Perfect Gun Clerk?

Perfect Gun Clerk?

This is a discussion on Perfect Gun Clerk? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What does DC expect from salespeople at firearms dealers? Well, rather, what do you think makes the guy on the other side of the counter ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Gun Clerk?

Perfect Gun Clerk?

What does DC expect from salespeople at firearms dealers? Well, rather, what do you think makes the guy on the other side of the counter stand out from the rest? Knowledge of every single part and year of manufacture of every firearm in existence including exact weight and barrel steel chemistry? Obviously there are few who know all the ins and outs of every question they are to be asked. Or is a friendly person who can point newbs in the right direction, give a positive introduction to firearms, possibly recommend ammunition and training, and have a more general knowledge that satisfies 80% of their customers sufficient? Kind of a general question, so feel free to go on a tangent with specifics, ideas, stories, etc.

I prefer a courteous salesperson who is familiar enough, with a firearm, to answer specific questions of a technical nature. However, I have ran into some that seem to feel obligated to "impress" me with their obviously well- studied knowledge and personal opinions. That, I don't like so much.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

VIP Member
    I want a courteous person who isn't just trying to make a sale. I also don't like to hear from them what they think the perfect gun is. Just try your best to answer my questions, say "I don't know", when it applies, and be helpful/friendly.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I research the things I buy extremely carefully before I commit. This means multiple trips to various gun stores, online research, price checks, reviews, firing at the range if possible, reading manuals online...

Things I require of my regular FFL:

Know the law
    Have reasonable intelligence
    Reasonably kind
    Honest
    Have what I need
    Maintains safe environment (the other day mine stopped a customer with a loaded magazine in one hand and his pistol in the other)
    Easy FFL transfers ($20 is fair for most)
    A good knowledge of firearms is a must, but they don't need to be final-jeopardy champions
    Patient and willing to show me every firearm in the store, strip them down and get my fingerprints all over it.

It is always fun when they are Class-3 dealers as well

I occasionally spend a fair amount of $ so it pays to be kind and patient with me.

I hope to be a gun sales person someday. I think I would truly enjoy it.

My idea of a great sales person is:
    No bull stories about caliber, etc.
    No arm twisting to sell what is in stock
    Be familiar with the laws
    Be familiar with gun operation
    Be familiar with parts
    Preach the safety rules

One who throws in free stuff cause you are a repeat customer - They should be polite, courteous, and friendly as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    No bull stories about caliber, etc.
    No arm twisting to sell what is in stock
    Ditto.

Also, the guy who says more than he knows will send me out the door. If he is wrong on things I know about, he is no source of info on stuff I don't know. I often ask a question or two where I know the answer, before I ask about an item or feature that I haven't researched that well yet.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggles View Post
    One who throws in free stuff cause you are a repeat customer - They should be polite, courteous, and friendly as well.
    Or, real discounts for a repeat customer -- NOT have everything marked up a give pretend discounts.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Patience and building a relationship are key as well.

I may look at 10 - 20 firearms over the course of several months. I often look at the same one 3 - 4 times in that time frame. I like to weigh my options.

Get to know me, I'll get to know you, and I'll come back and ask for you by name when I'm ready to buy.

Rush me, bs me, piss me off, I won't deal with you, and I'm as likely to not deal with the store either if the experience is negative enough.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    ctr

+100%
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

If you don't know something "I don't know, but will find out for you" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I like dealers who are honest, friendly, and who treat me with respect. I've had some gun shops who were reluctant to assist me because I look so young, and I don't appear to be the age I really am. I do not like clerks who try to sell me guns I cannot afford, or try to tell me to buy a certain gun because they like it. More often than not I know what I am after when I walk into a gun store, and I do my research before heading down there. I know how busy FFL dealers are these days so I don't like to hang around too long making them show me different guns, even though that is their job. I've been to one particular FFL dealer in town enough to where everyone working there knows me by first name, and I know most of them by first name as well. They're even nice enough to invite me to their annual cookouts and Christmas parties. I say that deserves repeat business from me, I love food!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Friendly.
    Honest.
    Can answer my questions with FACTS not opinions.
    Can answer any question I ask, but waits for me to ask.
    Knows what they don't know.
    Understands that there might be things in their shop that I actually know more about than they do, and does not feel threatened by it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I'd give a big plus on all of the above! My favorite gun guy (RIP) helped me with my first few purchases. Before he even talked about guns, he asked me several open-ended questions about myself. He did that to gauge my likes and dislikes with objects, tools, toys, computers, art, work, etc. When done, he had several suggestions, but framed the pluses and minuses very analytically in similar "language", which told me he had really listened to me.

He was a great fella. Rest in Peace, Jim Davis.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    When I am ready to buy, I have done my research and made up my mind, so I have no questions and really require only 1 basic service: sell me what I want.

The owner of a particular gun store ordered a pistol with night sights for me; when I wanted a particular left-hand AR-15 later, an employee of the same store tried to sell me a different and more-expensive one in stock, said he'd look for the one I wanted, took no further action. So I contacted a "private" FFL used by a colleague of mine; he had no problem getting it from Stag Arms, at an excellent price too, so I will use him in the future.

How about to regular (not super ninja DC members) Joe Blow who come to buy their first gun? How would you like someone to treat a friend or spouse going to buy without you (besides the argument that creates!)? I for one, can't stand it when the clerk acts completely unamused by my inquiries, like I just ruined their day or something, responding in that monotonous voice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links