Rented a Para .45 LDA this afternoon....

This is a discussion on Rented a Para .45 LDA this afternoon.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I try to rent something different every time I hit the range so I can try out different calibers. This afternoon I took my younger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rented a Para .45 LDA this afternoon....

Rented a Para .45 LDA this afternoon....

I try to rent something different every time I hit the range so I can try out different calibers. This afternoon I took my younger brother to the range to shoot my XD9 and my run some rounds through my wife's Kahr MK9. I figured I'd rent a .45 1911 since I had never fired one before I I wanted to get a feel for what all the fuss was about. So, the range had a Para-Ordinance 1911 with the LDA trigger. I grabbed that and a box of ammo to toss through it.

After putting about 150 rounds through my XD and a 100 or so through my wife's MK, we loaded up the Para and fired away.....

Where's all the recoil I've heard about??? I've heard time and again how the .45 acp hits so much harder than the 9mm that I was expecting something silly! I was surprised at how tame the recoil felt. The ammo was only target type and I didn't even bother to look at the bullet size or anything, but the recoil was nothing like i was expecting. I do plan on picking up a .45 sometime this year or early next depending on how the $$$ situation falls and that's one of the reasons I try as many calibers as I can. I want to see where my comfortability level is reached!

I can see why everyone who shoots the .45 likes it so much though. I had a ton of fun throwing lead downrange with that Para. It felt like a really nice round and I was very comfortable with it. I shall have some firearm in the neqar future with a .45 size hole in the barrel!!!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh - a new convert LOL!

True enough - the venerable .45acp really is not a rattlesnake at all. Start saving them pennies dude - the call has arrived
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

ok, good.....now how about the Para LDA ???

There's just something about a .45
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I've never under stood people say the 45 recoil's to much Either .. It is a tame recoiling round a nice slow pressure curve makes it fun to shoot

Lead Moderator
    I think lots of stories from folks who wanted to intimidate others w/ the .45 power is to blame. A few gun store folks told my girlfriend a .45 would be too much gun for her. Yeah, right.
    JMB sure got the ergonomics perfect on the 1911 . Feels like it was made just for me.

My wife shot everything from .380 up through 44mag when looking for a CCW (although the magnum was more for fun). She ended up preferring the 45 to everything else. The .380 was the worst in her opinion. She ended up with the Para Ordnance CCW with the LDA trigger.

I tell ya....the first time I squeezed the trigger on a 1911 of the .45 caliber type. I just can't explain the feeling of history, power and total protection that came over me. Secondly, when I went to qualify for my CCW, you had guys and gals with all kinds of weapons out there shooting, but I was the only one with a 1911. My weapon fired consistently. I tell in my opinion you can't beat a basic high quality 45. Hey mom is the apple pie ready yet......All American Baby....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    I have not handled a 1911 since I got out of the Army over 30 years ago, but this year I am going to get one. Last Saturday I was at a little gunshow - got kicked out of the usual place and was at a NG Armory (small one at that). I was looking to trade a S&W 429 and so I stopped at this one table to try a couple of things. Nothing struck me, but as I was talking to the fellow there he said, "I'll let you handle anything you want, you paid for that when you came through the door." So I took him up on it. He had a SA Micro that I looked over and then I asked to see the 1911 A1 Mil Spec. It was like coming home. My exact words were: "Now that feels familiar." It just felt like it belonged. Now I have to come up with the funds to make the purchase. I can hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    I have not handled a 1911 since I got out of the Army over 30 years ago, but this year I am going to get one. Last Saturday I was at a little gunshow - got kicked out of the usual place and was at a NG Armory (small one at that). I was looking to trade a S&W 429 and so I stopped at this one table to try a couple of things. Nothing struck me, but as I was talking to the fellow there he said, "I'll let you handle anything you want, you paid for that when you came through the door." So I took him up on it. He had a SA Micro that I looked over and then I asked to see the 1911 A1 Mil Spec. It was like coming home. My exact words were: "Now that feels familiar." It just felt like it belonged. Now I have to come up with the funds to make the purchase. I can hardly wait!
    Glad ya found one you liked .. Coming up with funds is always the problem

When i win the lotto it wont be a problem

DC Founder
    I have never understood the complaints of .45acp recoil. To me it feels different, sorta muted. I always thought of it like boats bumping the dock while pulling into a slip. A little boat has to slam into it going pretty fast to do much damage to the dock. Ever seen a yacht hit a dock, even slowly?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    A little boat has to slam into it going pretty fast to do much damage to the dock. Ever seen a yacht hit a dock, even slowly?
    Can't say as i have i would imagine it does a lot of damage?

I got tired of waiting for a report on the para so I went out and bought one !

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    I got tired of waiting for a report on the para so I went out and bought one !
    I was working at the FD the last couple days so I was slow to report...

I think you will find the Para LDA to be a damn fine piece of handgun. I put 50 rounds down it and had 0 problems with it. Even being a rental, it fired every time without a hiccup. The gun felt very balanced in my hands. In order to drop the slide from stop, I ahd to reach it with my off hand. It was a little different for me since I have been firing my XD and MK which I can easily slide drop with my primary thumb. The Para is quite a bit bigger than both but I was easily situated with it within 2 mags. Accuracy was great. I had point fire groups measuring 2-3" at 10 yards. My brother, who had never shot a handgun before, put 2 rounds site fire through the X at 10 yards with that Para (Kid was a damn fine shot for his first time!). Recoil I felt was minimal. Easily controlled and very quick to get back on target. The trigger was a tad long compared to what I was used to, but felt fine after a couple of mags. In all, a very nice piece.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I don't want to start something here, really I don't, but next time shoot a 1911 with a 1911 trigger. I haven't ever SHOT the LDA but handled and dryfired a handful. It just ain't the same for me. The 1911 is my favorite style ever, but to me (and others I think) it really ain't a 1911. Don't start a war here, I just want him to really shoot a 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links