Loaded shotgun in truck gun rack?

This is a discussion on Loaded shotgun in truck gun rack? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is a story I was told. A friend's relative was traveling up to MI from a southern state where it is legal to have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loaded shotgun in truck gun rack?

Loaded shotgun in truck gun rack?

Here is a story I was told. A friend's relative was traveling up to MI from a southern state where it is legal to have a loaded shotgun in truck gun rack with a permit.

1st question, are there states that allow this method of transportation?

In MI, this method of transportation, displayed in back window of truck (even unload), is not legal.

2nd question, is it ilegal in MI to display a loaded or unloaded shotgun on a gunrack in a vehicle?

The relative was stopped several times, but because he had a permit, MI LEO thanked him for his time and sent him on his way.

3rd question, would MI honor the permit of another state for a method it does not allow in MI?

This is a story that has been told a few times, I have never challenged it, but I have never quited believed it could be true. Thoughts?

PS - I have also been told that as long as you were a resident of that other state, and it was legal (without permit) in that other state, you could transport out in the open (on an interstate highway) while traveling in MI, as long as your final destination was not in MI. Is this right?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Folks drive around here with guns in racks in the back windows of their pickup trucks quite a lot. Of course this is Arkansas, and something like that is expected here. I've never done this personally, but I seem to end up driving along behind a lot of them. Is it legal? What does the 2nd amendment say about it?

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    im live in michigan and i know for a fact that the only gun u can have loaded is a pistol and u have to have a cpl to do that. the rule on transporting guns is they have to be unloaded and out of reach of the ocupints of the car.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

If you're caught with a gun on display in a gun rack, and that gun isn't unloaded and taken down, you're breaking the law.

As far as I know it is legal in SC to carry a loaded Shotgun in a gun rack in SC and you don't need a permit of any kind.Used to do it all the time when I was younger never had a issue. You don't see it used much these days as it is just asking for your gun to get stolen. Most people carry behind the seat on in a locked toolbox in the bed.

in PA, long guns have to be unloaded for transporting. i've seen people with them in gun racks, so i'm assuming that they don't have to be out of sight for transport. an LTCF is needed to carry loaded handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    ...Except as otherwise permitted by law...
    Not a nail in the coffin of the tail I've been told. I still doubt the story is accurate.

Oh well. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut. IMO, bad idea, in MI, to storer a shotgun in a gun rack in a truck.

The full story was the relative had a permit to carry in that method and was traveling through MI on an interstate.

To add to the tail, the police stopped him, he showed the permit, he complained to MSP, they told him to get ready to be stopped often, as was not the norm in MI, he said then he would but then for some reason permit would not applpy and he would be illegal, MSP told him no way to stop the traffice stops then.

Ahh...I need a lawyer to refute the tail...and just not worth it...
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

mrm
    People drive around here all the time with them in gun racks and so do I occasionally, (dont like to cause I see what gun racks can do to a stock in Montana with our roads) but it is perfectly legal (how else can you stop and quickly shoot the goffer on the side of the gravel road)
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Dang boy, ain't you never been to Texas? When you git your drivers license, first thing you do is head down to the local Walmart and git you one of them winder racks for your deer rifle. Heck you ain't no American if you ain't got one.

Oh, oh, ok, yes, it is legal in some states to carry loaded long guns in open view in your vehicle, but no it wouldn't be legal to do it in a state that outlaws it for their own citizens just because I am from Texas. Yes I know some of the rest of you wish we could just bring our laws into your states but your legislatures are kind of narrow minded about stuff like that. However if you ever come to Texas, your free to display your long gun in the back window if you so choose.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Not a nail in the coffin of the tail I've been told. I still doubt the story is accurate.

Oh well. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut. IMO, bad idea, in MI, to storer a shotgun in a gun rack in a truck.

The full story was the relative had a permit to carry in that method and was traveling through MI on an interstate.

To add to the tail, the police stopped him, he showed the permit, he complained to MSP, they told him to get ready to be stopped often, as was not the norm in MI, he said then he would but then for some reason permit would not applpy and he would be illegal, MSP told him no way to stop the traffice stops then.

Ahh...I need a lawyer to refute the tail...and just not worth it...
    Federal law allows for someone to carry an otherwise illegal weapon through a state as long as their origin and destination states allow the weapon.

The law doesn't authorize a person to carry the firearm in an illegal manner. The gun must be locked, unloaded, in the trunk.

For instance: I have a Glock 17 with me, on my way to Minnesota from Michigan. I have a CPL issued by the state of MI. It's legal for me to conceal in MI, IN, and MS. However, It's not legal for me to conceal in Illinois. That means I can't keep my gun on my hip, even though the rest of the drive allows me to. I have to change mode of carry before entering the state of Illinois.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    (how else can you stop and quickly shoot the goffer on the side of the gravel road)
    Do this in Montana and you're committing a crime. It's illegal to shoot from, on or across a highway or road.

See MCA 61-8-369.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

It will get you busted by the first LEO that sees it here in the Peoples
    Republic of Illinois.

I don't use gun racks anymore ,EVER,all they do is advertise there is a gun in this vehicle and if you leave it unattended are probably gonna get your window busted and gun stolen
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Heck here in Wyoming if you don't have some sort of loaded firearm in your vehicle you must just be a tourist. Perfectly legal. Concealed carry permit is if you want to carry concealed on your person only.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't use gun racks anymore ,EVER,all they do is advertise there is a gun in this vehicle and if you leave it unattended are probably gonna get your window busted and gun stolen
    Yep.

In these days and times it makes little sense regardless of state or compass direction.
    Further the instance per the OP violates Federal interstate firearm transport laws.

I doubt the story occurred as told in so many words be it 'relative' to 'friend' to Thanis.
    These things never do.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links