11 year old girl shoots like a pro! - Page 2

11 year old girl shoots like a pro!

This is a discussion on 11 year old girl shoots like a pro! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; She was shooting a Glock 19...that video (and a couple of others) were taken while she was attending Tactical Response's "Fighting Pistol" class....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 year old girl shoots like a pro!

She was shooting a Glock 19...that video (and a couple of others) were taken while she was attending Tactical Response's "Fighting Pistol" class.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    I was lead to believe this is the same girl in this video, breaking down an AR15
    YouTube - what a daughter can do to make her dad happy

McKenzie, she has a bunch of youtube vids YouTube - 11 girl shooting

Yep thats her. I was about to post the same thing.
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Excellent--good gun control, obviously set up to test her responses to stoppages/duds, etc., and she clearly has been working at it.
    Perhaps...I had assumed she was limp wristing...but what you say makes sense.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Perhaps...I had assumed she was limp wristing...but what you say makes sense.
    No--she wasn't limp-wristing. In fact, she had very firm grip and muzzle flip was quite limited--especially considering her age and size. I'm quite sure that was a set up test; and she passed with flying colors...

That's too cool! I have 11 year old twin girls. I could see one of them being just like this. I have a 1911 .45 and a 38 special. They've never shot a gun yet, but I'd really like to teach them. I don't have a .22 pistol, and I wouldn't think anything about handling a .22 would prepare them for the recoil of a bigger gun. I'm inclined to work with her on learning how to shoot the .45. I wasn't sure that was a good idea. Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    That's too cool! I have 11 year old twin girls. I could see one of them being just like this. I have a 1911 .45 and a 38 special. They've never shot a gun yet, but I'd really like to teach them. I don't have a .22 pistol, and I wouldn't think anything about handling a .22 would prepare them for the recoil of a bigger gun. I'm inclined to work with her on learning how to shoot the .45. I wasn't sure that was a good idea. Comments?
    when I still had a 1911 (GM), the recoil felt like it was lighter than my Glock 19.

I say let her try it without scaring her by talking about recoil.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    when I still had a 1911 (GM), the recoil felt like it was lighter than my Glock 19.

I say let her try it without scaring her by talking about recoil.
    The .38 Rossi I have has a lot more recoil than the 1911. I don't think there's any other way than just to dive in and have her give it a try. Proper instruction of course. I mentioned that one of my girls could be like the girl in this video. Should of seen the look on the other girl's face this morning when I mentioned it. Priceless!

What kind of rules do gun ranges typically have on children?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    I have a 17 yr old step daughter who is very petite. I taught her to shoot using my G30 (.45) without any trouble except that her arms got tired holding up the gun. Recoil wasn't an issue, but I was also careful to explain the reality of it and the fact that shooting a gun is NOTHING like what you see in the movies.

A couple of suggestions:

For new shooters (especially kids) the range can be a very distracting environment, even if you're the only ones there. The anxiety or anticipation of shooting can interfere with the concentration that a new shooter needs when listening to instruction.
    Things to do BEFORE going to the range:

1. Cover the rules of safety (especially trigger finger discipline and keeping the muzzle pointed downrange).
    2. Introduce them to grip, sighting, and posture.
    3. Disassemble the gun and let them examine the individual parts.
    4. Have them dryfire the weapon.

Keep these things at a beginner level. There's no need to grill 'em and drill 'em on every detail (remember, if all the fun is taken out of the experience they probably won't be interested in doing it again).

At the range, your only concern should be safety. Don't fuss over their technique or the finer points of either combat or target shooting; these things can be gradually covered on later trips. For that first visit just worry about safety and answering their questions.

Keep the visit short. You want to leave while it's still fun, not after it's turned boring.

Let them know you're proud of how well they shot (save those targets!) but, more importantly, let them know how proud you are of the way they handled the experience.

Finally comes the hard part: Don't invite them to the range for a while. Let them absorb this incredible new experience for a week or two. Then casually mention that you might go to the range "next Saturday" (or whenever) and see how they react. Hopefully you'll get the "take me, too!!" response, but don't worry if it doesn't happen. Let them set their own pace for it. If you cajole them into going when they don't really want to, they'll lose all interest pretty quickly.

That's about all I can think of. Good luck!
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Excellent advice. Thanks

I have a 11 yr old girl and we been to the range a few times in the last yr! She learned all the safety rules at home and how to assemble and disassemble my handguns and rifles. We also went over basic firing techniques. To make it fun I gave her $1.00 every time she hit black and $3.00 every time she hit a Bull! Now she ask me almost every weekend if I am going to the range. THIS IS ALSO GREAT ONE ON ONE TIME! Started with P22 and Bersa 380, working our way you to XD 45.

Remember Safety First!

R/S Lego

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTLEGO View Post
    I have a 11 yr old girl and we been to the range a few times in the last yr! She learned all the safety rules at home and how to assemble and disassemble my handguns and rifles. We also went over basic firing techniques. To make it fun I gave her $1.00 every time she hit black and $3.00 every time she hit a Bull! Now she ask me almost every weekend if I am going to the range. THIS IS ALSO GREAT ONE ON ONE TIME! Started with P22 and Bersa 380, working our way you to XD 45.

Remember Safety First!
    How much ($) are you out now?

I got smart and limited her at $50.00

R/S Lego

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links