.22LR vs. Archery Tackle on Big Game

This is a discussion on .22LR vs. Archery Tackle on Big Game within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let's say you are shooting a deer. (Yes, I know that .22LR is illegal in many states for hunting big game) What would hit harder? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22LR vs. Archery Tackle on Big Game

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Let's say you are shooting a deer. (Yes, I know that .22LR is illegal in many states for hunting big game) What would hit harder? A .22LR round at 50 yards or an arrow traveling 250fps from 25 yards?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

It is not so much what hits harder as what will do more damage IMHO. What kind of wound track is that .22 going to make compared with a one inch wide broad head? I am not going to volunteer to get in front of either one but that arrow would scare me more.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

One can certainly secure venisine with either an arrow or a .22LR bullet, but the arrow is going to do more damage (one shot of either)...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Let's say you are shooting a deer. (Yes, I know that .22LR is illegal in many states for hunting big game) What would hit harder? A .22LR round at 50 yards or an arrow traveling 250fps from 25 yards?
    The comparison is flawed as each of these projectiles rely on different priciples to inflict a wound. The short answer is in this little purely hypothetical test. Drop a .22 projectile fron three feet and catch it in your hand; no problem right. Now imagine (do not try this) dropping a sharpened conventional broad head from three feet and catching it; see the difference. That said from a kinetic energy stand point I am sure someone here can do the calculation, I can't; though I suspect the arrow at 400 or so grains packs more energy.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Head shot--.22
    Lung shot-- broad head.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

The arrow doesn't need to hit hard, unlike the bullet the hunting arrow is designed to cause severe bleeding. A good hit from a sharp hunting tip will cause an animal to bleed out rather quickly.

Michael

VIP Member
    Your trying to compare apples and oranges. 275 gr arrow tipped with a 100 gr broadhead will pass clean through an animal,leaving a massive entry and exit wound. A 40 gr .22 bullet will probably not pass through and will leave only a small entry hole. The arrow is going to cause a massive bleed out in a short period of time, the .22 may very well clog up and if no vital organs are hit heal over.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Your trying to compare apples and oranges. 275 gr arrow tipped with a 100 gr broadhead will pass clean through an animal,leaving a massive entry and exit wound. A 40 gr .22 bullet will probably not pass through and will leave only a small entry hole. The arrow is going to cause a massive bleed out in a short period of time, the .22 may very well clog up and if no vital organs are hit heal over.
    Correct!

Also, a broadhead tipped arrow kills by massive hemorhaging (blood loss). The razor blades cut blood vessels, arteries and do massive destruction to anything they hit. The broadhead is by far the more lethal weapon.

A .22 bullet, unless placed directly into the central nervous system or directly into the brain, is no match to the damage a well placed arrow can do.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Single shot effectiveness aside, it takes way less training to be able to put a shot on target with a .22 than a bow. Not to mention that with a semi auto .22, one can empty a mag on target before one could get a second shot off with a bow. I believe the above assessments to be correct, but if SHTF and I need to procure some food, I'd take a semi .22 over a bow.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I think you guys are forgetting effective range as well. I can put a.22 right where I want it 120 yards with a decent gun. I can't and don't many that are that accurate with a Bow at that range.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

We were testing various rounds on some very old armor, and got a real surprise. The only pistol round that penetrated more than a standard velocity .22 round (from a rifle) was a .357 Sig round. One of the deputy sheriff's said"I'll never say he only had a .22 again!"
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    I think you guys are forgetting effective range as well. I can put a.22 right where I want it 120 yards with a decent gun. I can't and don't many that are that accurate with a Bow at that range.
    Just roll with the OPs parameters of 50 and 25 yards; the OP didn't mention longer ranges.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Comparing apples and oranges but...

My 415 grain hunting shafts leave my bow at 258 fps with +/- 61#s of kinetic energy. They easily pass through deer out to 30 yards (the longest distance I've shot one) & bury themselves in the ground on the far side.

Don't know how much energy a .22 has a 50 yards off the top of my head.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Kinetic energy beyond that which is necessary to exit the target is irrelevant.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links