Picked up a 597. I have questions...

This is a discussion on Picked up a 597. I have questions... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got it out the door for $100 even. Brought her home and loaded the mag. Had a few FTF's and a few FTE's through 3 ...

Thread: Picked up a 597. I have questions...

Picked up a 597. I have questions...

Got it out the door for $100 even. Brought her home and loaded the mag. Had a few FTF's and a few FTE's through 3 or 4 loadings of the mag. Im sure the gun needs cleaning and Ive heard this is the reason. Could have been me some too LOL

OK, a few questions:

1) Does anyone know where Id find info on dating this by serial #?

2) Has anyone had any success using the Hi Cap mags with this?

3) Does anyone lese like the way the gun feels? It feels like alot more gun than it is and I think thats a plus.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Might help with more info. What exactly is a 597?

Oppp s Remington 597 in .22LR
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Congratulations on the 597! A fine rifle!
    I love my 597. It has always been dead-on accurate, but not issue-free.
    I, too, experienced FTE/FTFs when I first had it out to the range. That all ended, as did the range trip, when the extractor went bye-bye after 200 rds. Remington gave me a new bolt assembly and springs. All good.
    That's the back story.

The FTE/FTFs on a new 597 are 99% caused by the guide rod set screws being over-torqued at the factory. This causes the guide rods to bow out slightly, impeding the free action of the bolt. Many a new 597 owner has cussed a blue streak.

The solution to this one is simple. Just back-off the guide rod set screws for both guide rods, and tighten only until the set screw touches the end of the guide rod. The bolt should cycle much better after that.

There are a couple inexpensive mods you may want to do, making an already great rifle better. The first mod I undertook was a drop-in Volquartzen target hammer. This dropped the 8 lbs. trigger pull to a very nice 2.5 lbs.

The factory extractor was replaced by a Volquartzen exact-edge extractor. It has been reliable ever since.

I've found it is especially fond of MiniMags. I won't use Remington Golden Bullet in it again (or any other .22 for that matter.)

My latest mod, if you will, was polishing the guide rods and corresponding slides on the bolt. The hammer channel under the bolt was also polished. The action is so smooth now! Like the bolt is gliding on air.

I use both the factory 10-rd and the Remington 30-rd magazines. The 30-rd mags need a bit of work with fine grit paper, as they are very tight in the magwell.
    All-in-all, I prefer to carry multiple factory 10-rd mags, as they are less apt to have feed issues, and pretty much stay out of the way. The 30-rd mags can get in the way when you have to hit the ground.

There's lots of great info on the 597 here.

Enjoy your 597!
    Last edited by RemMod597; March 30th, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Expanded commentary on mags.

Thank you RemMod. Im over at RFC as we type here. As I checked there this would seem to be a 94 model? There is only one letter in the serial and that is the letter B which is first in the serial. Unless, later in the serial the 0 is actually and O.

If this is the case Im thinking its a 94 though Id like to be sure. I really like the sights on this and when it does shoot it is really accurate as far as I can tell for just running a few through it today.

I usually like Federal Bulk Pack stuff in all the other .22's I have but these were some Winchester Xperts I had bought and have open. My Marlin 60 eats everything.

Ill get her going.
    New tunes added.

VIP Member
    I have one in .17HMR. The only issues I've had are magazine related. The mag springs seem to be a little weak.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I was actually able to date this to September 06. Good deal for me....
    New tunes added.

Ive got a 597 also, ive found I can't shoot the cheap bulk boxes of ammo. I shoot the more expensive rounds. then its very reliable. I dont wanna dig and see what kind but i belive there were some kind of "Thunderbolt" maybe...? Just try to better ammo and see. Cant beat a .22 in the wallet...

Links