POLL: Online auctions and gun sellers

This is a discussion on POLL: Online auctions and gun sellers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine owns a little gun shop in a tiny town and we were talking about buying used guns online... he said that ...

View Poll Results: What is your experience with buying guns online?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would never buy a gun online

9 7.14%
  • I have never bought online but am not adverse to it

52 41.27%
  • I have bought online but was disappointed

0 0%
  • I have bought online and have been satisfied

54 42.86%
  • I buy online frequently

11 8.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

A friend of mine owns a little gun shop in a tiny town and we were talking about buying used guns online... he said that he didn't think most gun owners want to order online, new or used, as MOST people will want to look it over "in person"...

I, on the other hand, have bought several online and have never been disappointed... but I said that I think I have my finger on the pulse of concealed carriers (as a member and voracious reader of DC.com) and I believe that many people have and do order via online sellers and auctions.

My friend is in a little village of 1500 people, mostly long gun hunters and a few CC'ers. His business is roughly 70% long guns and 30% handguns... he thinks his customers are very "hands-on" people and would never buy online.

So I told him I would start a poll here and relay the results to him... please, please vote! I'd like to give him a broad sample of opinions and comments!

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I've bought some great guns off gunbroker, and at great prices.

Ex: Browning Citori Lightening, like new for $700, Mossberg 500 camo with 2 barrels like new $175, Winchester Supreme Sporting, exc cond. $750.

Those are the ones I can think of offhand.

Never a single problem.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I try to patronize local gun dealers if their prices are reasonable and their personnel actually know what they are doing. I have purchased many Curio and Relic rifles on Gun Broker and Auction Arms with great success. The on line sites were used because most local gun stores don't have much in the way of quality antique firearms. I have also had success with reloading dies. As far as firearms for self defense, I would buy on line if the price was good and the seller had many previous sales with an outstanding rating, otherwise no way.

I do my business 'in person' only. I try to use the same gun shop (they are more than fair with me), and I have someone I trust to make 'fair deals'. I give them a lot of business, and in return they have given me a break on guns, ammo, safes, and other accessories.

I wouldn't buy a gun on-line (and I'm sure many can find terrific deals), just not my style.

Stay armed...do it in person...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BAC
    I bought my Mauser and my 1911 on Gunbroker for great prices. My AR was pieced together from parts bought online from several vendors. In all likelihood, I'll likely buy my next couple firearms from some online source or another.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I bought two guns online, one through Gunbroker.com, the other through another gun board...

Both were good deals, and worked it through my FFL. To keep it fair, I purchase mags and other accessories (and a few other guns) from my FFL.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've got some good stuff online. A lot of times the prices are jacked up, but you can find reasonable deals. Saves on time and gas money getting things online too. I'm not going to be quitting anytime soon.

Austin

I've bought two NIB weapons online. No problems, completely satisfied.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member
    I try to buy local, but I saved over $100 on the last gun that I bought and $350 on the one before that.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I do my business 'in person' only. I try to use the same gun shop (they are more than fair with me), and I have someone I trust to make 'fair deals'. I give them a lot of business, and in return they have given me a break on guns, ammo, safes, and other accessories.

I wouldn't buy a gun on-line (and I'm sure many can find terrific deals), just not my style.

Stay armed...do it in person...stay safe!
    My sentiments, exactly. I also deal with a local gun shop and want to do what I can to make sure they stay around. They treat me fairly and I give them all of my business.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Interesting. No one has had a bad experience buying online. Some just don't want to and that's okay too. I bought online because the stores don't have what I want. I have never been disappointed, although I try to be as careful as possible.

I have always bought/sold face to face locally at one of 2 gun shops. They both have treated me fairly at all times. I much prefer to support my local business owner rather than an online seller or a big box store.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

I will only buy new guns online. I'd rather check the gun out in person if I'm looking at a used gun.

I have bought new guns from gunbroker.com, buds gun shop, and impact guns. No problems with any of them. My local gun shop has no problems with this either, since he makes $20 every time I do this for the ffl delivery fee.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

I'm not averse to buying a firearm online, but I have never done it. After the election, I thought it was probably a good time to maybe "stock up" and pursue my HCP. I had an idea about some handguns I was looking for and since the first of the year I had been checking online prices (gunbroker, gunsamerica, buds etc.) and the local pawn shops and gun shops. I was patient and eventually, I bought the 3 handguns I had been considering, locally (2- pawn shop, used, 1- gun shop, new) and after comparing prices and all fees involved in buying online, I realized I couldn't have bought those guns online for the prices I paid locally. I figure between the 3, I saved a good $100 - $200. I consider myself lucky and I think the key to that luck was being patient. I buy alot of things online but to be honest, some things, I really like to see in person. Presently, I am looking locally and online at ARs and they seem pretty expensive everywhere.
    While we're on the subject. Has anyone ever bought from CDNN Sports, Inc.?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

I buy hard-to-find guns on line. I bought an AMT Custom Shop 10-22 on line for a fair price, and when it arrived, it was mint condition, and serial # 001!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links