when you are showering or sleeping.

What about when you go to the bathroom?

If your gun is in a holster attached to your belt, keep it there. When you pull up your pants, the gun will still be there. Where you get into trouble is when you are not using a holster and set your gun aside in the bathroom. THIS is at least an embarrassment and at worst a tragedy waiting to happen. Do people leave guns in bathrooms? ALL THE TIME simply because they set their gun aside rather than keeping it in the holster or (if not wearing a holster) placing it on top of their dropped trousers between their legs.

You won’t forget your gun if you are looking at it when you begin to pull up your pants. I know this sounds ridiculous. I can’t imagine how someone can be so preoccupied as to forget their gun in a bathroom but it happens all the time. Private citizens, law enforcement, and government agents leave their guns in hotels, airports, and restaurants on a regular basis. I personally know of a big name instructor (no longer associated with Front Sight) who left his gun in a bathroom and the gun was found by a child 10 minutes later. After thoroughly chastising to all involved, the next week, it happened again! DON’T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU. The result of your carelessness will cost you and can be tragic.

What about when you are in the shower or bath? That’s why they make stainless steel guns! Seriously, if you are in an occupation where your life is in danger 24/7, a stainless steel 38 special with lacquer dipped cartridges might be a good companion to your soap on a rope. If not, then your gun should be hidden, but within arms reach after exiting the shower.

This leads us to discuss what to do with your gun when going to bed.

Here is what you DO NOT want to do:

Do not place your gun with a round in the chamber under your pillow.
    Do not place your gun with a round in the chamber between the mattress.
    Do not place your gun with a round in the chamber on the nightstand.

Why?

Because you may unknowingly shoot yourself in the head or shoot your bed partner or shoot a family member.

Because you may wake up to a loud bang with a smoking gun in your hand.

There have been cases where such tragedies have occurred and the accused defense was, “It was an accident!”

I never believed it to be an accident until I started asking other gun trainers if they had ever personally experienced it or knew of people waking up to a “bang” and having a smoking gun in their hand. ASTONISHINGLY IT IS MORE COMMON THAN I EVER IMAGINED (yet never talked about for obvious reasons).

In all cases that I have been made aware of, the situation occurred when the person was dreaming and their loaded gun was in very close proximity to them.

The way to prevent this from happening is to keep your gun just out of arms reach with an empty chamber, hammer down, and full magazine in the gun. That way you cannot, in a dream state, fire the gun by just picking it up and pressing the trigger. You would have to recognize the gun was not loaded and cycle the action to chamber a round. If you feel you would complete all those actions in a dream, then you should have the gun in a lock box next to the bed that requires you to open the box to retrieve the gun.

Which leads into my next recommendation on lock boxes. If you are not going to carry a gun with you ALL THE TIME, then you should have several lock boxes around your house that store a handgun and easily open by pressing five buttons in a preset “combination” fashion. V-Line makes a good model that will bolt under your desk at work, or install in a drawer on your nightstand or can be placed in your bathroom, or simply slid under your bed.

When you are not carrying your gun, place it, loaded, in the lock box. It will be safe from accident or theft and the time it takes to press the five buttons in proper sequence and retrieve the gun is not much slower than presenting the weapon from a concealed holster.
    The above is from Dr. Ignatius Piazza news letter I got this morning

Gun Training Report #20 Avoid a Tragedy

My question to fellow DC members is what you think of Dr. Piazza recommendation of keeping your bedroom pistol out of reach and without a bullet in the chamber.

Could you actually shot your wife, loved one or yourself while you are sleeping?

Do you think this is a prudent tactic?

Have citizens actually shot someone in their sleep?

All the stories I've heard about sleepy time drugs like ambien(sp?) lead me to believe it could happen. Heck I've known of people who sleep walk and cook themselves complete meals and crazy stuff like that.

