Ripped off mother in law

This is a discussion on Ripped off mother in law within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My mother in law knows that I enjoy guns. For my birthday this year she was thrilled because she had found a gift she knew ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped off mother in law

Ripped off mother in law

My mother in law knows that I enjoy guns. For my birthday this year she was thrilled because she had found a gift she knew I would love. She came over very excited for me to unwrap my gift and I did not make her wait. As I unwrapped it I could tell that it was obviously an unboxed pistol and I became a little excited. After getting thru all the unnecessary layers of wrapping paper I was kinda heartbroken. It was a Jennings nine. I know its the thought that counts and I was very thankful. I later herd her talking in the other room and overheard that she had spent 250$ and I was shocked! This was a used gun with no box or papers! I may be wrong but this seemed extremely high. I cannot believe someone ripped off this older lady (I hope she never reads this). But I guess they probably seen her coming from a mile away.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe there would be some way you could find out where she bought it. Maybe go down there and complain? Maybe get the money back and buy her a nice present with it? Or ammo?
    BTW, consider yourself lucky.
    I consider it a good day if my mother-in-law doesn't give me the "EVIL EYE"!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Gunbroker has a used Chrome Jennings 9 for $150: Bryco 59 by Jennings 9mm high cap - CHROME : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Sounds like somebody took advantage of her, that's too bad.

That is pretty cool that she would buy you a gun though! Mine gave me socks for Christmas this last year

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Unless you have the time and know that you could reverse the sale to your MIL, I would just accept the gift and not hurt her feelings.

Life is filled with 'rip-off artists' and there is not much we can change about that. I wouldn't even tell her, just let her think she did something special for you.

Stay armed...enjoy the moment...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No need for her to ever find out.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    No need for her to ever find out.
    Good advice---keep the peace.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    You could find out, keep it from your MIL and let folks know about this individual or place of business and let him/her know you know just for S&Gs that their scum. God Bless your MIL. Hurt the business where it counts, in the bank account portion.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Unless you have the time and know that you could reverse the sale to your MIL, I would just accept the gift and not hurt her feelings.

Life is filled with 'rip-off artists' and there is not much we can change about that. I wouldn't even tell her, just let her think she did something special for you.

Stay armed...enjoy the moment...stay safe!
    I agree !00/00 , It was very thoughtful of her and you can always sell/trade in the future bier:
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

VIP Member
    It was a great gesture on her part, and she thinks she did well. Any business that would take advantage of her that way is not going to make it right. There is also the possibility she bought it from a friend who had no idea what the value of the gun was, ie. someone inherited it from an estate and didn't want it.
    Just let it go. Look at it this way, everyone can use a safe queen.

Nice gesture on her part. Hey, look at it this way: it's an excuse to carry another gun when you're around her (in case she wonders if you are carrying it). I wouldn't substitute it for one you normally carry, though.

I agree with not letting her find out what you really think about it. Perhaps someday in the far-off future you can trade it in on something.

HEY....."NO PAPERWORK" has got to be worth something!!!!!

Wow, I hope I don't get ripped off when I do get my gun. That's so sad people will do that to others.

VIP Member

No paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    HEY....."NO PAPERWORK" has got to be worth something!!!!!
    It was a lovely gesture and it is the thought that counts.

But, since she was ripped, you need to make sure the gun wasn't itself ripped. No paperwork?

Big red flag.

I hope she got it from a legitimate FFL and that it isn't "stolen" like the extra 100 she seems to have paid.

Anyway, don't let her know about these concerns. Let her remain in blissful ignorance thinking that she got good value and gave you a wonderful present. To do otherwise would be hurtful to her, and make you look unappreciative.

Definitely no reason to let her know all the back story. It sounds like she was making every effort to please someone she cares about. Take it to the range and give her a report and you'll both enjoy the gift.

I would try to do a little clandestine investigation though (maybe your wife can help here), and hopefully let someone know you're on to their games. A business that works that way won't be in business for the long haul, and I'd take great pleasure in adding a nail to the coffin.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Look on the bright side: Maybe you'll get a Stallard for Christmas!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links