Petition for an XD 10mm

Petition for an XD 10mm

This is a discussion on Petition for an XD 10mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hopefully if SA can see that people want the gun they will get the Croatians to produce it. To: Springfield Armory This petition is to ...

Thread: Petition for an XD 10mm

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar

Petition for an XD 10mm

Hopefully if SA can see that people want the gun they will get the Croatians to produce it.

To: Springfield Armory

This petition is to let Springfield Armory know about any demand for a 10mm version of the XD based on the larger 45ACP XD frame. Please consider producing this pistol and aid in making the 10mm round, that has maintained a strong and loyal following in the shooting community, a mainstream round again.

Sincerely,

10mm Version of the XD Pistol Petition

It may not hurt to print and mail the petition also, might get their attention better with a few hundred envelopes on their desks.

Springfield Armory
    420 West Main Street
    Geneseo, Illinois

Thanks.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure the XD is heavy enough fot the 10mm round.

Administrator
    I think you are asking for trouble. It like those guys who cram huge HP engines into a car designed to be a 4 banger.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glock has one. It doesn't blow up on a daily basis. Because they did a few minutes of research and built a gun that would handle the round.

The HS 2000 couldn't handle the .45acp round either. They redesigned it stuck the XD name on it and made it work, what a concept.

If people sign the petition that would show SA interest and they could have the Croatians produce one, just like the Austrian's did.

I never said stick a 10mm barrel in the 9mm frame, but thanks for putting a negative spin on the subject right off the bat. I appreciate that.

Distinguished Member
    Take it with a grain (maybe a truck load) of salt. Sixto might have a slight bias against XD's.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post

I never said stick a 10mm barrel in the 9mm frame, but thanks for putting a negative spin on the subject right off the bat. I appreciate that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Take it with a grain (maybe a truck load) of salt. Sixto might have a slight bias against XD's.

Z

And I never said it would blow up and it would be impossible. Thanks for putting words in my 'mouth' I appreciate that. If you simply wanted people to say "yeah that'd be great" and blow sunshine up your backside you shouldnt solicit opinions on a open forum. But lets move on from that.

I'm saying you are wasting your time. The market isn't there for it. Glock produced its 10mm frames for a specific purpose. At the time LE contracts were still looking for 10mm guns. They needed to compete. They make them in limited numbers today.
    Springfield doesn't have any contracts to make a 10mm XD for and they don't exactly compete for any large government contracts with the XD. It simply wouldn't be cost effective to re engineer a pistol to accommodate a niche caliber. What the XD does is appeal to the masses and keeps its price low based on the numbers. Its a high volume seller. A 10mm no matter the make or model is not a hot seller.

No matter though, good luck. I hope you get what you are asking for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Dang SIXTO, sounds like you toutch a nerve

Im surprised Glock still offers them myself!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Say what you want about Sixto and his dislike for the XD...he always comes out with a rational explanation for his thinking...whether you agree or not. Not like all the Glock haters and what not...who say "I dont like plastic. BOO."

I dont particularly care about the XD myself...looks and feel just aren't right for my taste.

Anyhow...the 10 mm is kind of a specialty round. It is a very viable round for SD, HD, and hunting. It is however not a great whirlwind force on the SD, HD market. XD is going after two markets...civilian CCW, and HD, and LE. They have really only succeeded in the civilian market and they only have a very small piece of a much bigger pie.

Glock basically is making its money on the G20 and 29, because of the CCWers who "carry the big stuff", and hunters. I am told it will drop a feral hog like a sack of bricks. I wish you luck on changing the minds of Springfield. We all need to make sure these companies take care of us. God Speed.
    Last edited by jwhite75; April 2nd, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And I never said it would blow up and it would be impossible. Thanks for putting words in my 'mouth' I appreciate that. If you simply wanted people to say "yeah that'd be great" and blow sunshine up your backside you shouldn't solicit opinions on a open forum. But lets move on from that.

I'm saying you are wasting your time. The market isn't there for it. Glock produced its 10mm frames for a specific purpose. At the time LE contracts were still looking for 10mm guns. They needed to compete. They make them in limited numbers today.
    Springfield doesn't have any contracts to make a 10mm XD for and they don't exactly compete for any large government contracts with the XD. It simply wouldn't be cost effective to re engineer a pistol to accommodate a niche caliber. What the XD does is appeal to the masses and keeps its price low based on the numbers. Its a high volume seller. A 10mm no matter the make or model is not a hot seller.

No matter though, good luck. I hope you get what you are asking for.
    I guess the little car big engine thing means it will work out flawless. I am an idiot for not seeing that, sorry.

NOWHERE in the OP did I "solicit opinions". I said if you want one sign it, kind of simple I thought. I was wrong again.

Not on question mark in the OP, yet I was "asking somthing." Interesting concept there. I assumed it was a statement. I am dumb.