VIP Member
    My cousin took ambien and started sleep walking, he walked out to the jeep he borrowed from his dad. Ended up driving 25 miles and rolling the jeep 3 times. ALL WHILE ASLEEP.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Bull poop

I have never sleep walked in my life, so I'm not going to worry about a loaded gun on my nightstand, plus I'm a light sleeper anyways.
    NRA Member

My wifes nightstand has the Kel Tec P 3AT already chambered and I have the Smith & Wesson Airweight 442 fully loaded. I want to be ready when I am woken from a sound sleep.
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

My Kimber stays within reach and fully ready for action.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The odds half to be like a million to one BUT I believe it could happen (anything can happen) and am not willing to take a chance, so at bed time, my carry is locked away and the shotgun is in the corner next to my bed about 5 feet away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamour View Post
    Bull poop
    If this is directed at my comment, then I recommend you go read the bottle of ambien.....it says on the bottle that it may cause you to want to drive (in your sleep)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Neither my wife nor I have ever sleep walked. We have no kids, so safe storage for that reason is not an issue. I do have my guns, not currently in "rotation", stored safely. However, I do sleep with a loaded .357 in night stand, within reach and I consider that one of the main reasons why we don't need Ambien or any other "sleep medicine". We sleep just fine.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    [q]What about when you are in the shower or bath? That’s why they make stainless steel guns! Seriously, if you are in an occupation where your life is in danger 24/7, a stainless steel 38 special with lacquer dipped cartridges might be a good companion to your soap on a rope. If not, then your gun should be hidden, but within arms reach after exiting the shower.[/q]

I have a cousin who owns a pawn shop in the country. He does NOT carry a gun.

One day just after he closed the shop and was home taking a shower, Three men broke into his home tied up his 9yr old son and 11yr old nephew. They then drug him out of the shower and took him to his shop to steal all his guns.

The boys were held hostage while he was taken to the shop. All the guns were in a timer operated vault so the BGs were not able to get any guns.

On the way back he believed he and the boys were going to be killed so he broke away and ran screaming to a neighbors who he saw out in the yard. I quess this scared the BG's and the ran without hurting anyone. Thank God!

I have often thought how he may have prevented this. Thankfully he and the boys were not killed.

I was thinking about it, I keep my Glock in a holster next to my bed..... you know just incase.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    quote= What about when you are in the shower or bath? That’s why they make stainless steel guns! Seriously, if you are in an occupation where your life is in danger 24/7, a stainless steel 38 special with lacquer dipped cartridges might be a good companion to your soap on a rope. If not, then your gun should be hidden, but within arms reach after exiting the shower.

One day just after he closed the shop and was home taking a shower, Three men broke into his home tied up his 9yr old son and 11yr old nephew. They then drug him out of the shower and took him to his shop to steal all his guns.

The boys were held hostage while he was taken to the shop. All the guns were in a timer operated vault so the BGs were not able to get any guns.

On the way back he believed he and the boys were going to be killed so he broke away and ran screaming to a neighbors who he saw out in the yard. I quess this scared the BG's and the ran without hurting anyone. Thank God!

I have often thought how he may have prevented this. (maybe, a locked, fortified door and a gun in the shower?)

Thankfully he and the boys were not killed.

Woah, I just had a serious case of Deja Vu!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post

I have often thought how he may have prevented this. (maybe, a locked, fortified door and a gun in the shower?)

Thankfully he and the boys were not killed.
    Whoa. That's totally messed up. Thank goodness they got out okay. Does he carry now?

I sleep with my gun under the other pillow, not my own, as I do not have a night stand to put it on/in. Every time I wake up it is right where I placed it. Never moved, safety still on. Don't see a problem with it. Personally I think that if you are a sleep walker that would end up shooting someone, you are the kind that can cook/drive or w/e while sleeping. In which case your perfectly capable of unlocking, loading and shooting a gun. So I don't see how that makes you safer to lock it up unloaded. Just my 2 cents.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links