Im on a .22LR rifle thing right now.... - Page 3

Im on a .22LR rifle thing right now....

This is a discussion on Im on a .22LR rifle thing right now.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Q- can target ammo really be used as a defensive round....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Im on a .22LR rifle thing right now....

Question defensive ammo vs. target ammo

Q- can target ammo really be used as a defensive round.

Quote Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
    Q- can target ammo really be used as a defensive round.
    Are you referring only to .22LR or any 'target' (i.e. FMJ) ammo?
    HK45c V1

specifically 4o cal. Just joined this site am not well acquainted with using this forum at this time. Noticed most dialogue at this time is on .22, but thought I would throw in my question.

It can be used as SD ammo but has the tendency to "over penatrate". Meaning your round could go all the way through your target and hit something you never wanted to hit. Where are you in OK? Im stationed at Ft.Sill.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Am in Guthrie Oklahoma. My thoughts are that in an extended "situation" that could ocurr in our country. Why not use target loads. You could mx and match with hp ammo as well.

l like the 10/22 rifles. you can dress them up and/or keep he plain. either way they are good rifles.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have an old Marlin 60, Remington Nylon, Ruger 10-22 in the gun safe and placed an order for a new Savage MarkII BV that should be here next week.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

If you haven't discovered Rimfire Central, you need to go there and sign up. Great forum for the rimfire enthusiast.

I don't have as many as some of you, but here's what I have and a few quick notes about each.

Ruger 10/22 in current condition and it's original condition.
    If you could only have one 22 rifle, this is the one to have. Great little gun and more custom parts than you can shake a stick at. Also very easy for anyone with any gun knowledge to work on.

Savage Mark II
    Amazing little rifle for the money (or a lot more). Bought one of these for a Grandson a few years ago and liked it so much went and bought one for myself. Very accurate rifles. Mine was before the Accutrigger so I put an aftermarket trigger in it that breaks at about 1#.

Henry Golden Boy
    Very fun gun. Extremely slick action and appears very accurate, but without a scope can't be more accurate than my eyes.

Henry Survival Rifle
    Bought this just for a truck gun. Horrible trigger, terrible sights and just plain strange to shoot but has functioned flawlessly. Works for it's purpose and in it's stored condition, can bounce around in the back of the truck without consequence.

Remington 597
    This is a very accurate gun if you can shoot through the worst rifle trigger I've ever owned. I keep this one around to let inexperienced shooters learn on as you'll never have an AD with this trigger.

Taurus Model 62 Pump
    Another fun gun. Bought this for a CAS long range 22 rifle. Put a tang sight on it and it is a great shooting little rifle.

CZ 452 Varmint (Don't know why, but didn't have a picture of mine)
    Another amazingly accurate rifle. Factory trigger was just so-so but found a guy over at Rimfire Central that sold a set of bushings for the trigger and it now sports an 8oz. trigger.

Winchester Model 74
    Inherited this from my Dad. One of only two guns he owned. My sister got the Iver-Johnson single shot 410. This gun has always worked though I shoot it rarely now. Because it was my Dad's, the one gun I own I promise Eric Holder will have to pry from my cold, dead hands.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

+1 for the 10/22. Bought a cheap scope from wallyworld and it is a hoot to shoot!!!

I was a 10/22 fan for a l-o-n-g time & spend wide dollars on after-market goodies in pursuit of the "perfect" all-around .22 autoloading rifle. When I (finally) added-up cost of all the stuff on the rifle & all the stuff laying around that I had "tried & disliked"...I had spent more than enought $$$ to buy a really nice, complete, factory-stock, high-quality rimfire rifle! So, I did. I sold ALL my 10/22 rifles & accessories, took that (small) pile of money & bought a NIB Volquartsen Superlite. It looks just like a 10/22 (same design) but shoots almost as accurately as my Anschutz Supermatch 54. I now have bought the LAST .22 rifle I'll ever need.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    +1 for the 10/22. Bought a cheap scope from wallyworld and it is a hoot to shoot!!!
    Before you buy another .22, buy some good glass for your 10/22. I put a Bushnell 4X rimfire scope on my 10/22 Stainless Steel carbine. It can shoot more accrately than I can hold (contrary to "current wisdom" about 10/22 stock carbines) The 10/22 in any configuration is an accurate little gun for any field work or plinking you might do. I don't shoot in the Olympics so I don't need the accuracy most posters seem to demand of their rifles.

I find the biggest limitations to accuracy are not the rifles but ammo (find one brand that works) and sights (buy good opticals. I go no lower in quality than Bushnell or Nikon on .22s and Shotguns and switch to Leupolds on 30-06 and 308.)

A good medium quality scope can turn your "beer can killer" into a "smart bullet death ray" overnight. The .22 LR is a very accurate catridge within it's designed operating range and a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 will deliver "lead on target" right out of the box.

My trail companion:

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I just remembered that I had a couple pics on my crummy camera phone of my 10/22 so I thought I'd sling 'em up here just for the heck of it....
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Before you buy another .22, buy some good glass for your 10/22.
    I agree with you 100% on optics. In my first pic, the top gun is a Rem Mod. 700 in 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest mounted. I paid more for the scope than I did the rifle. I just haven't gotten around to putting a quality scope on the 10/22 yet.... but you bet I will.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    I agree with you 100% on optics. In my first pic, the top gun is a Rem Mod. 700 in 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest mounted. I paid more for the scope than I did the rifle. I just haven't gotten around to putting a quality scope on the 10/22 yet.... but you bet I will.
    My main deer rifle is a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 with a Leupold VX III 3-10X on it. Scope cost $300 more than Rifle! I know rifle and cartridge can and will deliver, problem is, I have to put them on target: hence need for the best I can afford in glass! Like I said even my rimfires and shotgun (slug Gun) wear good quality glass. The best and most expensive gun in the world can't shoot straight if it isn't on target when the trigger is pulled!

Nice looking 30-06 btw! I have 308 and 30-06 but I still like the 30-06 the most.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Have you seen the new Sig 522? MSRP is 539.00 I bet you could find it around 450.00 or less.
    I want one too, but Sig says, "Fall of 2009". If they are using the Kahr calendar that means "Summer of 2010 maybe".

Check out the GSG-5. (copy of the H&K MP-5.)
    It's the hot item now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links