Googled up these numbers for 2007 for total Glock sales in the US.

.40 caliber: 116,100
    9mm: 104,500
    .45 caliber: 42,400
    357 SIG: 19,400
    .45 GAP: 18,000
    10 mm: 17,600

According to that, there are 17,600 idiots that paid around $500.00 per gun for a 10mm. (about 6% of Glock US sales)

At $500.00 per gun that would be $8,800,000.00, let’s say just for giggles that the gun cost $250.00 to make. That would leave $4,400,000.00 Lets take the 1/2 mil it would cost to make the mold, then we have $3,900,000.00 left, then if SA gets half of that we are left with $1,950,000.00 another half for what ever purpose, we now are left with $975,000.00, lets go half again, to buy new brooms for the factory. We know are left with $487,500.00. That is just short of half a million dollars. Not to shabby for a useless caliber that nobody wants.

I know 3 people with a Glock 10mm that would sell them and switch to XD, mainly because they don’t like Glock. These figures are from an idiot truck driver and it seems that if a Croatian company can make a million US, it would seem a good idea to make customers happy.

Since you decided to crap all over the idea, might as well just close the thread now.

I apologize for thinking that since a few hundred people on different forums have said it would be nice to have(since a low percentage of gun buyers are on the couple forums I read), and that I have the nerve to post such a stupid mindless idea for those of us idiots to have something that would be nice.

BAC
    Of the 10mm weapons, the Glocks are considered to be among the better options available. Their models were created at a time when the 10mm was gonna be the new FBI and US law enforcement round... and it was for a very, very brief while.

Here's another way to look at it, Super Trucker: according to those numbers, Glock sold 300,400 firearms in calibers other than 10mm, and 282.4k weapons in calibers other than 10mm and .45 GAP. Demand for the 9mm and .40 S&W Glocks is increasing. Sig is losing LE contracts lately and Glock is, as they usually are, aggressive in their marketing. Another sad fact is that the 10mm is just not as popular a caliber (which is a tragedy, but that's besides the point). Pretend, for a moment that Glock did not currently make a 10mm firearm. Given what I described above, and viewed from a business standpoint, should Glock invest in a 10mm weapon?

Now imagine all of that for Springfield, and consider their perspective. Is it worth the investment, as a company?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

^
    Yeah I would take a Glock over a Dan Wesson or Colt any day

You are correct it would be completly stupid for them to build a gun that they would break even on just to keep customers happy.

Because as we all know unhappy customers are what make the profits for companys, right?
    [/sarcasm off]

437 people signed the thing before I posted it here. So apparently I am not the only person interested
    BTW I highy regret even putting it here now.

BTW the 10mm gun for the FBI were S&W's.

BAC
    The point of a business is not to break even on a project, it's to make a profit on a project. An investment, which new molds and manufacturing equipment is, implies a return greater than the amount originally invested. Do you know why the 10mm was developed, and Smith & Wesson originally invested in it? They believed 10mm was going to be the cartridge for law enforcement moving into the future. S&W got the first look by the FBI, and politics killed an excellent gun in an excellent caliber, which effectively killed the 10mm's popularity before it ever carved out a market for itself.

I don't understand why you're taking this personally. A mass-production gun isn't made for 500, or 1,000, or even 10,000 people. It's made because the manufacturer sees a demand from a sizable market. Right now, no such market exists for a caliber that is hard to find and expensive, and was even before all of this post-election frenzy buying. Manufacturers also aren't immune to the economic currents around them, so they need sure-sellers.

Let me repeat my earlier question: if Glock did not already have a 10mm weapon in production, do you think they would invest in fielding a 10mm weapon right now?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Administrator
    My only point was the market will not support such an endeavor. I didn't bash the platform and I didn't bash the caliber. In fact, I really like the 10mm. The point was with the little car/big engine is you have to put so much into a car designed for a small engine to beef it up in order to handle the big one, you might as well start with a car meant for the big engine in the first place. A new XD would have to be designed to support the 10mm. And looking at the numbers you posted from Glock, it would not be profitable for them to do so.

I also didn't discourage anybody from signing the petition, I hope they do build a 10mm. In fact, I'm going right now to sign it. I signed one in grade school to get a pizza day twice a week, that one didn't work either. I won't be holding my breath for this one.
    The fact that this thread has been going for 3 days with the posts it has makes my point for me.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 3rd, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry about the pizza thing Sixto....that must have been hard.

I think everybody's point is that the fact they aren't already making a 10 to compete with the Glocks kinda shows they really don't have the conifdence that it would be a money maker...kinda like the fact they discontinued the .45 GAP models and IIRC don't make a .357 sig or don't sell many. Like I said before...good luck on your quest. Hope you get what your after.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

SIXTO,
    Thank you for signing it. As you said it may be a waste of time, but I now know that somebody did request it, kind of takes the doubt away.

Links