Round counting: frame or barrel?

This is a discussion on Round counting: frame or barrel? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I keep track of all the rounds I fire through my guns. Nothing fancy, just a text file for each gun where I track the ...

Thread: Round counting: frame or barrel?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

I keep track of all the rounds I fire through my guns. Nothing fancy, just a text file for each gun where I track the date, the ammo type, and the number of rounds. Plenty good enough for me...

Now my conundrum. I just bought a P220 Carry SAO. I already have a P220 full-size DA/SA. I intend to swap the full-size upper onto the SAO, though I would expect the full-size still to see some occasional use on the DA/SA frame.

What to do? I want to say that tracking rounds through the barrel is more important, but all my files are organized by frame (that is, by S/N).

Suggestions?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I keep track of all the rounds I fire through my guns. Nothing fancy, just a text file for each gun where I track the date, the ammo type, and the number of rounds. Plenty good enough for me...

Now my conundrum. I just bought a P220 Carry SAO. I already have a P220 full-size DA/SA. I intend to swap the full-size upper onto the SAO, though I would expect the full-size still to see some occasional use on the DA/SA frame.

What to do? I want to say that tracking rounds through the barrel is more important, but all my files are organized by frame (that is, by S/N).

Suggestions?
    Not sure what you log it on but I keep a log book as well. I have monthly and yearly totals so I can see at a glance how many rounds I have thru it

How about 2 numbers separated by a slash first could be barrel total second frame such as

23/545 next time you shot say 50 rounds it would read 73/595. It is just a thought, mine indicate month and year to date.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Just outta curiosity... why are you counting rounds...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I keep track of the number of boxes through each gun.

If it were me, I would keep an eye on the recoil spring and the barrel. Those are the only two parts I've ever known anyone to have wear out, and personally I have only worn out one recoil spring, on my XD45 just after it's 75th box.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Just outta curiosity... why are you counting rounds...?
    Keep track of how much I shoot. Keep track of how many rounds since I cleaned the gun. Keep track of what types of rounds I shoot. And to keep track of how much use each weapon has seen.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I log my shooting as well. I have a small book in my range bag that I log how many and what type of rounds I shot. If I were to have any issues I would make note of that too.

I just like to see how reliable it's been and I figure if I ever go to sell, it might be useful information to a potential buyer.

I also keep track of every single maintenance item my truck has ever undergone (transmission, tires, brakes, fuel system cleaner, oil, air filter, wax). Same concept there.

Not sure on how to track your situation though, it is an interesting question for sure.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member
    Frame. Barrels can be swapped or replaced via aftermarket. The frame (trigger, hammer and sear) are what counts the most.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Frame. Barrels can be swapped or replaced via aftermarket. The frame (trigger, hammer and sear) are what counts the most.
    I honestly don't know a good answer....but does the barrel and slide not take the brunt of the use when I gun is fired? I don't know, that's just what I immediately think...
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Who cares? Flip a coin.

But really - the frame. atctimmy is right. Anyhow the frame is what has the serial number on it - when you start having a few of the same gun it will be easier for you.

Austin

I can understand counting rounds as far as the frame and some springs go. As for the barrel round count would not matter to me. I would be looking for accuracy loss and nothing else. Why would anyone change out an accurate barrel because of the ammount of rounds fired?

Michael

Not that I would wish this on anybody, but if you are ever involved in a shooting, the investigator(s) will want to know how well the gun has been maintained, how many rounds have been shot through it and what type of ammo, how often you practice with the gun, has it ever been seen by a gunsmith and so on and so on. So, it's a good idea to keep records of your weapons from the day you buy them to the day leave your possesion.

A small book that is easily accessible can be a great use. You don't have to do any elaborate spreadsheet but just something to keep track of the above mentioned items.

Sponsored Links