Glock 23 .40 s&W to a .357

This is a discussion on Glock 23 .40 s&W to a .357 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking of buying a .357 what is your advice on changing the barrel from my Glock 23 to a .357 barrel will the ...

I was thinking of buying a .357 what is your advice on changing the barrel from my Glock 23 to a .357 barrel will the Glock handle it or can I damage the Glock?

Administrator
    It can be done, it wont hurt anything. I suggest sticking with OEM Glock parts though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I, personally, have never been a fan of interchangeable ...anything, especially firearms calibers. I like the feel/ shooting characteristics of a given firearm to remain consistent. The way I like having a claw hammer for some jobs and a ball pein hammer for others. I don't want a handle with interchangeable hammer heads. I like knowing, from repeated use, instinctively how each will feel/ perform when used. Call me simple minded but I like having my G23 and my Ruger Service Six in .357.

KEEP WATCHING! STAY VIGILANT!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

I just did the very same thing with my Sig 2340. I found a factory .357 SIG barrel for it and it works fine. I like having the variability. The magazines are the same, in fact they are stamped with both .40 S&W and .357 SIG. You should check ammo prices first, the .357 SIG is quite a bit more expensive.
    Guiltydog

I do believe I've read some place that to do a .357 Sig barrell swap with a G23 that it has to be a 3rd generation frame. You may want to check into it before purchasing a barrell.

If all is well with my statement above, you shouldn't have to worry about any damage. You can even use the same magazines, as a .357 Sig is a necked down .40 S&W.

Not to hi-jack, but here is something I read about in, I believe, "Combat Handguns" magazine. A Glock 20 or 29 with all three barrells. 10mm, .40S&W and .357 Sig.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    Not to hi-jack, but here is something I read about in, I believe, "Combat Handguns" magazine. A Glock 20 or 29 with all three barrells. 10mm, .40S&W and .357 Sig.
    You can add the 9x25 Dillon to that mix as well. Been pondering it myself for my G29SF.

Quote Originally Posted by lionassad View Post
    I was thinking of buying a .357 what is your advice on changing the barrel from my Glock 23 to a .357 barrel will the Glock handle it or can I damage the Glock?
    I believe if you check around that the only part difference is the stock Glock barrel. Mags, etc are the same except the markings. No change other than the barrel necessary. About as simple as it gets. Just don't try to fire .357 in your .40 barrel. Yes people do such things. The other way around it won't feed so there is no issue.

Links